PDA

View Full Version : Large camera bag suggestions?

Dogcow
14th January 2011, 05:33 PM
I have a few bags around of various sizes in which I, depending on my trip, put a selection of my gear. But sometimes i want to take all my stuff with me, including all my panoramagear, but I don't want to have to put it in more than one bag.
So I am looking for a large size bag, for example something like a Hama 220 Defender.

Is there someone out there with experience with this bag? Or do you know of a good alternative?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Karel

Cathrine Stephansen
14th January 2011, 09:09 PM
Have you looked at the Computrekkers (LowePro)? Sometimes, if I don't need the computer, I use the flat PC-compartment for some clothing, a reflector etc.

catkins
14th January 2011, 10:29 PM
I have a Hama Defender 200 which is the slightly smaller version of the 220. I have been very pleased with it. I choose it as a good value over the shoulder bag, which in this case is slightly longer and less tall than some of the others that I looked at.
It is very well built looking as though it will durvice many 'adventures', has plenty of pockets, has good options for 'building' the spaces within the main compartment to whatever shape you want, solid waterproof base, and has a good carry strap. The main compartment has a really useful top double zip in addition to standard side entry.
I carry E-30 + 70-300mm, E-520 &/or wide zoom, flash, batteries, mars bars(!), drink, remote release, etc., etc.
I also use a backpack bag if I am walking longer distances, but find the Defender 200 very good for event type photography.
If you want any photos, I'll gladly upload or email direct.

Regards
Chris

Sharon
15th January 2011, 10:44 AM
My other half bought me a Lowepro Dryzone Rover. The damned thing is enormous, I can't carry it. LOL. Might be the sort of thing you're looking for. Amazon have plenty in stock I think :)

Dogcow
16th January 2011, 07:31 AM
Thanks everyone for your remarks and suggestions. *chr

@Cathrine and Sharon: I had no intention to buy another backpack (I already have a Slingshot 300), but thanks to your remarks I will look into the options you suggested.

@Chris: Good to hear that the Hama has a good build quality. That was my primary concern. I will have a closer look at the 220 and the 210.

yorky
16th January 2011, 04:55 PM
I loved my slingshot-till it started falling apart after 18 months use. Try Kata, they have an imense range and seem indistructable.

Dogcow
26th January 2011, 08:22 PM
I just received my Hama 220 Defender and it seems it is up to the task I bought it for.

Bought it at Amazone.co.uk as they are shipping it free to the Netherlands and at 90.- it is about 2/3 of the price I would pay over here in Euros.

So thanks all for your input and I will see how it will perfom in 'real life'.

*chr

Adagio
26th January 2011, 10:30 PM
Bought it at Amazone.co.uk as they are shipping it free to the Netherlands and at 90.- it is about 2/3 of the price I would pay over here in Euros.

And I thought this was supposed to be rip-off Britain !!

Ross the fiddler
27th January 2011, 09:17 AM
I can fit a fair bit into my Lowepro Flipside 400 AW with the E30 & grip, 14-54, 70-300, 35 macro, Sigma 150 macro, 50mm OM, FL50, 2 X FL36R, twin flash bracket, LED ring light with battery pack, batteries, cards etc, polarising filter (67mm), cleaning gear, small 5 way reflector, torch, flash stands (table top plates), drink bottle & lunch. I think that's about it except it can still hold & tripod & monopod on the outside, but no room for a laptop. The monopod doubles quite nicely as a walking pole & I need it getting around with that lot. The flipside is great for not having to put the bag down to change lenses etc.

Am I sounding like a salesman. Sorry, it was untended & I'm not. :D

stryker
27th January 2011, 12:56 PM
Try the Camera World website it has a Bag selector fearure that enables you to configure the number of cameras, lenses etc and find the bags that will suit your needs.