PDA

View Full Version : Focus On Imaging 2011 - Are Olympus REALLY Not There?

stoates
10th January 2011, 08:25 PM
I stumbled across a link for the Focus On Imaging Show being held at the NEC 06-09 March.

I thought that this would be a good opportunity to have a look at and handle an E-5 which I would love to upgrade to but have some minor reservations about size, as well as sample some of the other plethora of photographic stands there. I was surprised and very disappointed to find that Olympus do not appear on the Exhibitors List despite most of the other major DSLR manufacturers being present. :confused:

( http://www.focus-on-imaging.co.uk/exhibitors.htm)

The show's website quotes 'Leading manufacturers and suppliers will be showing off their current range plus new product releases; live demonstrations; knowledgeable staff to quiz and brochures to take away.' This surely has to be a missed marketing opportunity for Olympus if they are really not attending. I have emailed Olympus to see if there has been a mistake though it seems unlikely.

shenstone
10th January 2011, 08:43 PM
Almost certainly it is true

Olympus marketing seem completely dedicated to a policy of total secrecy regarding the fact that they have any products to sell:rolleyes:

Regards
Andy

photo_owl
10th January 2011, 09:32 PM
I seem to remember Ian saying it would be unlikely after last year - so I don't belive it's a snap decision.

benvendetta
10th January 2011, 09:40 PM
They were there two years ago and the day I attended was when the E-620 was unveiled to the UKPSG members. Not there last year and not this year either.
Worth going for the bargains and of course you will be able to handle and buy an E-5 at one of the retailers there (maybe at a good price too). I got a 7-14 at an excellent price last year.
I will be there hoping to get something at a very good price (35-150 or 150 SHG??????) :eek:

Zuiko
10th January 2011, 10:08 PM
I will be there hoping to get something at a very good price (35-150 or 150 SHG??????) :eek:

So they are releasing a new DZ then, Dave? :D

benvendetta
10th January 2011, 10:18 PM
So they are releasing a new DZ then, Dave? :D

Ha ha, my mistake - 35-100 :o

Zuiko
10th January 2011, 10:22 PM
Ha ha, my mistake - 35-100 :o

Never mind, if you manage to get one of those cheap you'll have the last laugh!

*chr

stoates
10th January 2011, 10:29 PM
Worth going for the bargains and of course you will be able to handle and buy an E-5 at one of the retailers there (maybe at a good price too). :

Dave, thanks for this. I was so amazed that Olypus were not represented that I hadn't considered other retailers being there with an E-5. May be worth the 900 mile round trip after all!

The Saint
11th January 2011, 08:24 AM
Just to make Dave sick, I picked up a 35-100 from Warehouseexpress just before Xmas for 1,250. Was their ex-demo model but the sales guy said he'd never seen it come out of the display cabinet and was in perfect condition.

Of course I only went into the shop for a 10 widget, but hey it was a bargin I couldn't resist!

On the Focus in Imaging front, I picked up a good deal on a E-PL1 from the Cameraworld stand, which was doing some good deals on other Olympus kit last year.

I'll probably go again this year, even just to have a wonder around for a few hours to see what's new from everyone else.

Simon

Ian
11th January 2011, 09:11 AM
All I will say is that if Olympus found being at the show worthwhile and good value, they would be there. Olympus are not unique among camera manufacturers in not attending this show.

The show itself is good to visit if you are looking for accessories.

Ian

cinders
11th January 2011, 10:23 AM
I've always fancied going. Is it best to go on the Sunday for the real bargains, or will it be dreadfully busy - and better going on Monday or Tuesday...????

Ian
11th January 2011, 10:29 AM
I've always fancied going. Is it best to go on the Sunday for the real bargains, or will it be dreadfully busy - and better going on Monday or Tuesday...????

I almost always go on the Sunday in order to get a show report done early. It can be busy on the Sunday, but it does get quieter in the afternoon.

Apparently, it is less hectic on the other days.

Ian

The Saint
11th January 2011, 11:05 AM
During the week it is definately quieter.

It will depend if your looking for anything specific whether you need to go on the first day to get want you want before it sells out.

Simon

David M
11th January 2011, 11:43 AM
All I will say is that if Olympus found being at the show worthwhile and good value, they would be there. Olympus are not unique among camera manufacturers in not attending this show.

The show itself is good to visit if you are looking for accessories.

Ian

So I take it Focus is now a show for amateurs? I haven't been since the mid 90's when you had to be a pro to get in.

benvendetta
11th January 2011, 01:35 PM
During the week it is definately quieter.

It will depend if your looking for anything specific whether you need to go on the first day to get want you want before it sells out.

Simon

If you have been before, or represent a group or club you can get free entry.
I will probably be going on either the Monday or the Tuesday. If there are others on a particular day, then maybe a meet-up would be in order.
It is a great day out but I am usually k***kered come the end! I seem to spend most of the time trying to remember where I had seen something or just wandering around looking for it. :eek:

kelvinator
11th January 2011, 02:03 PM
Hi Dave,

I'm hoping to go up on a weekday, though not sure which yet? If it ends up being the same day, it would be good to meet up.

cheers

Kelvin

cinders
11th January 2011, 05:55 PM
I'll be up for that too!
It would probably be Monday or Tuesday for me too.

Bobpatchcott
11th January 2011, 08:14 PM
Hi Cinders
I've been to this show for many years only once on a sunday,
never again! the place is full of numnuts whose soul purpose in life seems to be to make my life a misery, this year I shall go during the week as usual.
I think it is well worth a visit last year I picked up an 8mm zuiko for a very good price also it is a very good place to check out all the printing papers available and there are some bargains to be had .

regards Bob.

P.S. no offence to anyone here who visits on a Sunday you may not have a choice [work etc] but I'm sure you will know what I mean.:rolleyes:

Cathrine Stephansen
12th January 2011, 01:49 PM
Arghhh!! And I've already booked my ticket and stay for Crufts which begins the day after! Have to see whether I can change this to include Focus on Imaging!!

Next weekend the big Norwegian photoshow is being held, Olympus isn't there either. I expect they let their retailers run the show thing.