PDA

View Full Version : Monopods

Garrie
11th March 2008, 09:26 PM
Hi All,

Just thinking about getting a Monopod. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I currently use a Manfrotto Tripod which I like so i'm tempted to stick with Manfrotto however I am open to suggestions.

Also is there any good online shops that people can recommend?

Cheers
Garrie

shenstone
11th March 2008, 11:04 PM
Hi All,

Just thinking about getting a Monopod. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I currently use a Manfrotto Tripod which I like so i'm tempted to stick with Manfrotto however I am open to suggestions.

Also is there any good online shops that people can recommend?

Cheers
Garrie

Hi Garrie

I have a Manfrotto monpod - one reason for staying with it may be the same shoe fitting wich makes it easier to change between mono and tri.. it does depend on the head you chose - they are sold seperately from the monopods

The general advice as per tripods is to use the sturdiest you are willing to carry as the stiffness is the key benefit

I bought mine from Jacobs - they were as cost effective as any on-line shops I found

Lastly though ... I find I don't use mine much ... if I'm willing to carry it I find I use a tripod which I can use with the legs folded up if space is tight and even a 6 inch spread is more stable than the mono..

Some thoughts anyway

Regards
Andy

yorky
12th March 2008, 10:18 AM
I have a mangrotto, its good but I would go for Benbo were I to buy another. The Manfotto is fine but you need the head which is another £26 on top.

HughofBardfield
12th March 2008, 01:45 PM
I have a Manfrotto monpod - one reason for staying with it may be the same shoe fitting wich makes it easier to change between mono and tri.. it does depend on the head you chose - they are sold seperately from the monopods

I also have a Manfrotto - a 680B. It's OK, but I prefer a tripod or a bean bag. Using heads that allow the same QR plate is the most important thing. I keep a QR plate on my camera bodies, 50-200 and 135-400 all the time. I find it encourages me to use the support as I have less excuse not to! I normally leave a tripod in the car for the same reason.

I've bought stuff online from Fotosense, Calumet, Park Cameras and Digital Depot - all have given good service so far. It's worth having a look on eBay as well: recently got a good deal on a Benbo Trekker that way.

Garrie
13th March 2008, 04:19 PM
Cheers for the advice :)

E-P1 fan
13th March 2008, 04:37 PM
I got a great thing on eBay called a Camcane - originally made by Billingham its basically a walking stick with a ball handle. You also get a little clever rubber cup that screws on to the tripod thread of your camera - you can keep this on the camera quite easily if you choose to.

Use the Camcane just as an extendable walking stick... then when you want to take a pic... raise the Camcane (one movement) to the height you want, place the camera (via the rubber cup) on the ball top and bingo - monopod steadiness without all that fuss. A very discreet item. And one that really does work.

http://lists.tako.de/Olympus-OM/2002-09/msg00923.html

Steve Lane
13th March 2008, 05:07 PM
Hello Garrie

I have been using a Montrail Trekking Pole for several years now. It is basically a walking pole which allows the pommel to be unscrewed revealing a 1/4 inch thread. I have found it most useful when backpacking as it is light and strong enough to take a camera and body weighing a couple of kilos.

My guess is that you could attach a ball head or similar to the thread to make it more versatile. I purchased mine from Speedgrahic, who appear to still sell them; check out http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/prod.asp?i=7285&1=Exped+Viewfinder+Trekking+Pole

Regards, Steve.

ianc
13th March 2008, 05:27 PM
Hi Garrie,

Leki also do a couple of walking pole/monopods which are a similar idea to the montrail.

Ian C.