PDA

View Full Version : E-520 problem: shudders when it is switched off

amanda
17th January 2011, 04:44 PM
I've only had my E-520 for just over a year and it has started making a sort of shudder or loud whirring whenever I switch it off. The camera seems otherwise to be working fine, but this shudder is loud and doesn't sound right at all.

I don't know very much about cameras, but I've looked after it carefully and it's not been dropped or anything like that!

I'd like to get some expert opinions on what may be the problem and how much it might cost to fix before taking it to a camera shop. I bought it online whilst living in the US and it's now out of warranty unfortunately.

Thank you!
Amanda

Wee man
17th January 2011, 04:55 PM
Check IS is not switched on if it is you will get a shudder on switch off? Maybe to easy but worth a check.

amanda
17th January 2011, 05:01 PM
Dear Ed
Thank you! That seems to have fixed it! I'm so grateful. And I clearly need to get myself some lessons in how to use this camera properly!
Amanda

Kiwi Paul
17th January 2011, 05:44 PM
IS can be left on, it allows you to shoot at a slower shutter speed and minimize camera shake.

Paul

Zuiko
17th January 2011, 07:30 PM
When the camera is switched off with IS still activated it does make that noise. My E-510 does it and so does my E-3. I agree that when you first hear it it's quite alarming but don't worry, it is normal and doesn't do the camera any harm so IS can safely be left on if you want it. :)

Janet
17th January 2011, 08:07 PM
My e520 does that too...nothing to worry about!

Janet

Makonde
18th January 2011, 09:37 AM
The shudder (vibration) is to calibrate the IS - read the manual! If you want to use IS (and one usually does unless on tripod or photographing moving objects) then it won't work properly if it's not frequently reset/recalibrated this way.

Sabroc
18th January 2011, 10:25 AM
I remember the first time this happened to me, took me ages to figure it out!

wezzzor
21st March 2011, 07:27 PM
My heart was in my mouth when this first happened.

Ross the fiddler
22nd March 2011, 01:50 AM
My heart was in my mouth when this first happened.

You went all of a shudder, did you? ;) :D