PDA

View Full Version : gloves for sub zero

monoboard
16th January 2011, 01:14 PM
Hi folks

Any recomendations for thin gloves for taking pics when its cold, it was minus 17 the other day when i had two sessions of approx 2 & half hours with thin micro fleece gloves on and hand warmer packs teabag style in the gloves on the back of the hand. Rather chilly!.

reg

Monoboard

shenstone
16th January 2011, 03:54 PM
I know it sounds old fashioned, but I strongly recommend mittens for when it's really cold and just pull your hands out (with thin gloves ) as needed.

This combination allows your fingers to warm each other up inside the mitten and allows you to move your fingers.

It gives you somewhere to keep the heatpacks if nothing else, but I've not found it needed

I think mine are Tog24, with relatively thin insulation because I wear another layer inside, but there are loads of varieties with differing levels

Regards
Andy

Jim Ford
16th January 2011, 04:38 PM
If you're going to go with mitts, I can recommend 'Buffalo' ones. Like their clothing and sleeping bags, they're still warm when they're soaked through.

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN57504

Jim

David Morison
16th January 2011, 06:16 PM
I use neoprene (wet-suit material) shooting gloves which have the tip of each forefinger and thumb that fold back and if required velcro. They are very warm but thin enough to use on camera systems but enable you to free the forefinger and thumb for finer work. Available from most hunting/shooting/fishing shops.

monoboard
16th January 2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks folks for your replys, i need to take pics in the mountains in Italy in feb, i am going to have to work out what's best when i have racers coming into view usally every 30 secs and not much time to re focus etc.

many thanks

monoboard

Who's_E
16th January 2011, 11:28 PM
Use a plastic camera. My were freezing when I used the E3 a couple of years ago in sub-zero temperatures!

I have some North Face etip gloves which allow a fair amount of dexterity and keep my hands quite warm.

Nick

Ellie
17th January 2011, 10:05 PM
My hands are always cold, unless the temperatures are up in the twenties. It means I can make pastry but not bread!

I have to wear gloves and have found that fingerless ones are the best - they keep my hands and fingers warmer than sheepskin gloves or mittens, and I don't need to take them off to use the camera.

The ones I've got weren't expensive and came, I think, from a camping shop a couple of years ago. They're knitted, have some wool in the mix, and are lined.

Cathrine Stephansen
17th January 2011, 11:26 PM
You can get wool glove liners that allow you to handle the camera with them on. I use them inside larger mittens. Bought them on Svalbard and used them in -30 degrees. The old Canon EOS 350 couldn't handle it, though :D