PDA

View Full Version : 50-200 SWD question.

paullus
15th January 2011, 11:46 AM
I'm just getting to grips with my 50-200 SWD. I am really impressed with the results I'm getting. One small niggle I have is the with the tripod mount. I find it gets in the way. I don't lug a tripod or monopod everywhere with me so I'm usually shooting free hand. I've rotated the mount to get it out of the way of my fingers but have recently simply removed it altogether. Is it just me and my sausage fingers or is it commonplace to remove the mount?
Thanks.

David M
15th January 2011, 12:20 PM
On the very rare occasion I shoot the lens hand held I cup the tripod mounting foot in the palm of my hand.

I do have an AS quick release plates permanently mounted on everything so maybe that make a difference. I put the QR plate on the lens before I used it for the first time so I've never tried holding it without the plate being on.

Wee man
15th January 2011, 12:35 PM
I use a quick release plate and keep the tripod mount on but I rotate it to the left 90 degrees and find I can hold the tripod foot and get a steady grip.

Makonde
15th January 2011, 12:43 PM
I'm usually using the 50-200 hand-held and I remove the tripod mount. No point in having it on unless you have the camera on a tripod, after all.....

Who's_E
15th January 2011, 01:50 PM
The mount for mine sits in the bag that came with the lens in a cupboard. If I need support for the lens I generally use an E-System beanbag which is ideal for the purpose.

Nick

andym
15th January 2011, 08:49 PM
Yep,this is my walk around Wildlife lens usually with the EC14 so no tripod mount.

CaptainD
16th January 2011, 01:03 PM
I fall into the camp of using the tripod support as a nice hand support when shooting. It had never crossed my mind to remove it when shooting handheld.

Cheers

Chris *chr

Cathrine Stephansen
16th January 2011, 11:20 PM
I fall into the camp of using the tripod support as a nice hand support when shooting. It had never crossed my mind to remove it when shooting handheld.

Cheers

Chris *chr

Me too. I've just left it as it is. I cup it in my hand for support, or use a bean bag.

Greytop
17th January 2011, 01:05 AM

Cheers

Chris *chr

That's a number three, exactly what I do.

roger
17th January 2011, 01:34 PM
Hi,

I've tried both removing and leaving in place and now stick with leaving in place. I find it's handy to rest on fence posts or anything else to steady the camera when at maximum zoom and also when using the EC-20 (wildlife photography and I'm typically walking/hiking without tripod though I do occasionally used a tripod).

Roger

paullus
17th January 2011, 04:28 PM
"I find it's handy to rest on fence posts or anything else to steady the camera when at maximum zoom".

Thanks Roger that really is a good point.

monoboard
19th April 2011, 08:35 PM
It was the first thing i took off and have taken hundreds of ski racing pics hand held. But after saying that i am probley in good to medium light conditions but the subject is rather fast moving. I have just bought myself a monopod but i need to find the bracket know, I can't rember does it swivel on the bracket easly !

reg

monoboard