PDA

View Full Version : HELP! E-5 AF system fine-tuning

Ray Shotter
15th December 2010, 11:02 PM
I read in the Olympus E-5 test published in Amateur Photographer (dated 18 December 2010) that "The E-5 also allows fine-tuning of the AF system for individual lenses and a total of 20 corrections can be stored in the camera." Has anyone who owns an E-5 tried to use this feature yet ? If so what is involved ?

Having owned my E-3 for the past three years and still discovering some of the many features built into the E-3 - I wondered whether this AF fine-tuning feature is built into the E-3. I can't find any mention of it in the manual nor in the menus. However, I would very grateful if anyone can tell me whether or not this feature is built into any of the E-System cameras other than the E-5.

Ray.

Garrie
15th December 2010, 11:04 PM
Hi,

Its not built into the E3 im afraid.

The E30 can do it, not sure if the 620 can also. I'm sure someone will be along soon to confirm.

Wreckdiver
15th December 2010, 11:07 PM
The E-30 has this facility IIRC so would have thought the E-5 would have too.

Steve

OlyPaul
15th December 2010, 11:08 PM
Hi,

Its not built into the E3 im afraid.

The E30 can do it, not sure if the 620 can also. I'm sure someone will be along soon to confirm.

Yes this can also be done with the E-620.:)

Ray Shotter
15th December 2010, 11:27 PM
Garrie, Wreckdiver and OlyPaul,

Thanks for the prompt replies and the useful information. I now have a problem - do I buy an E-30 or an E-620 to supplement my E-3 to gain this feature which I would like to have - or do I replace my E-3 with an E-5 ? Unfortunately, I calculate that the E-5 will be the more expensive option. If only the E-5 price would come down a few hundred pounds !!! Anyway thanks again for your replies.

Ray.

Ross the fiddler
16th December 2010, 12:46 AM
If you should go with an E5, E30 or E620, the adjustments are well described in this PDF
http://fourthirdsphoto.com/images/E-30_AF_FOCUS_ADJ_Instructions_EN.pdf

*chr

Makonde
16th December 2010, 11:15 AM
Why do you regard this as a deal-making feature, I wonder? The E5 manual notes:

"You can use the AF sensor to fine-adjust the focusing position to a range of 20 steps... Normally, there is no need to change this." (my bolding)

I'm one of those who fears that mucking about with this sort of thing (unless there is clearly a problem) is more likely to result in worse adjustment than better! But then I am not an under-the-bonnet tweaker, I guess.

For those thinking of getting an E-5 the manual can be downloaded here: http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/oima_cckb/E-5_Instruction_Manual_EN.pdf

Kiwi Paul
16th December 2010, 11:22 AM
You can get the E5 from Kerso for 1249 + 20 delivery, although you would need to check his latest prices.

Paul

photo_owl
16th December 2010, 04:17 PM
Garrie, Wreckdiver and OlyPaul,

Thanks for the prompt replies and the useful information. I now have a problem - do I buy an E-30 or an E-620 to supplement my E-3 to gain this feature which I would like to have - or do I replace my E-3 with an E-5 ? Unfortunately, I calculate that the E-5 will be the more expensive option. If only the E-5 price would come down a few hundred pounds !!! Anyway thanks again for your replies.

Ray.

can't see the problem -

if your E3 needs it then replacement with the E5 makes sense. If you don't need to AF fine tune it with your lenses - er ... it makes no sense, and if you do you still have the issue with your E3 :(

going further, there's no guarantee that the new body won't AF fine without adjustment - so you may get a model just to get a feature you no longer need......... *chr

Ray Shotter
16th December 2010, 06:10 PM
Ross, Keith, Paul, Photo_Owl,

Thanks for your contributions. Ross for the PDF which I have printed off to read later. Paul(Woofmix) for the Kerso price of the E-5.

Keith and Photo_Owl I have no problems with any of my Olympus lenses and, therefore am very happy to keep my E-3 since they are the lenses I use most of all. But my one non-Olympus prime lens which I have is the Panasonic Leica Summilux 25mm f/1.4. This is a magnificent lens and peforms very well in most circumstances. But I have noticed that the sharpness of the AF is not as good as the manual focus which I can achieve using live-view. My eye-sight (I wear spectacles) is not good enough to use manual focus using the optical viewfinder and I wondered if I could improve the AF sharpness with this lens using the "fine-tuning" feature available in the E-5, E-3- and E-620. I am not sure whether the AF is front focusing with this lens or back focusing since it is only a very slight softening of the image. But, knowing how sharp the image is using manual focus using live-view, then I would like to achieve the same sharpness using the AF system. Hence, the thought of buying an E-30 or E620 to use with the Panasonic Leica Summilux with the AF fine-tuning suitably adjusted. Or, more unlikely, splashing out for an E-5.

I am still considering my options but may well do nothing since I can use the lens very satisfactorily with the E-3. But I wanted to know what my options were and am very grateful for your responses.

Ray.

Ross the fiddler
16th December 2010, 11:18 PM
Ross, Keith, Paul, Photo_Owl,

Thanks for your contributions. Ross for the PDF which I have printed off to read later. Paul(Woofmix) for the Kerso price of the E-5.

Keith and Photo_Owl I have no problems with any of my Olympus lenses and, therefore am very happy to keep my E-3 since they are the lenses I use most of all. But my one non-Olympus prime lens which I have is the Panasonic Leica Summilux 25mm f/1.4. This is a magnificent lens and peforms very well in most circumstances. But I have noticed that the sharpness of the AF is not as good as the manual focus which I can achieve using live-view. My eye-sight (I wear spectacles) is not good enough to use manual focus using the optical viewfinder and I wondered if I could improve the AF sharpness with this lens using the "fine-tuning" feature available in the E-5, E-3- and E-620. I am not sure whether the AF is front focusing with this lens or back focusing since it is only a very slight softening of the image. But, knowing how sharp the image is using manual focus using live-view, then I would like to achieve the same sharpness using the AF system. Hence, the thought of buying an E-30 or E620 to use with the Panasonic Leica Summilux with the AF fine-tuning suitably adjusted. Or, more unlikely, splashing out for an E-5.

I am still considering my options but may well do nothing since I can use the lens very satisfactorily with the E-3. But I wanted to know what my options were and am very grateful for your responses.

Ray.

It's always good to know what the options are & I am watching anything to do with price & performance of the E5 even though I can't spend anything on another camera for quite some time, but it assures me for when buying more lenses for my E30 (when I can have enough cash saved up & convinced my wife I really need it ;)).

photo_owl
17th December 2010, 10:29 AM
Ray

you will have to be sure that it is a specific FF or BF issue, associated with the lens and one, or all, of the AF points on the camera, at which point you can programme an adjustment.

probably worth while working out what adjustment you would make and to which AF point on your E3, were you able to do so, as a starting point.

I will put my hands up to thinking I had an issue with my 35-100 on the 3 and looking forward to resolving it on my 30 with this feature - only to find it wasn't repeatable using a tripod for accurate consistent testing and that my 'problem' was one of technique (born of shooting sports with C-AF and frequently holding a half press whilst still recomposing or even swaying!)

I am lucky as my 30/1.4 is bang on on both bodies - but it, and the Leica, are good examples of lenses that might benefit.

snaarman
17th December 2010, 10:40 AM
I seem to recall someone has come up with a calibration method that invloves shooting images of your LCD screen. They posted some image files that you put on your screen at full size. They have mad zone plate patterns on them. If the camera has the LCD bang on focus, these zone plates alias with the pixels on the sensor and you should get all sorts of extra circles that indicate correct focus. If the focus is out, these alias patterns are muted or nonexistant.

It soulds like a scientific and convenient method to check your AF accuracy. Quite how you tweak it is another matter. Trial and error?

edit. Web link.. http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjustment.html#AF_test_image

Pete

photo_owl
17th December 2010, 12:26 PM
I seem to recall someone has come up with a calibration method that invloves shooting images of your LCD screen. They posted some image files that you put on your screen at full size. They have mad zone plate patterns on them. If the camera has the LCD bang on focus, these zone plates alias with the pixels on the sensor and you should get all sorts of extra circles that indicate correct focus. If the focus is out, these alias patterns are muted or nonexistant.

It soulds like a scientific and convenient method to check your AF accuracy. Quite how you tweak it is another matter. Trial and error?

edit. Web link.. http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjustment.html#AF_test_image

Pete

refocus direction comes from refocusing manually but the scale of the adjustment needed starts as trial and error (as ever!) but the nature of this methodology is that as long as you use the same gif on the same lcd screen the scale of the required adjustment can be guesstimated initially - fortunately the steps are quick to duplicate and the adjustments are stepped so t&e's straightforward.

Ray Shotter
17th December 2010, 02:18 PM
Ray

you will have to be sure that it is a specific FF or BF issue, associated with the lens and one, or all, of the AF points on the camera, at which point you can programme an adjustment.

probably worth while working out what adjustment you would make and to which AF point on your E3, were you able to do so, as a starting point.

I will put my hands up to thinking I had an issue with my 35-100 on the 3 and looking forward to resolving it on my 30 with this feature - only to find it wasn't repeatable using a tripod for accurate consistent testing and that my 'problem' was one of technique (born of shooting sports with C-AF and frequently holding a half press whilst still recomposing or even swaying!)

I am lucky as my 30/1.4 is bang on on both bodies - but it, and the Leica, are good examples of lenses that might benefit.

Yes - I have considered whether the problem lies with me since I tend to use single AF focus and half-press the exposure button while I compose the shot. But I have tried AF using a tripod and the remote lead and although the result is considered quite satisfactory by others who see the finished product - it is still softer than the the manual shot. My trouble is I expect the AF to be as sharp as it is when I use my Olympus lenses. Nevertheless I still think the Summilux is a superb lens.

If I am to attempt to find a solution to this feature I realise that I have to determine whether it is front or back focus. I did try to do that using a ruler at 45 degrees and concluded then that it may be slight front focus. However, the marks on the target used were not sufficiently sharp themselves to determine what degree of front focus was involved. My conclusion at the that attempt was possibly a few millimetres front focus at the most. I have not felt inclined to purchase a more sophisticated test target but would obviously do so before attempting to correct the AF for this lens on any E-system camera which I might purchase in future.

Ray.

photo_owl
17th December 2010, 02:55 PM
Ray - do try the test facilities outlined in the link Pete provided. I had no end of wonderful targets and approaches a couple of years ago (when E3 AF paranoia gripped) but this one 'rocks'.

Ray Shotter
17th December 2010, 03:26 PM
Ray - do try the test facilities outlined in the link Pete provided. I had no end of wonderful targets and approaches a couple of years ago (when E3 AF paranoia gripped) but this one 'rocks'.

I have copied the article in my "bookmarks" and may make use of it eventually.

Ray.

Kiwi Paul
17th December 2010, 03:39 PM
I'll try it out too.

Paul