PDA

View Full Version : Yet another camera bag question.

paullus
30th December 2010, 09:56 AM
Good morning. I was fortunate enough to get a Zuiko 50-200 SWD for Christmas. It's a fantastic lens and so big compared to the 70-300 especially with the lampshade of hood fitted.
I have several bags for my kit. I use my Lowepro AW300 generally to store and carry all my kit and a Crumpler Pretty Boy 4000XL to carry my E3 with 14-54 fitted and 70-300 squeezed in.
So I'm now looking for a bag that will comfortably take just the camera with the the 50-200 fitted. I don't want a huge bag just something to lug the camera around in with enough storage for a spare battery and memory card at the most.
Any suggestions please?
Thank you and have a very happy New Year.*chr

catkins
30th December 2010, 03:03 PM
Have a look at the Hama Defender range if wanting a reporter style camera bag at a good value price. I got the Defender 200 which is quite a big bag but it fits all that I want with a little space for drink/food left over! It has top double zip, side opening, small items storage pocket, good strap, etc., etc.
But there are also larger and smaller versions available, and I have found it to be a really worthwhile easy access bag to have if out with a full range of kit.

I also use a small Kata backpack if out walking, and again there's a full range of options depending upon requirements.

Regards

paullus
15th January 2011, 11:24 AM
I settled for a Lowepro Toploader 75AW in the end. I bought it from Wee Man a forum member, thanks again Ed for a brilliant deal. I find it somewhat amazing that post from you can arrive the next day when I have to wait for over a week for letters to arrive from my parents in North Wales!
The 75AW is the perfect solution to my needs. I've used the sliplock facillity to attach a Lowepro case for my 14-54 lens. I'm just toying with the idea of buying a chest harness for the bag to make it easier to carry as it is BIG and quite weighty with the E3 with 50-200 and aforementioned lens case attached.
Another result.

yorky
15th January 2011, 11:43 AM
Try the Kata range, The Thoax bag should be fine, I just got one today and its just about the right size for walking with the E5, spare lens battery and a few filters

benvendetta
15th January 2011, 11:29 PM
I settled for a Lowepro Toploader 75AW in the end. I bought it from Wee Man a forum member, thanks again Ed for a brilliant deal. I find it somewhat amazing that post from you can arrive the next day when I have to wait for over a week for letters to arrive from my parents in North Wales!
The 75AW is the perfect solution to my needs. I've used the sliplock facillity to attach a Lowepro case for my 14-54 lens. I'm just toying with the idea of buying a chest harness for the bag to make it easier to carry as it is BIG and quite weighty with the E3 with 50-200 and aforementioned lens case attached.
Another result.

That is a good combo and one that I use occasional albeit with the old 50-200. I had the chest harness with mine and it makes the camera quick to use. Go for it!

paullus
16th January 2011, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I've now ordered a chest harness for the Toploader as I found the weight of the bag loaded with E3, grip, 50-200 and 14-54 a bit too much to be carried for any length of time despite the excellent shoulder strap. Having said that the bag has provided the solution to what I wanted for particular outings.
I prefer my Crumpler Pretty Boy for carrying the E3 with 14-54 fitted which is what I'm using most of the time. When I need to hump all my kit around my huge Lowepro Slingshot 300AW is by far the most comfortable to carry.

I have found one small snag with the Toploader to be aware of however. When I lower the camera with grip fitted into it, the little plastic hot-shoe cover gets pushed off and could easily be lost.

Cheers,
Steve

Rod Souter
16th January 2011, 09:22 PM
There's a plastic hot-shoe cover for the E-3?:D:D:D:D:D

Rod

David M
16th January 2011, 10:44 PM

Rod

Apparently. I must have a collection somewhere dating back to my first OM1 in 1976.

photo_owl
17th January 2011, 09:55 AM

Rod

Yep - each camera comes with one when new. You should take them off immediately and put them somewhere safe so that you still have them when you sell the thing.......then write a note to remind you where you have put them and put that somewhere safe.....then........:rolleyes:

I have 5 (somewhere) :(

cinders
17th January 2011, 10:39 AM
My partner came up to me outside the house some time ago and said, "I've just found this piece of black plastic on the car seat, is it anything important?"

Me - " I don't think so, but let me have a closer look"

At which point we totally fumbled passing over the said item, and I saw it drop on the ground.

I thought - oh yes, I recognise that, it's the hotshoe cover from my camera....

Then it bounced once and dropped straight down the drain in front of my eyes!!!!!!!

:mad::mad::mad:

Pete7811
14th January 2013, 12:01 PM
Hi same here, and I couldn't get one from anywhere even tried Oly customer service with no luck (what a crap service that is anyway). So I was still desperetelly trying to get those little plastic devils. I kept looking and emailing to various retailers. Today I found an email from one of them. They managed to order for me genuine Olympus hot shoe plastic insert. They have them in all colours here: ww.lutoncameras.co.uk/ShopPage/Accessories/PEN_E-P2_AccCover/spec.html

jdal
14th January 2013, 01:43 PM
Stick it in a drawer and if you really want a hot shoe cover cut a bit of credit card up to the right size.

(Saves a fortune, because you can't use the credit card ;))

Olybirder
14th January 2013, 02:13 PM
I have lost the Hot Shoe cover and the Flash Sync Cap from my E-30. Several times I have thought about buying replacements from Luton Camera Repair Centre, especially as the Hot Shoe Cover is just 2.99 and the Flash Sync Cap 2.00. However the postage for the first item is 2.00 and the second 3.00. I thought it would be a good idea to buy an extra, spare Hot Shoe Cover at the same time but you have to pay postage on each of them. That means that 2 Hot Shoe Covers and 1 Flash Sync Covers cost 7.99 but the postage is 7.00, which seems rather a lot for 3 items which could be popped into an envelope together.

My E-30 is still minus its two covers!

Ron

StephenL
14th January 2013, 02:46 PM
Just buy a bargain bucket of generic hot shoe covers from any of many on Fleabay. Work out at coppers apiece.

IamFisheye
17th January 2013, 12:24 PM
OLyBirder, just send Luton a list of what you want and ask them for sensible price for postage. I bought spares for my e-3 some time back from them and did just that.