PDA

View Full Version : Multi Spot Metering

Steve Lane
12th March 2008, 09:39 AM
Good Morning folks!

Just a quick question really; How many of you old OM'ers that are now using the E-System, miss the multi spot metering facility found in the OM3/4 models? I don't think it has yet been incorporated into any of the E-System bodies, although a subset of it (Spot Highlight/Shadow) is available in some models.

I would dearly love to see this added to a future body, although I am unsure how this would be interpreted though the viewfinder as modern camera displays are busy enough...

I must admit that I never used all eight metering points, but 3 or 4 are very useful indeed.

Regards, Steve.

Hiding_Pup
12th March 2008, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I'd want that :-)

Graham_of_Rainham
12th March 2008, 10:39 AM
I regularly use 3 or 5 spot readings on my OM4Ti to balance Hi & Lo areas with either 2 Hi 3 Lo or the other way round to get rich blacks and whites that are not burned. I'd really like to see similar simple capability on the E-Series. Why do viewfinder displays have to be fixed symbols? Why not full dotmatrix displays that can display a variety of info (user selectible please) so that it tells you only what you need to know.

Something for the E-3sp ;)

dbutch
12th March 2008, 11:59 AM
Yep it was one of the strong points of my OM4

I wonder with modern digital technology it could be configured with the tone curve to optimise the exposure sort of like in camera levels?

Dave

JohnGG
12th March 2008, 12:20 PM
Yes, I use that a lot on the OM3 and OM4, especially useful on interiors like churches. Definitely on my wish list for an E-System body. They'd have to find room for another button, though.

Cheers,

JohnGG

HughofBardfield
12th March 2008, 01:17 PM
Agree completely - I used it a lot on my OM4. I would happily forego the extra focus points in favour of this (when I can find a buyer for one of my kidneys so I can afford an E3).

Does any DSLR have a similar system?

knikki
12th March 2008, 03:58 PM
The only cameras I know of that had Multiple Spot metering system was the Canon T90 and the Oly OM4 & OM3. (forgot) the Minolta 8000i Dynax but you had to buy and Expansion Card to get it.

Lots of Digital cameras have a Siingle Spot Meter capability, sold as "this is how the pro's do it" but none have multi spot.

I think the main reason is that these days it is seen that the ESP, Matrix, Evaluative multi seqment metering systems are better for joe user than spot systems.

I still have and use my Canon T90 and OM4 and use the Multi Spot all the time. Think when you know how to use them they are better than the modern day ones, but that is my opinion :D

JohnGG
12th March 2008, 10:20 PM
Another camera with multi-spot metering is the Rollei 6008 Integral medium format camera. I've a feeling that the Pentax 67 II with the AE prism might have as well but I'm not sure.

Cheers,

JohnGG

bassman
13th March 2008, 09:33 PM
Would love to see this added in future models, best metering system I've ever used, even my Camedia 5050 has this feature. Could it be possible in a firmware update ?