PDA

View Full Version : Strange behaviour this morning

andym
13th March 2008, 10:08 AM
I went out early this morning for a walk,I had taken about 90 photos on a 1 gig Sandisc extreme 3 card in Raw so it was probably just about full.The E3 was also showing low battery.
I took one more picture when the view finder went blank,I assumed the mirror had locked up.
I depowered the E3 and then turned back on again,all it would show was CF write protect.
I assume that the battery must have run out while it was writing to the card.
When I got home I put the card in my PC,it showed all the ORF's but when I copied then to my hard drive it said the last one was corrupt.
I have now changed my batteries and reformated my card and all seems ok.
Do you think I am right in my assumption that the battery ran out as the camera was writing to the card??
Has anyone else had this??

Ian
13th March 2008, 10:18 AM
I went out early this morning for a walk,I had taken about 90 photos on a 1 gig Sandisc extreme 3 card in Raw so it was probably just about full.The E3 was also showing low battery.
I took one more picture when the view finder went blank,I assumed the mirror had locked up.
I depowered the E3 and then turned back on again,all it would show was CF write protect.
I assume that the battery must have run out while it was writing to the card.
When I got home I put the card in my PC,it showed all the ORF's but when I copied then to my hard drive it said the last one was corrupt.
I have now changed my batteries and reformated my card and all seems ok.
Do you think I a right in my assumption that the battery ran out as the camera was writing to the card??
Has anyone else had this??

Seems reasonable to me.

Ian

ravenblack
13th March 2008, 10:28 AM
How come you got about 90 images on a 1gb card in RAW? I use a 2gb card in my E400 and get 92 RAW images! What's all that about then?

andym
13th March 2008, 10:42 AM
How come you got about 90 images on a 1gb card in RAW? I use a 2gb card in my E400 and get 92 RAW images! What's all that about then?

I believe Raw on the E400 is uncompressed like on my E1.If you look at your file sizes they probably will be about 20 megs as the 5 M/P E1 is about 10 megs.
The E3(and the 410/510)uses compressed RAW hence the files are about 10megs.

ravenblack
13th March 2008, 10:50 AM
Ah, the penny drops! Yes they are about 21 megs uncompressed. I have only just bought the new card and the write speed is incredibly fast compared to the XD (which now just sits in the camera as back up). I am so far very pleased with it. Good price too from photosense!

KEITHBD
13th March 2008, 01:28 PM
I think it is a good idea to test cards thoroughly prior to any serious photography. I had a nasty experience at the week end. I did format
the brand new Kingston Elite pro card prior to going out and tested it with a couple of exposures.Cleaned the card up again and after taking about 20 shots I viewed them and all was O.K. So I switched off the camera and returned to the car for a further viewing - to my horror camera indicated card fault!
On returning home and placing the card in the computer the card showed
requires formating. This I did in the camera loosing all my photo's. Since then card has behaved itself perfectly.All very confusing.
Keith.

snaarman
13th March 2008, 02:44 PM
Hmm - interesting stuff.. Low battery is dangerous territory for processors, so nothing would surprise me.

I get 84 E-400 images (RAW+small jpeg) on a 2 gig card, so when holiday time comes I will be buying 2 more 2 gig cards so the risk of losing my pictures is at least divided by three :-)

Maybe after this thread I will run some tests on the new cards to make sure they behave...

Pete

andym
13th March 2008, 02:57 PM
Dont think there is anything wrong with the card.I have had it for about 2 years and used it all the time in my E1.
I feel it was just unlucky that my battery ran out when it was writing to the card.
On my E1 when the low power indicator came up I would change the battery straight away as I would only get about 20 more shot out of it.With the E3 I seem to get about 150 more shots once the low battery inticator come on so am always a bit unsure when to change batteries.
The good thing is I did not lose everything on the card ,only the last picture.

Ian
13th March 2008, 07:48 PM
The E-3 is definitely hungrier for power than the E-1 if you have live view and image stabilisation switched on.

Ian