PDA

View Full Version : Its not that I'm a skinflint, but............

Homer Simpson
9th December 2010, 07:28 PM
What bits & pieces do you folks have in your bags that cost next to nothing.
I'll start the ball rolling:

Shower caps (from hotels) as a disposable camera weather protection.

A cheap survival foil blanket - a makeshift reflector or dry sheet to sit /lie on.

I'm currently playing ( looking for a nice foam) with the screwcap pots that Heinz beans now come in. They appear to be a good size to use to carry spare lenses in a rucksack.

A g-cramp with a screw thread brazed on it to attach my ball head

Who's_E
9th December 2010, 10:21 PM
A cleaning cloth that came with a Sony Ericsson phone.

Nick

Ross the fiddler
10th December 2010, 12:55 PM
A $6 IR remote. Why pay more?

andym
10th December 2010, 01:28 PM
Bit old card with tin foil on it as a reflector.

Dogcow
10th December 2010, 01:42 PM
A plumb-bob as an 'emergency panorama head' :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9d/Plumb_bob.jpg/120px-Plumb_bob.jpg

BobS
10th December 2010, 02:17 PM
A 1p coin to act as a screwdriver to loosen or tighten I can't remember what now!

shenstone
10th December 2010, 03:06 PM
Having just spent nearly 24 hours travelling back from Strasbourg I can confirm I have a full compliment of KLM free T Shirt, socks, toothbrush, hairbrush, razor etc. etc.

Regards
Andy

Who's_E
10th December 2010, 03:57 PM
A 1p coin to act as a screwdriver to loosen or tighten I can't remember what now!

I splashed out with a 2p for the extra leverage :)

I use it on the tripod screw.

Nick

BobS
10th December 2010, 04:00 PM
I splashed out with a 2p for the extra leverage :)

I use it on the tripod screw.

Nick

Oh you spendthrift. 2p wouldn't fit, it was too thick!

stevednp3
10th December 2010, 05:56 PM
must be a coin thing then with photographers as I too have a 10p coin for my gorillapod in my bag :D

Another cheap useful thing I have is 1.99 pen touch (not much bigger than a AA battery and uses a single AAA battey), useful for looking in your bag when its dark ;)

BobS
10th December 2010, 06:02 PM
must be a coin thing then with photographers as I too have a 10p coin for my gorillapod in my bag :D

Another cheap useful thing I have is 1.99 pen touch (not much bigger than a AA battery and uses a single AAA battey), useful for looking in your bag when its dark ;)

Thanks Steve*chr You've reminded me why I carry a coin in my bag!

MartinF
10th December 2010, 08:45 PM
1. Vegetable bags from Sainsbury's as weather protection - the handles just fit round the tripod quick release with the 70-300 fitted so the bag doesn't blow off and the air-holes allow a bit of ventilation without getting too much wet in.
2. An old Agfacolor slide box to hold memory cards, batteries and Nurofens. Used them to carry 35mm casettes in the old (film) days, too.
3. A few sheets of soft toilet tissue - ideal for drying things off that get wet - and vital in an emergency!
4. A couple of sealable plastic bags that originally had electronic bits and pieces in - for caps and covers that fall off and taking odd samples of leaf and other things for identification afterwards.

Janet
10th December 2010, 09:00 PM
Sainsbury's bags are simply the best!

Coins get a vote from me for my Gorillapod and tripod...easier than carrying a screwdriver!

Toilet roll...you never think you'll need it, but it has a multitude of uses...

Janet

andym
10th December 2010, 10:35 PM
1. Vegetable bags from Sainsbury's as weather protection -.

Grubby knee protection,even with the swivel screen;).