PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Another E-5 Question

Sabroc
14th January 2011, 11:35 AM
sorry but another E-5 question:

I've been running with my E-520 for a short while but have started taking my photography a bit more serious recently and think I will upgrade in the near future to a more of a pro camera body

I'd love to stay with Olympus because quite honestly my E-520 and lenses knock the socks of my Canon *equivalent*

I have been looking at the new E-5 but also the E-3 due to the price difference (i'd also be purchasing the 50-200 SWD lens)

But it is in the back of my mind about Olympus possibly not supporting DSLR's going forward i.e. i don't want to build up a collection of nice lenses and be in a position where I cannot find a upgrade camera to use them on. This points me shamefully to look at the Canon EOS 7D or 5D Mark II

what are the main differences between the 4 camera's? again I really really do not want to move away from Olympus but at the same time I need to look at it was a investment point of view.....

:confused:

Ross the fiddler
14th January 2011, 12:12 PM
It's only the C.....n marketeers, biased followers & doomsday sayers that will tell you that there won't be a body to use your lenses on. Olympus has assured us although the push is on for mirrorless cameras, they will have a body that will take the 4/3s lenses & they won't be replacing the traditional DSLR with a mirrorless one until the technology is equal to or better than the DSLR with OVF.

If you have the money, then go & enjoy the E5 because it will be a very big improvement on your E520 & if you got the E3, you will probably be wishing you had got the E5 with all the inclusions & much better display & great fine detail output instead.

Radar
14th January 2011, 12:16 PM
There will most likely be a camera in the future to support your 4/3 lenses but it might not be in the dSLR-shape as we know it today. But still..the future for the 4/3-system is uncertain. I'm having the same thoughts as you. I am looking to invest money in big glass this summer to cover sport but with the uncertainty about the future support of the 4/3 I am now considering jumping the wagon to the "dark side"

But I will not be going Full Frame both for the cost of investment of body and glass. A high-Megapixel camera and Full Frames will require more from your lenses to give good pictures. So I've chosen the D7000 or the camera replacing the D300s to get a crop camera AND keep investments down. The Canon alternative was a 7D but I didn't feel comfortable with it. After testing both the Nikon D3 and the Nikon D7000 in my main usage area I found I get better noise control on high ISO (indoor sports, winter sports, evening sports etc.) with the D7000.

yorky
14th January 2011, 01:58 PM
The E5 is a great new camera and built like a tank.I very seriously doubt if any its competitors would be would be in the same league.

LightingMan
14th January 2011, 04:35 PM
It's only the C.....n marketeers, biased followers & doomsday sayers that will tell you that there won't be a body to use your lenses on. Olympus has assured us although the push is on for mirrorless cameras, they will have a body that will take the 4/3s lenses & they won't be replacing the traditional DSLR with a mirrorless one until the technology is equal to or better than the DSLR with OVF.

Well put, mirrorless is where they are going. Buy the E-5 now or wait till the waiting lists drops off and the price drops, or you get cashback, or a free FL-50R (based on previous bodies). Me? I couldn't wait having skipped the buying E3.

Sabroc
15th January 2011, 06:20 PM
thanks for the replies everyone

Seems like the belief is that Olympus will have something to support it going forward...it's just a shame olympus can't just come out and say it....they must have lost so many dedicated E-System users because of it?

Think i'll go for the E-5, how long typically is it before you see a price drop? I have found the body only for around 1379 at the moment

photo_owl
15th January 2011, 07:14 PM
thanks for the replies everyone

Seems like the belief is that Olympus will have something to support it going forward...it's just a shame olympus can't just come out and say it....they must have lost so many dedicated E-System users because of it?

Think i'll go for the E-5, how long typically is it before you see a price drop? I have found the body only for around 1379 at the moment

I am totally confused (or be-mused) by this.

Just to help me understand, can you please point me in the direction of a statement by Canon in the vein of the 'missing' one from Olympus?

As to the price drops question, the answer is very simple - when demand drops to a point that drives a repricing.

This typically comes from market pressure driven by competitor activity or new model activity from your own 'stable'.

Sabroc
17th January 2011, 10:47 AM
I am totally confused (or be-mused) by this.

Just to help me understand, can you please point me in the direction of a statement by Canon in the vein of the 'missing' one from Olympus?

As to the price drops question, the answer is very simple - when demand drops to a point that drives a repricing.

This typically comes from market pressure driven by competitor activity or new model activity from your own 'stable'.

?

why would you be bemused by my view?

the situation with Canon is different is it not? i.e. there is not concern that they will not be producing DSLR's in the future...Canon customers are not 'jumping ship' because of this.....Olympus customers are and this is clearly evidenced...AP magazine the other week..."the last of the four thirds DLSR's"

like it or not, this is stopping people from buying Olympus....so I stand by my comment that if they are going to support the DSLR going forward or continue to produce them they should come out and say it....for their own benefit and for peace of mind of the E system users.....if they did for example I'd only be looking at the E3/E5....and I know i'm not the only one in that position.

LightingMan
17th January 2011, 11:09 AM
You could look at it this way...

"The last Olympus SLR based four thirds cameras"

What benefit is the mirror if technology moves forward and it becomes unnecessary. We buy cars with electronic timing rather than a coil and a set of points and we all know that fuel injection is more efficient than a carburettor.

That said I knew how to adjust the points and my latest car doesn't even have a dipstick - aside from the one behind the wheel :o

Sabroc
17th January 2011, 11:17 AM
You could look at it this way...

That said I knew how to adjust the points and my latest car doesn't even have a dipstick - aside from the one behind the wheel :o

*crazy *crazy *crazy

Makonde
17th January 2011, 12:25 PM
Whatever the manufacturer, there is a strong possibility that within a very few years their DSLRs will beome outdated and superseded by lighter, faster, cheaper, smaller cameras with smaller (and hopefully) cheaper lenses, sensors that equal or better the performance of current DSLR sensors, and greater digital capabilities.

If you went off and bought Nikon or Canon systems you could quite easily find your lenses became legacy lenses at that point.

We are seeing amazingly fast growth in a number of new technologies by several manufacturers. Olympus is among their number; Canon and Nikon do not seem to be. Whatever system you have now, the field will look entirely different in four or five years' time.

Olympus have reassured FT users that meanwhile there will continue to be a body for them. Your Zuiko glass will work on MFT too (if not as fast focusing). It remains a reasonable choice for a moderate 'investment' particularly if you already have Zuiko glass.

Otherwise if you were going for a new system, it seems to me that the Panasonic MFTs or the Sony NEX might be a more rational choice for the future than the large dinosaurs that currently rule the camera plains.

Me: I have some good Oly lenses and am happy with the E-5 for the next few years. I won't be buying any more FT glass though (unless offloaded at very cheap prices by those getting out of the system). I'm not buying a PEN but waiting to see which of the various rival small-form-factor systems matures first to a point where it's better than the E-5 in every respect.

Makonde
17th January 2011, 12:28 PM
..... meanwhile further food for thought here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1294942091.html

and here: http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2011/01/olympus-epl2-first-installment.html

Makonde
17th January 2011, 10:20 PM
....and http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=37471533

drmarkf
3rd February 2011, 11:51 PM
Since the E-5 is lifed for 150,000 exposures, it seems to me most of us needn't worry too much - by the time it dies everyone else is going to be on 55 megapixel, f0.0001 cameraphones with 60 bit colour depth :)

Last month I had a serious play with a D7000 and half a dozen Nikon lenses: my clear conclusion was to stick with the superb handling and image quality of Olympus, and invest in an E-5. Yes, Oly lenses might depreciate a bit if the company pulls out of full 4/3 development, but actually several of mine I've bought 2nd hand have increased in price significantly over the past few years.

I recommend a careful test of the CaNikon alternatives before anyone moves...

FX kit is just too big & heavy at the moment, and very few Nikon DX-usable lenses impressed me (but one example that did is the 70-200 VRII, which is fantastic, BTW).