PDA

View Full Version : E-5 RAW Images in Lightroom 3.3

graham_jester
8th December 2010, 06:51 PM
Now that it's possible to process E-5 RAW images in Lightroom 3.3, I'm curious to hear of any other E-5 users' experiences in this respect.
I have experimented on a couple of images and find that, unlike processed RAW images from previous Olympus cameras, I cannot now produce an image that is better, or even as good as the (minimally processed) original JPEG!
The JPEG version just seems brighter, smoother, more detailed and overall more punchy.
I think this is good news............ even though, for some reason (possibly to do with having spent so many years carrying out RAW processing) it produces a somewhat disturbing feeling!
So it seems Olympus's TruePic V+ processor, together with 'Fine Detail Processing' and Zuiko Lenses is truly setting a new standard for Four Thirds DSLRs.
Has anyone else had similar positive experiences with their E-5?
Regards
Graham

theMusicMan
8th December 2010, 06:58 PM
What have you done in LR to try to emulate the E-5's jpg rendering though, Graham...?

Bikie John
8th December 2010, 07:25 PM
I've not had time to give it a serious go yet, so I'll be interested to hear others' experiences.

There are 2 main reasons that I go to raw - handling wide dynamic range and sorting out strange colour balance. If the E-5's JPEGs are good enough to handle these it will certainly make for simpler workflow and save disk space.

Ciao ... John

graham_jester
8th December 2010, 10:06 PM
Hi
Thanks for the response and the question.
In actual fact I've done nothing to try and emulate the the E-5's JPEG rendering.........I don't think I'd actually know how!
I've been using Lightroom for about 12 months (previously I used Photoshop CS3 + ACR), together with images from my E-30.
So all I've done now, with the E-5, is the same as I did with the E-30 and that is to use the Develop module of LR3 to process both the JPEG and RAW images.
However, what I've noted is that, whereas with the E-30 the RAW image looked the best, now with the E-5, the JPEG looks the best!
I look forward to seeing other E-5 users posting their findings on this type of comparison.
Regards
Graham

theMusicMan
8th December 2010, 10:39 PM
Hi Graham

The thing is, this is what Lightroom does - it allows you to 'develop' a RAW file into how you want it to look. The jpg file you see on the screen of your E-5 is simply a rendered RAW file - but it's rendered as a jpg in-camera i.e. within the E-5.

Many of the settings in your camera, such as contrast, sharpness, wb, etc are not applied to RAW images, only to the rendered jpg you see on the screen and of course, if you choose jpg as the image format - to the final image you get out of the camera as well. The camera 'processes' the RAW file.

When you import a RAW into LR, you then 'process' the file with LR itself to get the look you need. Most RAW files won't look anything like the rendered jpg file you see - this is where you need to apply whatever settings you choose for the effect you desire.

graham_jester
8th December 2010, 10:56 PM
Hi John
Thanks for your feedback. I must confess that, as a Lightroom novice, you may be responding at a higher level than I'm at!
All I was trying to communicate was the fact that, having used LR3 to process E-30 and E-5 images, I'd noticed that there had been something of a 'role reversal', whereby an E-30 RAW image, post processing, delivered a better image than the equivalent JPEG, now, with the E-5, the opposite seems to be the case.
Regards
Graham

Makonde
9th December 2010, 02:14 AM
As I've posted in other threads, I too found it hard to beat the E5's processor in familiar ACR/Photoshop CS5 yesterday, when I was experimenting with photos taken in natural daylight.

However, tonight I've been processing pix taken in dark conditions (village Xmas fair) , no flash, ISO 1600 mostly. And here I find that I can sometimes do a better job with the RAWs than the Truepic engine .

Here's one: f5 1/40 ISO 1600 12-60mm @ 19mm taken through the glass of the shop window tonight. PP from RAW including use of NoiseNinja (instead of the ACR sliders for noise reduction) produced this:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5244/5244787539_e628a6975f_b.jpg
which I think was marginally better than the out of camera JPEG

Ian
9th December 2010, 09:44 AM
And if you want to adjust the white balance, especially under artificial light, there is much better flexibility with RAW than JPEG because you can still adjust the base colour channels before they are mixed to create the actual colour in the pixels of a JPEG.

Ian

graham_jester
9th December 2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks Ian.
Perhaps what it means for E-5 usage is to shoot LSF+RAW; generally using the LSF JPEG, but having the RAW available for the more difficult shots (eg. WB issues, low light, high ISO, etc.).
However, given the camera's greater capability, might it mean that a larger proportion of images will be available directly from the JPEGs, compared to what has been the case in the past?
Regards
Graham

Bikie John
9th December 2010, 11:05 AM
Graham:

Perhaps what it means for E-5 usage is to shoot LSF+RAW; generally using the LSF JPEG, but having the RAW available for the more difficult shots (eg. WB issues, low light, high ISO, etc.).

That's pretty much what I've been doing ever since discovering that E-1 raw files sometimes yielded more detail than JPEGs. Going off-brand here, I do the same with the little Panasonic GF-1. The JPEGs it produces are lovely, good enough that I almost never need to touch the raw files. That may partly be because I don't use it for such demanding work though.

Ciao ... John

Makonde
9th December 2010, 11:15 AM
Another aspect is what you're going to go on to do with the photos. Given that there is loss through compression every time you save/resave a jpeg, you may want to start with (and keep) a tiff produced from the RAW.

The challenge with the E-5 with photos taken in 'normal circumstances' is to get a tiff out of your processing that is as good-looking, smooth and detailed as the one the Truepic V engine produces*, it would seem!

* Edit - in jpeg, obviously

OlyPaul
9th December 2010, 12:20 PM
I have to admit I'd love a E-5 raw file to compare in LR3 and the latest Capture One 6 as there as been a improvement in how CO6 handles my E-30 files compared to version 5, but it will have to wait till I can afford one :)