PDA

View Full Version : 70-300mm repair quote - Ouch!

pandora
19th January 2011, 03:02 AM
The Verdict

OLYMPUS QUOTE
70-300MM
Product Description
160538 EZ-7030
Serial No. 256083603
Description 256083603
Fault Reported Lens Faulty,Estimate,
Reported Faults Stopped focusing in both AF and M modes, switched lenses and worked fine. AF
position it just makes a slight sound, in 'M' position the focusing ring doesnt focus.
Service Actions Repair lens assy,Recalibrate as required,Clean & test all functions,
Service Details
Customer's
Accessories
Lens, lens hood, box, lens cap, base cap.
Condition: Slight scratches to unt.
Product Description Quantity GST Value
Total Labour 19.80 198.00
Spare Parts
VG439300 GEAR CASE UNIT 1 EA 2.76 27.61
VG438800 MAIN BARREL UNIT 1 EA 6.68 66.84
Total Spare Parts 9.44 94.45
Total ( Incl. GST ) 321.69

The quote is in Aussie Dollars which currently is at parity with the US Dollar.
The quote is unacceptable as for less than $100.00 I can buy a new 70-300mm with a 1 year warranty.
But disconcerting questions about the build quality of this lens are of concern.

Ross the fiddler
19th January 2011, 04:58 AM
Ouch! That is not cheap.

Maybe you could put your money towards a 50-200 SWD lens with an EC14. It will only cost a bit more ;).

I wonder if the motor failure has anything to do with what seems to be a possible collaboration with Sigma on this one.

pandora
19th January 2011, 07:05 AM
I wouldn't know about any collaboration with Sigma, Ross.
I can replace the 70-300 for around 400.00 but I have pretty much abandoned the idea of replacing it.
On your advice I've been reading up on the 50-200 SWD, impressive. I'm also getting very serious about E-P2.

Ross the fiddler
19th January 2011, 09:37 AM
I wouldn't know about any collaboration with Sigma, Ross.
I can replace the 70-300 for around 400.00 but I have pretty much abandoned the idea of replacing it.
On your advice I've been reading up on the 50-200 SWD, impressive. I'm also getting very serious about E-P2.

The Sigma 70-300 is the same specs (as the Oly) & the Olympus one is the only Oly lens with a MF/AF switch, that's why some of us think the Oly ZD70-300 could have been made in some sort of agreement between the two companies.

Is your interest in the EP2 or the new EPL-2 (available next month)? If you wait a couple of more months the new high level PEN will be announced & the micro ZD75-300 might be an interesting lens (though not all that cheap). I think the micro ZD14-150 would be a convenient lens to have. Just more new things to tempt us.

pandora
19th January 2011, 11:09 AM
Ross, I'm afraid I'm not such a techie. I wasn't even aware of the release next month of an EPL-2.
Dammit ... why can't they release just one camera every couple of years rather than a bunch of similar ones every few months.
Generally I don't have much use for 14-150, I am mostly a long lens shooter.
My first priority is to acquire a new long lens and the 50-200 SWD with an EC14 could suit me well.
I am presently scoping out prices from reputable sources.

Ross the fiddler
19th January 2011, 11:48 AM
Ross, I'm afraid I'm not such a techie. I wasn't even aware of the release next month of an EPL-2.
Dammit ... why can't they release just one camera every couple of years rather than a bunch of similar ones every few months.
Generally I don't have much use for 14-150, I am mostly a long lens shooter.
My first priority is to acquire a new long lens and the 50-200 SWD with an EC14 could suit me well.
I am presently scoping out prices from reputable sources.

I shouldn't be so caught up with drooling over the latest gear & wasting time reading rumours etc., but a few things can be learnt along with peoples wishful dreams which can be a distraction. You can read all the latest news from Olympus if you like http://www.olympus.com.au/content/blogcategory/33/104/ including their latest P&S camera, High Performance OLYMPUS XZ-1 compact digital camera & as Cathrine Spikkarud puts it, the Olympusexy one. :D

pandora
19th January 2011, 12:10 PM
As I understand it, MFT lenses such as the micro ZD75-300 are not compatible with Oly E-series, but E-series FT lenses are compatible with Oly MFT cameras with lens adaptor, am I correct? If so, then for its interchangeability the 50-200 SWD is the way I would want to go.

Falk
19th January 2011, 02:02 PM
Mark, to bad this turned out just the way I thought. I've just the same problem with my E-520 right now - the money to repair the front focus problems I have encountered recently will get me a new body - almost :(

Bikie John
19th January 2011, 02:17 PM
As I understand it, MFT lenses such as the micro ZD75-300 are not compatible with Oly E-series, but E-series FT lenses are compatible with Oly MFT cameras with lens adaptor, am I correct? If so, then for its interchangeability the 50-200 SWD is the way I would want to go.

You understand correctly Mark. The mount-to-sensor distance is quite a bit larger for grown-up 4/3rds (i.e. the E-series) than Micro 4/3rds (i.e. the Pens and Panasonic G-series). So you can get an adapter to fit a big 4/3 lens onto a micro 4/3 body, but not the other way round.

There is a fair degree of compatibility in the electronic communication between the two systems, so you should get good function with a big lens on a small body. But there seem to be some restrictions, so if a particular feature on a particular lens/body combo is important to you it will be worth checking.

The history is that 4/3rds was first. Micro-4/3rds came along a couple of years ago, the intention being to have a system which is smaller all round. The major change leading to size reduction is that micro 4/3rds does not have an SLR-style mirror to get in the way, so the lenses can be mounted closer to the sensor. All viewfinders are electronic, many models have a choice of a display on the back of the body or one that you look into like an old-fashioned camera. The Panasonic G's have this integrated into the bodies, so they look a bit like small SLRs. The Panny GF1 and (most of) the Oly Pens offer it through an accessory veiwfinder that goes in the hot shoe.

The 50-200 and EC14 combo is very useful on an E. I haven't tried it on micro 4/3rds.

Hope this helps a bit ... John

Andrew Riddell
19th January 2011, 04:45 PM
The 50-200 and EC14 combo is very useful on an E. I haven't tried it on micro 4/3rds.

I've tried the 50-200 (non-SWG version) and E14 on an EP2 and it works fine. AF is fine for static subjects, but may be a little slow for others. However, I find I do need to use the clip-on VF2 to get the traditional 3 conntact points (2 hands + face) and that means you also need the wider eyecup (the EP9) on the VF2. Mind you, it also gives you a much easier view as well as helping you support the gear.

Andrew

pandora
19th January 2011, 09:20 PM
Mark, to bad this turned out just the way I thought. I've just the same problem with my E-520 right now - the money to repair the front focus problems I have encountered recently will get me a new body - almost :(
Falk, do you mean that you have a kaput 70-300mm also? If so then you are the 2nd person I know with the same problem. Maybe that's why that lens is relatively cheap although I admit that mine has had a very good workout over the past 2 years.

You understand correctly Mark. The mount-to-sensor distance is quite a bit larger for grown-up 4/3rds (i.e. the E-series) than Micro 4/3rds (i.e. the Pens and Panasonic G-series). So you can get an adapter to fit a big 4/3 lens onto a micro 4/3 body, but not the other way round.

There is a fair degree of compatibility in the electronic communication between the two systems, so you should get good function with a big lens on a small body. But there seem to be some restrictions, so if a particular feature on a particular lens/body combo is important to you it will be worth checking.

The history is that 4/3rds was first. Micro-4/3rds came along a couple of years ago, the intention being to have a system which is smaller all round. The major change leading to size reduction is that micro 4/3rds does not have an SLR-style mirror to get in the way, so the lenses can be mounted closer to the sensor. All viewfinders are electronic, many models have a choice of a display on the back of the body or one that you look into like an old-fashioned camera. The Panasonic G's have this integrated into the bodies, so they look a bit like small SLRs. The Panny GF1 and (most of) the Oly Pens offer it through an accessory veiwfinder that goes in the hot shoe.

The 50-200 and EC14 combo is very useful on an E. I haven't tried it on micro 4/3rds. Hope this helps a bit ... John
Thanks for the history, John - when the 4/3rds concept first broke a younger mind tracked its development with some excitement and interest, more so than it can muster now - much like sex, I'm afraid. *zzz

When coupled with a heavier FT lens I'm wondering what the balance is like with a Pen? I don't much like the idea of a clip on ELV - could easily get busted, surely?

I've tried the 50-200 (non-SWG version) and E14 on an EP2 and it works fine. AF is fine for static subjects, but may be a little slow for others. However, I find I do need to use the clip-on VF2 to get the traditional 3 conntact points (2 hands + face) and that means you also need the wider eyecup (the EP9) on the VF2. Mind you, it also gives you a much easier view as well as helping you support the gear. Andrew

How do the SW and SWG versions differ? I am likely to buy the 50-200 this month so it is important that I know which will suit me better. I have to say that undefined acronyms are a pain. SWD (Super Wave Drive), VF (Viewfinder), EP (Eye piece) I know and are ok. Market driven technology moves too fast.

Nick Temple-Fry
19th January 2011, 10:05 PM
I don't much like the idea of a clip on ELV - could easily get busted, surely?

The evf clips into a usb style port and onto the camera hotshoe attachment - it's quite solid/secure

Nick

pandora
19th January 2011, 10:54 PM
I don't much like the idea of a clip on ELV - could easily get busted, surely?
The evf clips into a usb style port and onto the camera hotshoe attachment - it's quite solid/secure Nick
From photos of the setup it appears that the evf must be attached and removed before and after use like a speedlight to minimise risk of damage.

Andrew Riddell
19th January 2011, 11:55 PM
From photos of the setup it appears that the evf must be attached and removed before and after use like a speedlight to minimise risk of damage.

No. You can take it on or off while the camera is on. If you've been using it and take it off, the camera just reverts to the live view mode on the rear screen. If you put it back on again, you just need to press the button on the VF2 to go back to it from the rear screen.

Andrew

Nick Temple-Fry
20th January 2011, 12:42 AM

The evf (vf-2) is a solidly constructed bit of kit, mine sits permanently on my E-PL1, the port and the hotshoe provide a very rugged support. I really wouldn't be worried about damage other than in a camera threatening incident.

Nick

pandora
20th January 2011, 01:26 AM
No. You can take it on or off while the camera is on. If you've been using it and take it off, the camera just reverts to the live view mode on the rear screen. If you put it back on again, you just need to press the button on the VF2 to go back to it from the rear screen. Andrew
The evf (vf-2) is a solidly constructed bit of kit, mine sits permanently on my E-PL1, the port and the hotshoe provide a very rugged support. I really wouldn't be worried about damage other than in a camera threatening incident. Nick
Thanks, Andrew and Nick for that reassuring advice.

Falk
20th January 2011, 01:54 AM
Falk, do you mean that you have a kaput 70-300mm also? If so then you are the 2nd person I know with the same problem. Maybe that's why that lens is relatively cheap although I admit that mine has had a very good workout over the past 2 years.

Mark, my 70-300 is fine, it's my E-520 body which has some AF problems and if I want to get it repaired it will cost almost the amount of a new one. You had already mentioned your 70-300 is out for repair in an other threat somewhere and I had asked if this makes sense, because of the costs etc. - doesn't matter.

If your zoom is already doomed you can add an eyepiece and try to make a telescope out of it. It should make an interesting looking birdfeeder too :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Falk

pandora
20th January 2011, 03:36 AM
Falk, If you are interested I'll sell you my E-520 body only (excluding BLM1) that has had relatively little use since I bought the E-3 four months later.

The shutter count is 4,666 and I still have the original box.

Why not PM me an offer in AUD? :)

Falk
20th January 2011, 10:31 AM
Only 4666 releases? A virtual virgin ;)
Many thanks Mark, but no. The wife has signaled green light for an E-5! I would be an IDIOT not to jump at this opportunity, not? If your spare were an E-30, well, different story. For weeks I am thinking between both models, throu and fro. Actually, for roughly the same money, I've settled now for an E-30 plus the 12-60, which I am lacking. Problem is, the E-30 is getting scarce already - and more expensive. My search for either an E-30 kit or E-5 body got me into this forum ...

pandora
20th January 2011, 06:15 PM
As much as I would like to recoup some of my few hundred $$$ on the E-520 I think you are wise to be upgrading. I'm not expecting the E-520 to be easy to unload. It will probably just gather dust in the cupboard - it's not such a bad camera nevertheless.

Good luck in your quest for an E30, Falk! :)

Ross the fiddler
20th January 2011, 11:12 PM
Only 4666 releases? A virtual virgin ;)
Many thanks Mark, but no. The wife has signaled green light for an E-5! I would be an IDIOT not to jump at this opportunity, not? If your spare were an E-30, well, different story. For weeks I am thinking between both models, throu and fro. Actually, for roughly the same money, I've settled now for an E-30 plus the 12-60, which I am lacking. Problem is, the E-30 is getting scarce already - and more expensive. My search for either an E-30 kit or E-5 body got me into this forum ...

I like the E30 but if I had a choice now (with money available), I would be going for the E5. Just 2 days ago I went out in the rain with a plastic bag over my camera & thought, now if this was an E5 I wouldn't need to worry about the rain. I took photos of the water streaming through my backyard (but I won't post it in respect for those suffering from severe floods recently & now) & there will be other times a weatherproof body would be good. The added available detail & more features (with higher level of customising) & bigger & much better display (& a little bigger OVF) would be worth stretching the budget for. Also remember the E30 is now 2 years old (although I've only had mine for one year).

I wish you well with your purchase & if you put the money into the body, you'll just have to work on your wife to let you get that lens to get those wonderful photos you're aiming at. Someone said to take some great portrait photos of your wife (or other photo subjects of interest to her) to make her feel good about your passion in photography with the need to spend more in that area.

Falk
21st January 2011, 04:05 PM
Ross, I appreciate your comments and advise. I thought I was done with making up my mind, but your reasoning let me rethink it once again.
Unfortunately money is an issue and even though I got permition to go for an E-5, I can only spend the money once. I need a working body in the first place, but there is some glass on my wish-list too.
I really doubt if I can ever get me the 300F2.8 (or 90-250). So I guess, my trusty 70-300 will be further employed in most of my outdoor shooting - and here goes the wheater-proof thingy overboard, at least.

The search for the Eierlegende Wollmilchsau* is not an easy task :(

Cheers,
Falk

*direct translation: egg laying wool producing and lactating pig, i.e. something like a 'jack of all trades'