PDA

View Full Version : Level indicator

Makonde
10th December 2010, 01:03 PM
Now that I have a camera with a level indicator (which is not easy to find on the menu...) I'd like to know from you E-30 owners how often you actually use it for real, and in what circumstances?

It seems on first acquaintance with the feature that for most shooting hand-held it is more of an incovenience to have the level gauge on than off. And that was the camera default. Hence my question.

andym
10th December 2010, 01:25 PM
I tend to agree with you,not to keen the way you cannot see the exposure/f number in the viewfinder when the level reading is on.

What I've done is assign it to the DOF button as a function as I dont really use the DOF indicator very often if at all.
Still find I dont use the level meter much but it's there if i neeed it.

OlyPaul
10th December 2010, 02:08 PM
I tend to agree with you,not to keen the way you cannot see the exposure/f number in the viewfinder when the level reading is on.

Not sure what you mean by that Andy .

The level indicator does not appear until after you lock exposure/focus (half depress the shutter button) which by definition means you have finished setting the exposure (after all you have locked them) and those figures are no longer needed. :)

andym
10th December 2010, 02:15 PM
Not sure what you mean by that Andy .

The level indicator does not appear until after you lock exposure/focus (half depress the shutter button) which by definition means you have finished setting the exposure (after all you have locked them) and those figures are no longer needed. :)

I suppose on second thoughts your right,I've just restested it and the shooting info is there for about 2 seconds before the level indicator comes up.Just have to be a bit more observant.:o

Still happy having it a fuction though.

I do feel it could have been implemented a bit better as its only making use of the exposure compensation indicator I don't see why the shooting info has to go out.

shenstone
10th December 2010, 02:22 PM
I guess I use it about 1% of the time and in many of those situations it's just a guide

The problem is that with many shots the "obvious" horizontal .. isn't

Regards
Andy

Ian
10th December 2010, 02:47 PM
I find it most useful in Live View mode. I do find that it has to be calibrated though.

Ian

Makonde
10th December 2010, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the replies, all. One of several things for me to play with & get used to.