PDA

View Full Version : Getting to grips with straps!

E-P1 fan
13th March 2008, 11:28 AM
As one of those lucky people with

(a) an E-1 and

(b) a much-appreciated free HLD-2 grip coming in the near future, :)

I've been turning my mind to how the new grip will impact on not just the camera and picture-taking, but my camera rucksack and the business of camera straps.

I normally just use a wrist strap with my E-1 but I expect this to change once the grip mates with the E-1 body.

I know there's plenty of wide cloth type straps available - original and grey market - but I don't like walking around with the make of the camera emblazoned on my shoulder.

Does anyone know of a source of proper leather camera straps - nice and strong and plain - good quality fixings etc -something that will easily hold an E-1 and grip and medium-sized lens?

I haven't found anything myself and would appreciate some links if anyone has some.

In the absence of a leather strap - I wonder if Billingham make one?

Paulpp
13th March 2008, 11:38 AM
May not be what you are looking for but I have been a fan of neoprane straps as they are a bit stretchy and seem more comfortable for that reason.
Jacobs have a large selection of all sorts of straps.
http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/index.php?thequery=straps

E-P1 fan
13th March 2008, 12:07 PM
Nice - thanks Paul. 100 for a strap though!!! :eek:

Paulpp
13th March 2008, 12:18 PM
Yeah, but the onesI like are about 20

Jim
13th March 2008, 12:41 PM
There is a US company call Op/Tech that make straps, found this website but I know there are others stocking their straps.

http://www.optech-online.co.uk/list.htm

E-P1 fan
13th March 2008, 12:47 PM
Thought you were related to Ecclestone for a minute there Paul :)

Thanks Jim - I like the look of their pro camera straps... could be just what I'm looking for.. right price too

Jim
13th March 2008, 12:55 PM
Yeah, very reasonable prices for most of their stuff :)

ndl0071
13th March 2008, 01:34 PM
Hi E1 Fan

Been having the same thoughts, I've plumped for a Lowepro Voyager 'C' strap which I am afraid is neoprene not leather what I like about it is it features a clever quick release system which I love as I hate the strap on when using a tripod, Lowepro make 2 versions the 'C' and the 'S' depending on how you prefer to carry your kit. I picked up my 'C' series from Park Cameras for 17.

http://www.parkcameras.com/ProductDetails/mcs/referrer/Froogle/productID/4982/groupID/5/categoryID/25

Hope this helps.

DTD
13th March 2008, 01:40 PM
Billingham did make straps, I've got one on my OM1. Not seen any for a while though.

I use an Optech neoprene one for my E-1 and it does make a noticeable difference, the camera does seem lighter. I got it from Jacobs for about £20.

DerekW
13th March 2008, 01:51 PM
Another vote for Op/tech - take time to understand the different connection techniques of the strap to the camera. There is the fold round and under method as described by Oly and there is the loop fastening technique which having got both types I think I prefer.

E-P1 fan
13th March 2008, 02:37 PM
Many thanks Paul, Jim, ndl, DTD, and Derek.

This is really helpful stuff chaps. Seems like neoprene is the 21stC leather. :)

The Park Cameras (good firm) strap looks very like the Optech straps - slightly cheaper... might come down to postage I suppose. Does this come with 2 different fixings ndl - like the Optech?

Whatever I think this does seem the way to go. I like the idea that you can quick release the camera from the strap ends on both.

Scapula Memory
13th March 2008, 03:29 PM
I found that once the grip was on my E1 it was uncomfortable around my neck. Also the problem was the EP2 eye cup falling off. So have you thought about a GS2 hand strap? I only use this now and then plonk the camera into a shoulder bag that does not look like it contains a camera.

Hiding_Pup
13th March 2008, 05:01 PM
Another vote for Optech! The "pro" straps come in two flavours, "pro" and "pro loop". My preference is for the latter because it's that much easier to get your fingers round:

http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=23&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=4

Also consider offerings from Domke which have an air of Billingham about them.

beardedwombat
13th March 2008, 05:45 PM
I've used an Optech "Super Classic" strap for a couple of years. Plain black, very comfortable and has a very grippy back so won't slip off if you wear it over your shoulder - highly recommended.
Cheers
chris

HughofBardfield
13th March 2008, 06:02 PM
Cheapskate that I am, I've been using the same two OpTech straps for the last 15-plus years. The modern ones are even better, with a more grippy back. I had to change the end connectors to accommodate DSLRs rather than OMs, but the new camera QR ends connected together give you a useful short strap you can put your hand thru, but which doesn't get in the way as much as a neck strap. I believe I read OpTech do a wrist strap which fits on the same connector.

I am also a fan of grip straps, and currently use one on my E1. I was keen on getting a GS-2 to go with the HLD2 until I discovered they are £25!!! Perhaps I will still treat myself as the HLD2 will be courtesy of Ian and Oly!

E-P1 fan
13th March 2008, 06:55 PM
All good stuff. I like grip straps too - having used one with my E-1 to date. I assumed that with the HLD-2 a wrist grip wouldn't really work.

I like the idea of slinging the E-1 and grip over my right shoulder rather than round my neck - cos it chafes :)

Melaka
13th March 2008, 07:51 PM
I used a grip strap on my E1 and now have one for the E3. Heavy cameras hanging round the neck can be like a millstone but surprisingly they seem to weigh nothing in the hand. The design of the grip strap is such that it is friction rather than muscle that takes the weight - I wouldn't be without one and can carry the E3/HLD4 combination for hours without a problem. There is the added advantage that it doesn't look so obvious.

E-P1 fan
13th March 2008, 09:06 PM
Hmmn maybe I'd get away with a wrist strap then? Mind you, I might like both! (wrist strap and shoulder strap)

Invicta
13th March 2008, 10:09 PM
Hmmn maybe I'd get away with a wrist strap then? Mind you, I might like both! (wrist strap and shoulder strap)

The Oly GS-3 grip strap for the E-3/HLD-4 allows a neck strap to be attached as well. (not sure about the E-1 equivalent)

For the neck strap I have been looking at UPstrap's range e.g.:

http://upstrap-pro.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=QR

E-P1 fan
13th March 2008, 11:01 PM
Plunge taken and gone for one of these..

http://www.hama.co.uk/portal/articleId*152773/picType*abb/action*2599?picURL=%2Fbilder%2F00027%2Fabb%2F00027 505abb.jpg

I'll see about a wrist grip strap once the HLD-2 is here :)

ndl0071
14th March 2008, 08:01 AM
Hi E-1

From memory I believe that the Lowepro Voyager does come with the 2 fixings, indeed it does look to be a very similar product to the Optech, I looked on line at the Optech before buying but was unsure as I did not recognise the brand name, I think all photographers have heard of lowepro though. (Does this make me a brand snob?) Anyway a short stroll up to Park Cameras soon made my mind up, thankfully on this occasion I did not need to consider postage cost.
I found the original link that I looked at from the lowepro site, have fun, lots of pics/info etc.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Voyager%20C,2075.htm

All the best with whatever you decide.

Cheers
Neil