PDA

View Full Version : What are we all using now

shenstone
5th January 2011, 10:10 PM
Given so much diversification I thought it may be useful to see what we are all using as our MAIN CAMERAs these days

I'm limited to 10 options so have combined some ranges into an option rather than every specific model

Pick your current main workhorse

I'm thinking we can put up another poll in a month or so to see what we all own and compare the 2 profiles

Regards
Andy

benvendetta
5th January 2011, 10:12 PM
E-3 for me.

shenstone
5th January 2011, 10:14 PM
blimey that was a fast response .. you spend too much time looking at your PC :D

Regards
Andy

shenstone
5th January 2011, 10:15 PM
I think you beat the poll going in place :cool:

benvendetta
5th January 2011, 10:42 PM
Didn't see the 'proper' poll but I will use it now :o

Garrie
5th January 2011, 10:59 PM
Superb idea for a thread.

I'm currently using my E3 and I can't see that changing for a while :)

JohnGG
6th January 2011, 01:09 AM
I mostly use the E-3 so that got my vote but I still love the E-1 and use it from time to time. Some of the E-5 shots that are now being posted look very impressive so I'm getting rather tempted :o

Cheers,

JohnGG

OlyPaul
6th January 2011, 08:47 AM
Put down the E-30 but I use the E-620 nearly as much.:)

Zuiko
6th January 2011, 09:50 AM
Difficult one. I take my E-PL1 out the most, but often return home without using it. It's an ideal carry anywhere camera and is an important part of my kit. However, if I'm going out specifically to take photographs I take the E-3 and still prefer it for "serious" photography (whatever that might be, I thought it was meant to be fun! :D)

So I've voted E-3

However, if you was to ask which camera I would prefer to use, given an unlimited choice, the answer would be a Nikon D (only joking! :p) an Olympus E-5. *lovesick

Xpres
6th January 2011, 10:51 AM
If by main camera you mean the one I pick up most often, then it would be my 5D2 - so "other". I have different ones for different tasks. Of my 4/3 bodies the EP1 gets the most use as an everyday snap camera, so I guess that's my 'main' Olympus.

Who's_E
6th January 2011, 11:11 AM
50/50 but I would pick the E3 over the Pen if they were the same size. So, E3.

Nick

StephenL
6th January 2011, 11:35 AM
A difficult one. It's horses for courses. I've put down my Pen, but I really use my G2 and E1 almost as much in turns.

ndl0071
6th January 2011, 12:41 PM
Unsurprisingly I've gone for other! In fact I've not got out with any DSLR for weeks now with the weather and time (lack of) just getting in the way.

The only pics I've taken recently have been 'on the hoof' using my pocket camera Leica D Lux5, (amazing output btw) hence voting 'Other'

*chr

snaarman
6th January 2011, 01:20 PM
I'm impressed how many of you guys can afford (and lift) the big boys gear, the E3/E5...

Hmm. Visions of a "Replacement Cost of Gear" poll.

No, let's not go there.

Pete

Makonde
6th January 2011, 01:21 PM
E-5 over the E-520, but I haven't yet decided whether to sell my much-loved E520 with one or two kit lenses or keep it as second body/backup. I could be nudged with a good offer, but still sitting on the fence.

PeterD
6th January 2011, 02:30 PM
The E5 without doubt although the E3 has proven reliable and good for macro work for which it will be used in the spring.
The E500 is still in use by my daughter and son. In short, all the Olympus cameras I own are useful.

Barr1e
6th January 2011, 02:55 PM
E-5

It's like a Mars bar - I can't put it down.

Regards. Barr1e

Greytop
6th January 2011, 03:47 PM
I voted E-5 too although I have used my E-30 on the odd occasion recently.
Now that new E-PL2 looks very nice too :rolleyes:

NSS
6th January 2011, 03:56 PM
E-450

One of only a handfull in the known universe..:D

Does what I want it to, although I would like either a Bigma or 70-300!!

Alan Clogwyn
6th January 2011, 04:42 PM
I take my GH1 out along with my OM30, in fact today on a walk around Dinorwic Quarry (again) I used the GH1 all the way to the top, then returned with just the OM30 in use. It's just so much fun to use with a 24mm prime on it. :D

Cathrine Stephansen
7th January 2011, 03:28 PM
I'll use the E5 from now on for my private photography and when I only need one body, the E3 will be used for future fieldwork when I need to have both the 12-60mm and 50-200mm/EC14 combo ready for shootin'.

During fieldwork /coastline inventory work, we photograph both coastline and wildlife, usually from a boat, and since I had only one camera body, I missed out on a lot of birds when I had to switch optics. The E3 is excellent for the coastline shots (shoots sharp and precise, even when the boat is going at high speeds) and I will entrust it with the 12-60 mm for shoreline photos. It's shot between 20-30 000 exposures during fieldwork up to now, and it's such a workhorse. I've treated it to a bit of R&R at the moment - it's enjoying a full spa treatment in Portugal I believe. It has earnt my affection. *hthrob2

E5 will be expected to perform to perfection, working with the 50-200mm/EC14, or 50-200 on it's own for wildlife. I am very pleased with it up to now, but it still has a bit of work to do to before it will be a favourite child. :D

garethlovering
7th January 2011, 05:53 PM
Panasonic GH2 for me.

StephenL
7th January 2011, 06:00 PM
Surprised no-one has chosen the E-1. It was a close-run thing for me!

Garrie
8th January 2011, 12:06 AM
I'm surprise how many E-5 owners we have :)

Zuiko
8th January 2011, 12:42 AM

My thoughts exactly when I saw the latest figures. :)

Ross the fiddler
8th January 2011, 06:02 AM
E-5 over the E-520, but I haven't yet decided whether to sell my much-loved E520 with one or two kit lenses or keep it as second body/backup. I could be nudged with a good offer, but still sitting on the fence.

Don't sell it until you have something better to replace it with. You might go for the next PEN if it is a high spec one to go with your E5.

I'm surprised the E5 is outdoing the E30 already or else all the E30 users haven't responded yet. Are there that few users of the E30?

shenstone
8th January 2011, 09:18 AM

Methinks that the type of people who will purchase an E-5 will also be active on the forum

That's the thing with these types of surveys it's always an intersection between what you're asking and who's voting

Regards
Andy

snaarman
8th January 2011, 09:46 AM
Come on fellow E620 owners, click your box...

We know the truth: It's not big but it is clever :)

Pete

iMac
8th January 2011, 01:57 PM
E-30 as the main, and the E-510 as a backup / and the bride uses it a lot.

David M
8th January 2011, 02:01 PM
Surprised no-one has chosen the E-1. It was a close-run thing for me!

I never fell in love with the E-1 like a lot of users seemed to. I sold mine (along with my 14-54 and 50-200) after getting the E-410 with the two kit lenses. I can't say I've ever really missed it.

Still have the 410 kit as a lightweight outfit despite having the E-3 with HG and SHG lenses.

Don't sell it until you have something better to replace it with. You might go for the next PEN if it is a high spec one to go with your E5.

I'm surprised the E5 is outdoing the E30 already or else all the E30 users haven't responded yet. Are there that few users of the E30?

The E-30 seemed to sell well but I'd pick an E-3 over the 30 every time.

shenstone
8th January 2011, 04:51 PM
The E-30 seemed to sell well but I'd pick an E-3 over the 30 every time.

Strange how we all see differences

I didn't see the E-3 as much of an improvement on my e-510 other than heavy weather proofing I didn't need so waited until the E-30 came out to upgrade

Regards
Andy

David M
8th January 2011, 05:24 PM
Strange how we all see differences

I didn't see the E-3 as much of an improvement on my e-510 other than heavy weather proofing I didn't need so waited until the E-30 came out to upgrade

Regards
Andy

The weather sealing was a factor but the better viewfinder, shutter and metal frame were also factors. I did consider an E-30 as a back-up body but decided the E-410 was fine for that. I may pick up an E-5 at some point and have the E-3 as back-up.

I must admit it's nice being able to use the E-3 in rain, snow and dust. Taken in light snow with the E-3, 50-200 and EC14, all sealed of course;

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/2010662.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/12536)

Ross the fiddler
8th January 2011, 11:19 PM
Come on fellow E620 owners, click your box...

We know the truth: It's not big but it is clever :)

Pete

Does that mean I can say mine's bigger than yours. :D

Lord Minty
9th January 2011, 07:57 AM
Does that mean I can say mine's bigger than yours. :D

You can but as the saying goes it's not the size that counts but what you do with it! ;)

I've given the E-600 my vote but a month ago it would have been E-330.