PDA

View Full Version : My field assistant!

Cathrine Stephansen
30th December 2010, 03:41 PM
Just thought I'd like to present my most useful accessory - my best buddy and helpful field assistant - Emil. :D

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1088/emil_stativ.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/29742)

Cathrine Stephansen
30th December 2010, 03:44 PM
Image quality is lousy BTW, it's an iPhone :eek::eek:

Dog is Super High Grade, though.

theMusicMan
30th December 2010, 03:49 PM
Awww, what a lovely photo. She looks so obedient, and tremendously cute with it!

Cathrine Stephansen
30th December 2010, 03:57 PM
It's a male :D. But yeah, he's cute too (just don't tell him)

theMusicMan
30th December 2010, 04:00 PM
It's a male :D. But yeah, he's cute too (just don't tell him)
Oops, sorry Cathrine... hope he forgives me!

Ulfric M Douglas
30th December 2010, 04:12 PM
He says his name's Manfrotto.

theMusicMan
30th December 2010, 04:26 PM
My dogs name is 'Ollie' - hmmmm, wonder where I got that from then? :)

Wally
30th December 2010, 04:32 PM
Now we know why they are woman/man's best friend. Who else would go traipsing around in the freezing cold and not complain even when lumbered with carrying all the gear?

Nice piccie btw even if the image quality is crap.

shenstone
30th December 2010, 05:10 PM
Now this shot almost cancels out the statment I have heard about (and experienced) about spaniels vs my favorite breed

Border collies are born half trained.. Spaniels die half trained :rolleyes:

A fun shot whatever it was taken with

Here's an old shot of our occasional dog Misty ( she stays with us on holidays ) which is totally incapable of fetching but is loveable all the same. This was taken just after she missed the boulder she was leaping for at the beach, and as you can see the tail is still a blur

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/soggy_doggy.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5930)

Regards
Andy

CaptainD
30th December 2010, 06:16 PM
How wonderful to have such a dedicated assistant, I am very jealous indeed.

Cheers

Chris *chr

Cathrine Stephansen
30th December 2010, 06:23 PM
Now this shot almost cancels out the statment I have heard about (and experienced) about spaniels vs my favorite breed

Border collies are born half trained.. Spaniels die half trained :rolleyes:

A fun shot whatever it was taken with

Here's an old shot of our occasional dog Misty ( she stays with us on holidays ) which is totally incapable of fetching but is loveable all the same. This was taken just after she missed the boulder she was leaping for at the beach, and as you can see the tail is still a blur

Regards
Andy

You could be quite right that border collies might have reached half their potential by the time they are born, whereas most spaniels don't live long enough for us to pack in the training their brains allow before their life is over :D

(You are, BTW talking to a woman who is mad enough about springers to travel from Norway to Birmingham in March just for the sake of viewing, not even entering a minor canine event :D)

I'm still waiting for LowePro to make a proper dog back-pack for my extra lenses. However, it would need serious water proofing. I once trusted him with my wallet, mobile phone and car keys. I put them all in his back pack. He cought a whiff of an attractive bitch and set off! The bitch's owners called the number on his collar when he caught up with them, only to hear his back pack ringing. They had a good laugh about that...

He fetches me beers though!*chr

Cathrine Stephansen
30th December 2010, 06:25 PM
My dogs name is 'Ollie' - hmmmm, wonder where I got that from then? :)

If I could have a cat , it would be named Olympus. "Pus" is Norwegian for kitty.

theMusicMan
30th December 2010, 07:56 PM
If I could have a cat , it would be named Olympus. "Pus" is Norwegian for kitty.
Haha.... I like that Cathrine! *chr

Cathrine Stephansen
30th December 2010, 09:43 PM
Actually, it would be Olympus Miew (Mju)

PeterBirder
30th December 2010, 09:57 PM
Actually, it would be Olympus Miew (Mju)

Great:D:D:D

You have a very "English" sense of humour.*chr

Cathrine Stephansen
30th December 2010, 11:55 PM
Great:D:D:D

You have a very "English" sense of humour.*chr

Awww! I think that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me! *chr

Roberta
1st January 2011, 04:29 AM
think how far i would get................I've got minature dachshunds. Great photo, mine would just check if it was edible.
I have said to husband our next set 4 legged kids will at least be able to get in the car by themslves.
roberta

pepper
1st January 2011, 01:54 PM
Ahh, Springer Spaniels!

Here's mine

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4100/4879342696_cfb47cde4c_z.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2797/4337731048_533911cf5a_z.jpg

I got him at nine months old, his previous owners could't cope with him as he was so unruly!

He came from a local family (very posh and respected in the community in a dreadful state) his coat was matted, knotted and stank, he had terrible ear infections which were so bad my wife wouldn't let him in the house until I thoroughly cleaned him and cut all his knots and dreadlocks out!

Today is the second anniversary of him coming to our house and he is a lovely dog (if you don't like it close your ears as we use him for beating for the local shoot, it's a job he was bred to do and he excels at it!)

He's in fact just about to get a bath as we went out this morning for a bike ride and he spent the whole time wading through all the streams and hedges he could find!

Cathrine, Emils ears are huge! does he have problems with ear infections?

pepper
1st January 2011, 01:58 PM
Also he has lots of naughty spots on his nose, does he live upto them?

Cathrine Stephansen
1st January 2011, 03:27 PM
He's only had one ear infection ever, and that was during the summer holiday when it was 30 degrees C and he swam in salt water. We were tenting and I didn't notice he was damp in the ears. I keep them trimmed, use clippers on the inside and the top 1/3 of his ear feathering. You've probably noticed he's show type :D His feathering on his chest is 15 cm long and thick, that needs trimming every fortnight as well. I show him regularly, so have to keep him shining. He won't walk around the bogs though, so there's no getting any help from him, haha.

I bet yours loves his flushing job! Emil loves that to. He flushed a capercaillie once that made a lot of noise when it took to the wings, and Emil tried to catch it mid-air. He was very disappointed it didn't work, and I was really relieved. :D

pepper
1st January 2011, 04:01 PM
He does look a lovely dog! Louis is pure working stock with field trial champions in both his mother and fathers lines.

Where do you show Emil? Is it just in Norway or do you travel further afield?

flying haggis
1st January 2011, 06:20 PM
He fetches me beers though!*chr

Doesn't need any more training then*yes

Cathrine Stephansen
1st January 2011, 06:47 PM
He does look a lovely dog! Louis is pure working stock with field trial champions in both his mother and fathers lines.

Where do you show Emil? Is it just in Norway or do you travel further afield?

He was entered for the Blackpool show in 2009, but five minutes before we were scheduled to go to the vet to get his Echinococcus tablets and drive to the UK, he slipped and injured his back, and had to stay with friends when we went for our holiday in Wales (on the Llangollen canal)... All that paperwork to get him show-ready for the UK wasted! Rabies vaccines is the least problem, but he had to have an Authority to compete-number with the Kennel Club, and it was a lot of work trying to find out which class to compete in. Then I had to change his entering class as he became a show champion in Norway after original entry...
So up to now he's been only shown in Norway, but does best for UK judges... We take him hunting, he fetches anything I point to, he does blood tracking, so I guess there's as much brains as there is beauty :D We call them Dual Purpose. the main difference is that the working bred ones (here) are more efficient in the field, whereas both types retrieve readily. Show type springers rule in blood tracking here.