PDA

View Full Version : The 2010 End of Year “Open Challenge” - VOTING OPEN

shenstone
9th January 2011, 09:13 AM
The 2010 End of Year “Open Challenge”

The Idea: A great opportunity to share our best photos of the year, and because the theme and time span are so wide, the quality should be very high!

In brief: Entrants chose their best three images of any theme or style taken on an E-series camera between 1st January 2010 and 31st December 2010 and sent it in!

Prize: None, other than the right to use “Winner of the E-System User Group 2010 Open Challenge” in your forum signature, and maybe a 'special Avatar'.

How to vote:
1. All registered members of the e-group forum may vote, including those who submit entries. Those who submit entries may vote for their own photo but are expected to allot their choices fairly on perceived merit.
2. Voters should list their three choices in order of preference, by code number shown in Gallery text and title to avoid confusion.
3. Points will be allocated as follows: three to first choice, two to second choice, one to third choice.
4. Please send your votes to me Shenstone using the Private Message system.
5. This competition is just for fun and by entering or voting you accept to abide by the spirit of this competition and acknowledge that the decision of the judge (me ) is final.
6. Votes will be accepted from now up to midnight UK GMT on the 28th January 2011 (it’s the Friday… it gives me the weekend to count things rather than ending on Jan 31st which is a Monday). Results will be announced soon after.

The images can be found in the "e-group end of year 2010 Challenge" Gallery which is at the following link

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=1090

shenstone
9th January 2011, 09:21 AM
I have to say that it's been fun seeing the pictures come in and seeing the range of topics that we all love.

I'm sure you will agree there are some very fine pictures in the challenge this year and will support the entrants by voting

So far one vote in ( mine - I thought I should do it before I got influenced by any incoming votes. ) I can therefore say that there is a clear leader by one vote at present, but I expect this to change :rolleyes:

Regards
Andy

Janet
9th January 2011, 09:40 AM
My votes are in. A very difficult choice with some superb entries.

Janet

shenstone
9th January 2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks for I was so glad to see a vote come flooding in .. may it be the 1st of many *chr

Regards
Andy

wanderer
9th January 2011, 12:26 PM
:eek: What a choice! I've just had a first look through. There are some damn fine photographs out there (and obviously some damn fine photographers). And I thought I had a chance, Damn!!

This is going to take a week or so.

If this is the response level, perhaps next year whoever is organising should reduce submissions to 2 each or it'll take all year to decide.

Thanks for organising Andy.

Janet
9th January 2011, 12:44 PM
I agree, there are some damn fine photographs in that selection...it was incredibly hard to make a choice, and I'm still not sure that I made the right one!

I entered for the first time, but I don't hold out a lot of hope against that sort of competition!

One comment though, if I may? I've seen similar competitions on TP, where the images are all posted in a forum thread...I appreciate that would make more work for the organiser, but it is so much simpler than having to look through the Gallery and click on each one to enlarge. I'm sure I probably missed some as I looked and I'm equally sure that there are some who just won't have either the time or the inclination to click on a link and then have to click on each one individually...luckily I have a nice lazy day today, so I could take the time, but that isn't always the case...

The voting on TP is done via a poll, but you only get to see the results of the voting once you've added your vote. It's rather fun to watch the positions change throughout the voting process!

I'm sure making it that little bit simpler would encourage more to add their entries and their votes. As it was, I was very strapped for time, so only just made the deadline for submissions. it would have taken me seconds to upload a photo to a thread from my Flickr site, but instead I had to save and resize the photo's, then attach in an email...

Just a thought...

Janet

shenstone
9th January 2011, 06:30 PM
I agree, there are some damn fine photographs in that selection...it was incredibly hard to make a choice, and I'm still not sure that I made the right one!

I entered for the first time, but I don't hold out a lot of hope against that sort of competition!

One comment though, if I may? I've seen similar competitions on TP, where the images are all posted in a forum thread...I appreciate that would make more work for the organiser, but it is so much simpler than having to look through the Gallery and click on each one to enlarge. I'm sure I probably missed some as I looked and I'm equally sure that there are some who just won't have either the time or the inclination to click on a link and then have to click on each one individually...luckily I have a nice lazy day today, so I could take the time, but that isn't always the case...

The voting on TP is done via a poll, but you only get to see the results of the voting once you've added your vote. It's rather fun to watch the positions change throughout the voting process!

I'm sure making it that little bit simpler would encourage more to add their entries and their votes. As it was, I was very strapped for time, so only just made the deadline for submissions. it would have taken me seconds to upload a photo to a thread from my Flickr site, but instead I had to save and resize the photo's, then attach in an email...

Just a thought...

Janet

Hi Janet.

I'm not keen on public voting it takes the independance out of it as people start to react to what is already know about the voting and it becomes very artificial

We have done competitions here where people uploaded, but once again there were comments that the 1st posters had an unfair position because theirs were first in the gallery which I have sorted out by randomising the puctures.

Re threads. I don't mind doing it, but once the gallery has a function to reorganize the sequence, show thumbnails and for you to add a selection to your favorites to be able to look at them again - try setting the gallery page to 90 pictures per page and puzzle view and then open a few in another tab (assuming you use a tabbed browser) it's very easy

As organizer I would have been very happy to pick up pictures from anywhere whether they be if someone had sent me an email I could pick them up and maybe I'll offer that next time the security in FlickR is so easy to break you can download even protected images as I did to take a look at the exif of your's

All I can say is there are many ways to do anything... each have their foibles

Regards
Andy

gregles
9th January 2011, 06:42 PM
I would just like to thank Andy for taking the time to put this together. I have been thru the entries a couple of times now and a short list is forming slowly*chr

Greg

cinders
9th January 2011, 07:22 PM
hat was difficult. There are some very good images there.
I've voted - but it's all very subjective!!

Thanks for organising this Andy.

Ellie
9th January 2011, 10:34 PM
Heck, that lot is going to take some sifting to choose just three! :eek:

Superb quality, and an incredible range of subjects too. Put together they'd make a good coffee table book - maybe Olympus could take a hint!

... it would have taken me seconds to upload a photo to a thread from my Flickr site, but instead I had to save and resize the photo's, then attach in an email...
Maybe having to do that put some people off, but it's the way competitions are organised on this site and, to be honest, I like that sort of anonymity. I doubt I'd have bothered to upload my contribution to a thread that had already been opened by somebody else because I'd be too disheartened by the quality of other pictures already on show.

The way it's been done means that nobody knows it's my picture they're looking at and wondering why it's there!
... the gallery has a function to reorganize the sequence, show thumbnails and for you to add a selection to your favourites to be able to look at them again - try setting the gallery page to 90 pictures per page and puzzle view and then open a few in another tab (assuming you use a tabbed browser) it's very easy
I didn't know that, and hadn't seen the buttons at the bottom of the page. Thanks for the hints, it'll make it a bit easier to work a shortlist of favourites, although at the moment my list still includes 91 images!

Out of interest, can we vote for our own pictures? :rolleyes:

Janet
9th January 2011, 11:22 PM
try setting the gallery page to 90 pictures per page and puzzle view and then open a few in another tab (assuming you use a tabbed browser) it's very easy

I didn't know that either...would have made it so much simpler if I had! It did take rather a long time clicking on each one to enlarge rather than just being able to scroll through and view them all at a decent size. I'm not lazy, just very strapped for time at the moment!

We have done competitions here where people uploaded, but once again there were comments that the 1st posters had an unfair position because theirs were first in the gallery

I've entered and voted on a few on other sites that operate in this way, and I can honestly say that I go through the whole lot before I make a decision....I then go back and look again whilst I change my mind numerous times before I decide on my vote....

I guess I'll just have to be a bit more organised in future and allow myself more time to sort out files and make the effort to contribute!

Ellie, I believe you can vote for your own entries...I was seriously tempted to do so after looking at the quality and variety of some of the others, just to make sure that I didn't come at the bottom!

Janet

shenstone
10th January 2011, 01:21 PM
Votes coming in nicely now

I can say that there is an image in the lead with 6 more in second place one vote behind ..

It's early days so please keep looking

Regards
Andy

shenstone
12th January 2011, 12:14 PM
Just a quick note to say that there was one image puloaded in duplicate in error. This was entriely me and I've now been through all the emails again and am confident (well fairly) that it's right now

Thanks to the 2 people who pointed this out

Votes are coming in nicely, but I would encourage you all to take a look and send them in if you haven't already - I know there will be a last minute rush, but anything you can do to reduce my stress levels will be greatly appreciated

There are quite a spread of opinions - I'm still not giving any clues however

Regards
Andy

shenstone
17th January 2011, 07:50 AM
Shamless bump as things have slowed down into my inbox ...
remember voting ends soon - don't leave it until the last minute

BTW it' ends

28th January 2011

and not

28th January 2010

As stated in the orignal post... copy and Paste is the worst feature of a computer sometimes

Regards
Andy

theMusicMan
17th January 2011, 07:58 AM
Shamless bump as things have slowed down into my inbox ...
remember voting ends soon - don't leave it until the last minute

BTW it' ends

28th January 2011

and not

28th January 2010

As stated in the orignal post... copy and Paste is the worst feature of a computer sometimes

Regards
Andy
Sorted that for you Andy... :) I'll be sending my votes in soon.

shenstone
24th January 2011, 08:43 PM
VOTES are trickling in

but we need a last minute flood please *yes

Come on --if you haven't put pen to paper in a keyboard style we need your input

The people who entered appreciate your support

Regards
Andy

DavidJ1609
26th January 2011, 08:28 AM
[SIZE=6]
Come on --if you haven't put pen to paper in a keyboard style we need your input

The people who entered appreciate your support

Regards
Andy

I am so sorry, but I cannot access the internet at reasonable speed here in China. I think that because I'm a foreigner my web traffic is seperately monitored. Chinese pages are instant, but foreign pages can take 30 seconds and/or many refreshes to load. :eek: It's so frustrating! :mad:

To be fair to all, I won't vote until and unless I can see all of the pictures.

If I could download them from a site, as one (zip) file, that may work: downloads and uploads, once established, are usually ok.

David.

shenstone
26th January 2011, 08:25 PM
If I could download them from a site, as one (zip) file, that may work: downloads and uploads, once established, are usually ok.

David.

Try this http://www.shenstone.me.uk/galleries/2010.zip

It's 28.3 Mb

I will leave it there until the weekend when the competition closes

BTW - given internet speeds in this part of cardiff it just took 15 minutes to upload !

Regards
Andy

DavidJ1609
27th January 2011, 03:13 AM

It's 28.3 Mb

BTW - given internet speeds in this part of cardiff it just took 15 minutes to upload !

Regards
Andy

Thanks Andy. Got them, and on it now!

David.

DavidJ1609
27th January 2011, 03:14 AM

It's 28.3 Mb

Regards
Andy

Thanks Andy. Got them, and on it now!*chr
David.

[EDIT - Done, with thanks.]

shenstone
27th January 2011, 09:54 PM
Well a deadeline works with you lot .. more votes today than any day so far

keep them coming - LAST DAY TOMORROW

Regards
Andy

shenstone