PDA

View Full Version : Focussing Rail?

Jim Ford
10th March 2008, 11:33 AM
Anyone have a recommendation for a focussing rail, able to support an E3?

Are the Chinese ones on Ebay any good?

Jim

CaptainD
10th March 2008, 11:48 AM
Dear Jim,

I have bought one of the cheap Ebay ones, it impressed my dad so much he sold his Manfrotto example on Ebay and bought one! It is very solidly built, in places you can see that it does not cost a fortune but do not let this worry you.

Please just ask if you want any more specific info

Chris

Jim Ford
10th March 2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks Chris, sounds good!

Could you post an Ebay link to the sort you've got, please?

Jim

CaptainD
10th March 2008, 03:15 PM
Dear Jim,

I have just had a look on Ebay this seems to be the best deal on the type of rail I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Macro-Shot-Focusing-4-way-Rail-for-Canon-Nikon-Olympus_W0QQitemZ220210587926QQihZ012QQcategoryZ30 070QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There are many similar ones, but this seems to be the cheapest deal today.

Cheers

Chris

sapper
10th March 2008, 03:24 PM
Good grief, tHAT is cheap!!
Dave.

Jim Ford
10th March 2008, 03:55 PM
I have just had a look on Ebay this seems to be the best deal on the type of rail I bought.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Macro-Shot-Focusing-4-way-Rail-for-Canon-Nikon-Olympus_W0QQitemZ220210587926QQihZ012QQcategoryZ30 070QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks Chris - that's the sort I've seen a lot of and wondered about!

Thanks also for doing the research on Ebay. As 'sapper' says, it's cheap. The postage is reasonable too, unlike a lot of Chinese stuff.

I'm going to order one tonight.

Jim

CaptainD
10th March 2008, 04:06 PM
Jim,

I am confident you will be pleased with the focusing rail, especially as it is the sort of thing that we don't use everyday. It is very solidly built and I will be most interested in your thoughts when it arrives.

Cheers

Chris

HughofBardfield
10th March 2008, 05:35 PM
I just bought one of those from the same dealer on a recommendation from someone on DP Review. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but very impressed with the build quality. Nice solid item, and looks well machined/finished. Ordered on Feb 19, arrived March 3 - which isn't bad from China. The only thing I would say is that the packaging was a bit flimsy (which I mentioned in my feedback to them) - but it arrived safe and well.

sapper
10th March 2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks Chris - that's the sort I've seen a lot of and wondered about!

Thanks also for doing the research on Ebay. As 'sapper' says, it's cheap. The postage is reasonable too, unlike a lot of Chinese stuff.

I'm going to order one tonight.

Jim

Must say I got a Carbon Fiber tripod from China and it was very good value, I only got rid of it because I needed something that would go lower.
Dave.

Jim Ford
26th March 2008, 01:16 PM
Received my focussing rail today. It's quite well made and very solid. I look forward to using it.

Jim

Melaka
26th March 2008, 07:08 PM
I bought a similar focussing rail and am well pleased with it.

mike_j
27th March 2008, 09:12 PM
They must be doing a roaring trade - I got mine yesterday as well. It all looks so wonderfully complicated it warms my little techie heart

[url=http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/4246]http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/macro_rack.jpg

j.baker
27th March 2008, 09:21 PM
Here is a stupid question, but what do you use the rail for?

mike_j
28th March 2008, 09:10 AM
In some macro work it is often easier to frame and focus by moving the whole camera assembly. The rack has smooth adjustment forwards and sideways. In combination with live view and a cable release macro becomes a whole lot easier. Not much use for butterflies though - they tend to fly away when they see that lot coming! :rolleyes:

OlyFlyer
9th April 2008, 07:04 AM
I just want to say I received mine yesterday. It got tested out immediately since at the same time my 4/3 - 52mm lens reverser also arrived, so I reversed the the Nikkor 50/1.4 I have, installed it on the camera and started to shoot macro. I must say manual focusing is definitely easier than before. The only issue is that I have to open the aperture for focusing and than manually stop down before taking the picture. Using the Olympus bellows with OM lenses that is not necessary, since it can focus wide open even reversed and stop down using the wire trigger before pressing the camera shutter release button. This is possible even with a reversed OM lens.

Anyway, my new focusing rail is really very useful and it seems to be good quality. It can be made simpler and lighter since the two parts can be separated and in that case only forward / reverse, no sideways movement is possible. That way it just takes up a very small space in the bag, making it possible to carry it even for excursions.

HughofBardfield
9th April 2008, 12:40 PM
It can be made simpler and lighter since the two parts can be separated and in that case only forward / reverse, no sideways movement is possible. That way it just takes up a very small space in the bag, making it possible to carry it even for excursions.

Good idea! I hadn't thought of that. Did you simply swap the L/R rail with the F/B one? I presume you just remove the "stop" plates and take it from there?

OlyFlyer
9th April 2008, 09:21 PM
Good idea! I hadn't thought of that. Did you simply swap the L/R rail with the F/B one? I presume you just remove the "stop" plates and take it from there?No, there is a 1/4 " screw at the bottom. If you unscrew that you can separate them and just use the one you prefer.