PDA

View Full Version : batteries

Roberta
5th January 2011, 12:15 AM
Has any one used one of the non Olypus batteries.
Roberta

Longcove
5th January 2011, 01:52 AM
HI: I've used both Olympus and no name for years. You can pick up no name and Olympus on eBay very cheaply. I just bought several Olympus BLS1s and BLM1s from China for $6 each and one from here in Canada for $9 - free postage. You have to be a bit careful with no name for you can easily buy lower capacity batteries. Look at the photos carefully to make sure you are getting at least 1150mAH. I've been very pleased with mine as they often have higher capacity - 1800 v 1150mAH and they do last longer. You can usually get free postage from China & Hong Kong but it is slow. You can get the occasional dead battery but I've never had one for a camera.
Donald

Dogcow
5th January 2011, 07:06 AM
Yes, I tried a few unbranded ones, but was very disappointed with the performance.

Within 6 months of use, they lost about 50% of their capacity.

David Morison
5th January 2011, 07:55 AM
I have six BLM-1s only one of which is Olympus original. All unbranded batteries are higher capacity than Olympus, have lasted well and have been readily available for a low price from UK dealers through Ebay. The Olympus battery failed after only a short while!

Lesson learnt!

David

OlyPaul
5th January 2011, 07:56 AM
Yes, I tried a few unbranded ones, but was very disappointed with the performance.

Within 6 months of use, they lost about 50% of their capacity.

I would agree with Dogcow and have had the same problem with cheap ones.

Saying that the only ones I trust to work as well as Olympus batteries are by Uniross and Accu Energiser, a little dearer than the cheapo ones but better made and more reliable.

http://www.tantronics.co.uk/acatalog/olympus_bls1_battery.html

http://www.batterylogic.co.uk/digital/olympus-BLS1-replacement-battery.htm

catkins
5th January 2011, 09:53 AM
Yes - I find the compatibles that I've bought have worked well and have no noticeable issues.
Since starting with Olympus cameras in early 2006 I have had two compatibles & one original fail, but with the compatibles only costing UK 6 today compared to UK 55 (approx.) I have no qualms buying compatibles from a reputable source.

Here in the UK I have always bought from 7dayshop.com and their current blurb states
This battery is a high quality 7.2v 1500mAh lithium-ion replacement for the following battery types Olympus PS-BLM1 / BLM-1
We recommend that this battery is fully charged prior to first use. By following this simple instruction, you will enjoy superb performance - equivalent to or exceeding that of the manufacturer's original battery.
The UK's Best Value and Performance - Please do not be put off by the incredibly low selling price of this superb rechargeable Li-Ion battery, it will give equal or better performance than other batteries which cost several times more. And we promise that if you are not 101% delighted then (within 30 days of receipt) you may return it to us for a full refund of the purchase price paid !

Now a 30 days full refund offer is no good when it comes to rating a battery's performance over several years, so ignore that part, but for the reassurance of always knowing that you have at least one or two spare batteries in your camera bag, compatibles offer extremely good value.
As with all batteries, the frequency and type of charging regime will probably have more influence on any batteries lifespan rather than the quality or otherwise of most modern reputable compatibles.

Regards
Chris

Ross the fiddler
5th January 2011, 10:26 AM
I have bought mine from e-Batteries in Sydney http://www.e-batteries.com.au/product_info.php/products_id/3734 & they have been fine with no failures but maybe a drop in capacity, but who cares, they cost a fraction of the Olympus one.

Wee man
5th January 2011, 12:41 PM
I have been using 7 day shop batteries also with no problems.

shenstone
5th January 2011, 12:53 PM
I have 6 unbranded and 3 Originals.

One unbranded has totally failed but to be honest I can't tell the difference in performance in the rest except in extreme cold (-10 and below) where the Originals seem to hold charge better

Given the price difference even if they do lose 50% capacity they are good value IMO

Regards
Andy

timg
5th January 2011, 03:40 PM
Tests from a few third-party batteries...

http://t5r.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/e1/clonetests.htm

OlyPaul
5th January 2011, 03:45 PM
Tests from a few third-party batteries...

http://t5r.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/e1/clonetests.htm

Nice to see the two I recommended came top. :)

Wally
5th January 2011, 04:01 PM
I too have purchased replacement batteries for the Oly from 7ds and other suppliers over the i'net and have yet to find fault. The last battery was for a C*n*n 1d Mk2 N and so far, 4 1/2 months down the road all is good. The UK price for an original from 'you know who' is/was 150... the price for the 7ds replacement was 12 inc free P&P. As all batteries have a finite lifespan and, as a consumable, usually come with a 6 month warranty, I can't honestly get all worked up if the el cheapo versions don't last as long as the original and for the price are worth taking a chance... some you win and some you don't which is why I carry more than one spare.

Roberta
21st January 2011, 09:12 PM
many thanks, I ordered 2 from the battery place in Sydney so far so good, again many thanks
Roberta

Ross the fiddler
21st January 2011, 11:41 PM
many thanks, I ordered 2 from the battery place in Sydney so far so good, again many thanks
Roberta

Good to hear Roberta.
BTW are you getting a bit wet around there? I spent my first 2 (working years) holiday periods down on a farm in Gormandale back in the 70's. A lovely place (from what I remember).

Roberta
22nd January 2011, 07:06 AM
Ross we're a bit more over to the East between Bairnsdale and Lakes Entrance. Its a funny area we watch rain in Bairnsdale and it splits and either goes down the coast to Lakes or up the dividing range. But we get enough to keep the tanks full. Luckily we are at the top of a hill so no chance of flooding like the other side of the state.