PDA

View Full Version : Shutter click and sync speed

snaarman
11th January 2011, 12:23 PM
Here's an observation: I've been pursuing my goal of getting the best out of the 70-300 recently, and that involved using off camera flash.

I discovered by trial and error that my E620 and E600 will both flash the entire frame at 1/320. Its only when you go to 1/400th that you start to get a black band.

I thought the quoted sync speed was 1/160th - but the truth seems to be one whole stop faster. Good news?

While testing the two cameras I also noticed that the E620 sounds a little bit snappier than the E600, as if the mirror/shutter sequence is faster. I suspect that the continuous shooting speed is slightly faster as well.

Any thoughts and comments. I had taken these to be essentially the same camera but with bits and pices left off the E600.... (I wouldn't be surprised to find you could hack a 600 to be a 620 if you knew how :))

Pete

SteveJ
11th January 2011, 07:41 PM
Thats good to know. I've been experimenting with off camera flash and took the speed to 1/250 with no problems. I will try to go faster. Thanks for the tip we live and learn.

Regards

Steve

Radar
12th January 2011, 09:29 AM
I usually sync 1/250 off camera and it's fine. 1/320 always give me a band in the bottom. The TTL-flashes (FL-36/50) syncs at max 1/160 on camera for some reason, but get it off camera and you'll be able to use 1/250.

When it comes to the "snappy" shutter it depends on the IS. When the IS is on I feel the shutter is dragging it self through the exposure while it's snappier when the IS is off. The main reason why I don't use IS on burst-shooting.

Zuiko
12th January 2011, 09:44 AM
I suppose the manufacturer quotes a slightly lower than actual sync speed to allow a margin of error. It's quite possible that tolerances vary from one camera to another. Better to gat a pleasant surprise and find your camera syncs faster than expected, rather than be disappointed it fails to achieve the quoted capability.