PDA

View Full Version : 20m or 17mm?

Paulpp
15th December 2010, 08:17 PM
Considering buying one of these. I appreciate the different lower f/no's, but wonder whether there is a difference in image quality - is one sharper, etc?
Does anyone have any experience?

Who's_E
15th December 2010, 10:59 PM
I have no experience DP Review have tested both with their lens testing gadget so you could look there first. It seems to be comprehensive but I have never taken the time to fully understand it.

Panasonic:
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/panasonic_20_1p7_o20/page3.asp

Olympus:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusEP1/page23.asp

Hope this helps.

Nick

Paulpp
16th December 2010, 07:44 AM
Interesting. Based on the conclusion it seems that the Panasonic 20mm is the way to go.

Ian
16th December 2010, 08:40 AM
Indeed, the 17mm m.Zuiko is absolutely tiny, but the image quality is not up to the standards we have come to expect from Olympus. The Panasonic 20mm is quite large, especially compared to the 17mm, but produces better quality images and has the added advantage of being quite fast.

Ian

Paulpp
16th December 2010, 09:10 AM
Thanks Ian - that confirms my impression. The other alternative would be the Panasonic 14mm, but the reviews I have seen put it in 3rd place out of the three.

Bikie John
16th December 2010, 09:14 AM
I have the Panasonic 20mm and it is an absolute beauty. The focal length happens to suit my style for a "normal" lens anyway, the image quality is superb and the f/1.7 comes in handy. On the Panny GF-1 body it will just about fit into a jacket pocket.

I haven't tried the Oly 17mm for comparison (although I did pick up a cheap used Oly 14-42 to put on the Panny and it seems to work OK).

Cheers ... John

StephenL
16th December 2010, 09:16 AM
I have both (at the moment). Whilst I appreciate the wider view of the 17mm, I always end up using the 20mm, partly because of the wider maximum aperture. The 17mm is smaller, and contrary to many reports I don't think it is any worse built. I've not noticed much quality difference between the two, but then again, I haven't done any testing to check this. However, at the end of the day, the 20mm Panasonic is the way I would go if I were buying again. The image quality really is superb.

(PS the 17mm is still for sale if anyone's interested?)