PDA

View Full Version : What should I buy, and where from?

Lord Minty
16th December 2010, 09:31 PM
Seeking advice on both what to buy and where to buy from... sorry for the ramble...

We started off with a Currys E-500 twin lens kit for me, then my good lady fancied an E-330 so we got one too from Digital Depot. Since then my daughter has claimed the E-330 and my wife the E-500, and I've been left out - last time we went out together with cameras I had to take my Exa II and limit myself to 36 shots on film!!

While I'm not too averse to taking out my old film cameras like my East German OM4 copy (Praktica BX20) occasionally, I'd prefer to have another Oly DSLR body to use as we've got a small collection of lenses (Oly 14-42, 17.5-45, 40-150, 18-180 & 35mm macro + a whole load of M42 glass, couple of OM-fit, a K A/R, a few Exakta lenses and a load of Praktica PB via a DIY adapter).

Price-wise my budget is around 300. I'd prefer to buy from somewhere where I get some sort of warranty/guarantee preferably as long as possible, so that more or less rules out most on eBay. I'd like the body to have IS for the legacy glass, and I'd like an articulated screen like the E-330. Those can be satisfied by an E-620, but I'd settle for a s/h E-600. I'm sure the E-510/E-520 would be fine too.

Locally I've seen an E-300 for sale - how much of a backward step would that be to the E-500/E-330 in terms of menus/controls?

Suggestions of cameras and where to buy welcome :)

gregles
16th December 2010, 10:34 PM
There is a used e420 with 25mm pancake and a used e620 within your budget at Ffordes. I would assume they come with some warranty so might be worth a look.

http://www.ffordes.com/category/Cameras/Digital_SLRs/Olympus

Greg

cinders
16th December 2010, 10:39 PM
I can recommend the E620 if you can find a used one. That's the best of all the options IMHO...

snaarman
16th December 2010, 10:42 PM
My E510 body is still available, if you have the lenses. I found it the equal of my E620 in image quality... An excellent camera, but now I use E620/E600 as they share the same battery and menu system...

PM me if you are interested, I might be able to do a deal :-)

Pete

gregles
16th December 2010, 10:57 PM
I forgot Pete had his e510 available and I can certainly vouch for it's capabilities*chr

Greg:)

Lord Minty
17th December 2010, 08:31 AM
There is a used e420 with 25mm pancake and a used e620 within your budget at Ffordes. I would assume they come with some warranty so might be worth a look.

http://www.ffordes.com/category/Cameras/Digital_SLRs/Olympus

Greg

Thanks Greg,

I'm not really that keen on the E-4x0s as they'll feel a little dumbed down after the E-500. That E-620 looks good though, I'll have to have a think about that.

Lord Minty
17th December 2010, 08:32 AM
My E510 body is still available, if you have the lenses. I found it the equal of my E620 in image quality... An excellent camera, but now I use E620/E600 as they share the same battery and menu system...

PM me if you are interested, I might be able to do a deal :-)

Pete

Hi Pete, It's already on my list of possibles - I wouldn't be interested in the Industar though as I've already got one of my own :)

Lord Minty
18th December 2010, 10:15 PM
Well I had a close look at the local E-300 today and it's like new.

I've tracked down an E-600 about 30 miles away, but I won't be able to see that (if at all) until after Xmas :(

The weather at the moment, and Xmas coming isn't helping my decision making!

Blincodave
19th December 2010, 05:46 PM
I've sent you a PM.

Dave

Lord Minty
30th December 2010, 08:14 PM
Well the E-300 sold early this week, and I know (Blinco)Dave sold his E-600 (and HLD-5), so I went to have a look at the E-600 30 miles away today.

Wasn't able to test it much as the battery was flat, but it looks like it's new and came fully boxed and with the Oly Warranty document :).
Looking at the image count it may even have only taken 85 shutter actuations.
And yes, I bought it... *chr

Got it home and charged the battery and everything I can test at night seems to be working fine, but need to test it out in daylight.

Now I need to get myself an HLD-5 grip, some extra batteries and a remote release...