PDA

View Full Version : E620 and Fl36r for macro

Danny
29th December 2010, 11:53 AM
Hi all

Its been ages since I posted here, and I've been browsing all morning seeing what I've been missing - other photography forums just dont cut it for advice, this place is the dog's charlies :)

Anyway, my wife was very kind to me this Christmas and bought me a FL36r flash for my Olys. I plan to use it mostly on the 620 for macro work, as wildlife is my main thing. Now, I have a bracket that fits to the tripod interface and this hold the flash nicely off camera to either side of the subject. I plan to use this as the flash sits high up on the camera and with the 35mm ZD I assume there will be shadows?

With the setup I am outlining above, would you guys think that I just need a flash sync cable to fire the flash? Or should I use it on rc mode? Any advice much appreciatd, I am a total flash noob!

Thanks

Danny

PS. I hope everyone had a good xmas and got lots of photographic goodies :)

shenstone
29th December 2010, 12:13 PM
I would get a cable

The RC mode in olympus is not radio, but light. it means you have to have your pop up clash operating as well which means 2 light sources.

This can help minimise strong shadows on close up, but it can also be tricky and a single flash will give cleaner shadows

However with a very close macro you could get into the situation where you have too much shadow and you may also want to consider a diffuser (like this http://www.digitalmediastore.co.uk/flash_accessories/flash_diffusers/olympus/JJC_FC26D_White_Flash_Diffuser__JJC-FC26DOY-D) and a reflector (http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/5-in-1-collapsible-flash-reflector-005985-010.html ) for your collections. The products linked are just random grabs as there are so many vendors out there that do these sort of things

Regards
Andy

Danny
29th December 2010, 12:23 PM
Cheers for the prompt reply - I've ordered a decent quality 1.7m cable from amazon, hopefully be here soon. I will deffo look into a diffuser, I've been reading about harsh shadows, etc.
Thx again

Danny

Daveart
29th December 2010, 06:07 PM
Hi one could also raid the kitchen for some bake-o-foil which makes a very good reflector put in onto a bit of a frame and at approx 120 degs from the flash and tilting towards the subject. Should give great results, play arround with the flash settings as you dont want to get rid of the shadows just soften them to give a little detail in them.

Dave

Lord Minty
29th December 2010, 08:22 PM
It depends what you want to do macro-wise but in my experience you'll really need a ring flash of some sort.

Might be worth you Googling around for Strobist DIY ring flash ideas using normal flash guns.

photo_owl
29th December 2010, 10:01 PM
at the risk of potentially disagreeing with Andy any contribution from the RC controller will be the least of your issues! (the rest of his post I agree 100%)

after you have played around a bit you will probably conclude that you need at least 2 light sources, and preferably more!

2 or 3 distinct sources give an excellent 3d look - ring flash gives great lighting, but some suggest it's a little 'flat' (which in one sense it what it's designed to do!)

I would really suggest using the 36 on the hotshoe but using reflectors for the lighting (from the single source), alternatively the 36 via RC and in conjunction with 1 or 2 reflectors.

a 'diffuser' in this context will simply reduce the flash output - think about it.

Danny
30th December 2010, 10:00 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments, some real interesting reading for me to be getting on with.

Thanks for taking the time to respond

Danny