PDA

View Full Version : E-5 Review in this week's AP

Adagio
11th December 2010, 05:24 PM
Have not read the detail yet but conclusion seems by and large fair and favourable

Ian
11th December 2010, 06:04 PM
Hm, my AP hasn't arrived yet!

ian

Makonde
13th December 2010, 01:53 PM
So, what does it say?....

Ian
13th December 2010, 03:30 PM
I have it here - 84% final score, which is very respectable. I must admit I allowed myself a wry smile when I saw the 26/30 rating for noise, resolution, and sensitivity, which is almost 9/10 :). There was also a 9/10 for colour and white balance, 9/10 for the viewfinder, LCD, and video, and 9/10 for AF, and 8/10 for everything else, except for dynamic range, which got 7/10. Mat Gallagher (not Richard Sibley - my mistake) concludes that the E-5 is still a flagship product to be proud of.

Ian

JackBenedict
13th December 2010, 04:01 PM
And I still cannot afford it !

OlyPaul
13th December 2010, 04:05 PM
I have it here - 84% final score, which is very respectable. I must admit I allowed myself a wry smile when I saw the 26/30 rating for noise, resolution, and sensitivity, which is almost 9/10 :). There was also a 9/10 for colour and white balance, 9/10 for the viewfinder, LCD, and video, and 9/10 for AF, and 8/10 for everything else, except for dynamic range, which got 7/10. Mat Gallagher (not Richard Sibley - my mistake) concludes that the E-5 is still a flagship product to be proud of.

Ian

That's great news Ian and suprising for AP.:D

I guess at the moment that it is a flagship in a fourthirds fleet of one then, sorry Ian I could not resist.;)

emirpprime
13th December 2010, 04:28 PM
...I allowed myself a wry smile when I saw the 26/30 rating for noise, resolution, and sensitivity, which is almost 9/10 :)...

I wonder how many people realise this! I would say a lot of people will view 26/30 as a much worse score than 8/10.. Still, we've always known the truth ;)

yorky
13th December 2010, 06:23 PM
Nay Jack, the A.Ps not that expensive?

Seonnaidh
13th December 2010, 06:24 PM
Yorky, You do make me smile!

JackBenedict
13th December 2010, 07:02 PM

Your right Yorky. And I still wouldn't pay ther cover price on the AP either.
There are alot of other mags with a lot more appeal.

Makonde
13th December 2010, 08:27 PM
I have it here - 84% final score, which is very respectable.
Ian

I see that AP gave the Nikon D7000 a similar 85% overall.... and it's also interesting to look at their individual scores for the D3S..... they gave the Canon EOS 5D Mk II just 81%

Not that these ratings are the be-all and end-all: but the E-5 is clearly doing very well against the leaders on IQ and AF......and then there are the lenses.....

Such a shame Oly shot themselves in the foot on the marketing ....

yorky
13th December 2010, 08:30 PM
Yes they same to have developed the knack of putting themselves down. Such a shame with as fine a range of products as they manufacter

Zuiko
14th December 2010, 10:39 AM
That's great news Ian and suprising for AP.:D

I guess at the moment that it is a flagship in a fourthirds fleet of one then, sorry Ian I could not resist.;)

Sounds almost like an aircraft carrier with no planes to put on it. Now, where have I heard that before? :rolleyes:

Nick Temple-Fry
14th December 2010, 10:53 AM
Sounds almost like an aircraft carrier with no planes to put on it. Now, where have I heard that before? :rolleyes:

No, we've got excellent aircraft that fit (the lenses) and the Special Boat Service (the Pens), alas it's the rest of the cast we lack.

One thing about Olympus, they never do anything by halves, couple of years back there were cameras aimed at every segment of the market, a plethora of 4xx/5xx/6xx models. Can't help but wonder though just how much work it would be to make/market a 630 with the improvements in image processing/alias filter from the E-3.

Still Morgan don't make that many people carriers and Rolls Royce are not that well known for their town hatchbacks. Maybe being good at something counts.

Nick

Ross the fiddler
14th December 2010, 10:57 AM

It would be here in Australia. :rolleyes: :D

Ross the fiddler
14th December 2010, 11:01 AM
No, we've got excellent aircraft that fit (the lenses) and the Special Boat Service (the Pens), alas it's the rest of the cast we lack.

One thing about Olympus, they never do anything by halves, couple of years back there were cameras aimed at every segment of the market, a plethora of 4xx/5xx/6xx models. Can't help but wonder though just how much work it would be to make/market a 630 with the improvements in image processing/alias filter from the E-3.

Still Morgan don't make that many people carriers and Rolls Royce are not that well known for their town hatchbacks. Maybe being good at something counts.

Nick

And aircraft jet engines.

Ross the fiddler
14th December 2010, 11:33 AM
I would like to see a bit more advertising of the E5. There seems to be almost nothing out there with one magazine showing it as extreme (British mag). There are obviously others but take longer to get to our shops. Olympus Australia even dropped the NEW seal on its home page about a month ago. I hope they can boost production to keep up with a seemingly stronger demand for it & hopefully realise, not everybody is ready to go to a mirrorless camera yet, nor can they stretch the budget for the E5. I'm sure an E630 would sell with later specs (Truepic V+) & video. Maybe there is something around the corner to surprise (or delight) us.

Greytop
20th December 2010, 08:34 PM
I read the review and having now digested it (no not eaten it :D, read though a few times more ;)) it really is quite a positive piece. I'm sure whether I'm looking forward to the impending Dpr review or not, it will certainly be interesting with Pentax having just received a big pat on the back for the K-5, justly so I suspect too.
I wonder whether there are a few ounces of sympathy creeping out of the woodwork with these reviewers where Olympus and the E-5 is concerned, perhaps they are a little sad that Olympus are considering partially stepping out of the D-SLR frame (at least at the entry level). Having said that I really do believe that it deserves the positive reviews it is getting.

emirpprime
20th December 2010, 08:54 PM
This seems like a bone of contention with at least one shop. On Sunday I was in a LCE branch that has always been a big Oly supporter chatting to the staff. He said they feel really let down with the level of advertising. They like the camera, but are selling barely any. They are always hosting demo days, and half of the shop frontage is 4/3 gear - but without Oly putting in some effort in it is a lost cause. Sales are apparently very very slow while the E-3 flew of the shelves, and so is all the m4/3 stuff. Apparently he heard from the rep that Oly nearly didn't launch it which is why there isn't much push behind it.

Not the way to sell a camera - but hopefully with a few positive reviews they will get a boost.

Jim Ford
20th December 2010, 10:34 PM
This seems like a bone of contention with at least one shop. On Sunday I was in a LCE branch that has always been a big Oly supporter chatting to the staff. He said they feel really let down with the level of advertising. They like the camera, but are selling barely any.

SRS told me last week that they are selling really well!

Jim

Ross the fiddler
21st December 2010, 12:21 AM
I read the review and having now digested it (no not eaten it :D, read though a few times more ;)) it really is quite a positive piece. I'm (not?) sure whether I'm looking forward to the impending Dpr review or not, it will certainly be interesting with Pentax having just received a big pat on the back for the K-5, justly so I suspect too.
I wonder whether there are a few ounces of sympathy creeping out of the woodwork with these reviewers where Olympus and the E-5 is concerned, perhaps they are a little sad that Olympus are considering partially stepping out of the D-SLR frame (at least at the entry level). Having said that I really do believe that it deserves the positive reviews it is getting.

I certainly hope there is more positive reviews to come & I hope you don't get indigestion when DPReview does theirs :D. I am disappointed there isn't more advertising, but then Olympus might not want to shout about the E5 (just letting the Oly users find it & buy) maybe because they have something more up their sleeves for next year. If they have a similar (or better) spec micro 4/3s coming soon, then I guess they want to really show that off to the world instead. I'm just speculating here.