PDA

View Full Version : Who might be up for a "2011 - photo a day" challenge...?

theMusicMan
8th December 2010, 10:59 AM
Morning all

I see Ian has started a superb challenge for himself, which is that of posting a new photo every day. The images he is posting are fabulous.

With this in mind, I got thinking that I should canvas opinion on here to establish if any members would be interesting in attempting a '2011 - photo a day" challenge...?

I am sure such an undertaking is a huge task, and might not be possible thus we could define a clear set of guidelines that set the framework for the challenge.

How about I start this off by saying I would be interesting in doing a photo a day throughout 2011, by posting a new, unpblished photo every day - but of photos I might have not specifically taken that day. So, I would say that guideline 1 should be the photos are relatively new, and must be taken from say November/December 2010. The reason I suggest this is that there might be photos we have taken or will take over the festive period that could be used in the first few days. Things will level out, and most people will then start publishing photos taken that day. So, the aim I guess is to have a photo published that would have been taken that day, but I appreciate that due to life - this is not always possible.

What are your thoughts on this... how do you feel we could do something that could (1) inspire us to take more photos, and (2) inspire others to take more photos by looking at what we post during our daily photo challenge...?

Opinions on a postcard please...

snaarman
8th December 2010, 11:20 AM
Hmm. Quite an interesting prospect. I would suggest that the most successful "365" thread might involve creating a good picture every day, together with something interesting and engaging to write about it. (Starts to sound a bit like a photoblog..)

I discovered that finding a good picture each day is a challenge, particularly if you are at work. My "Village" threads did not quite make it to "365" status with a picture per day, so a bit of latitude on the photo date would be a great help.

I've managed a blog a day for over a month so far, but only by raiding my back catalogue of slide images :)

On a prctical level, how would this work? A single thread that everyone can "reply" to with their contribution for today??

Pete

theMusicMan
8th December 2010, 11:31 AM
Hi Pete

Not sure on the how this would work question. I guess we could instate the blog feature on here, or perhaps create a new section/area for anyone doing the 365 - with a single thread per participant, who makes a new post for each image.

On the image a day issue: we could have a guideline that suggests we post an image 'for' each day but that they don't necessarily have to be posted on the day. So, you could be out for a weekend and manage to capture 8 or 9 shots that could be used. That might be your quota for the week sorted there.

The aim of my suggestion is to get people actually using their gear and creating new images - either inside or outside.

I am beginning to think I am up for it.

snaarman
8th December 2010, 11:36 AM
The aim of my suggestion is to get people actually using their gear and creating new images - either inside or outside.

Yes, I think it would get more pictures taken. Having a plan or a challenge certainly concentrates my mind.

Could it be done as a tweaked Gallery thing somehow, instead of a set of threads?? Don't know how forum software works.. but (say) a set of yesterday/today thumbnails to pique the interest of the passing browser???

{Thinking out loud mode off}

Pete

Sharon
8th December 2010, 12:07 PM
I'm not sure that I have enough time to do a 365. Though I was considering doing one a week next year.

StephenL
8th December 2010, 12:48 PM
It might help in getting some folks pictures commented on. Speaking for myself, I find I rarely get more than 2 comments for each photo I post - often nil, and I know I'm not alone (but try to address that myself by commenting, so I'm as guilty!)

Xpres
8th December 2010, 01:40 PM
This year's challenge for me was "no alcohol", which I've nearly completed, so I'd be up for a nice easy one like a picture a day. ;)
If one's going to do it, though, I think it should be snaps taken on the day they're posted. The tricky bit for me is that I use more than one camera - one day might be film, another the 5D, another the EP1. So the challenge would be to take the EP1 everywhere. Or would 'dupes' of slides be OK?

Crippledsandwich
8th December 2010, 04:34 PM
I think its a great idea John, I started one on TP last January. However life got in the way and i was out for 7 weeks through ill health. So being able to take a few photos, at say the weekend and then use them for the coming week really appeals.

I found that some times it was'nt always practical to take my DSLR with me. I found that i took a fair few with my compact. Would this be a consideration for this challenge?

theMusicMan
8th December 2010, 05:05 PM
I think its a great idea John, I started one on TP last January. However life got in the way and i was out for 7 weeks through ill health. So being able to take a few photos, at say the weekend and then use them for the coming week really appeals.

I found that some times it was'nt always practical to take my DSLR with me. I found that i took a fair few with my compact. Would this be a consideration for this challenge?Absolutely Chris. If there is a way to take regular photos, that you can use in your one-a-day, then that's great.

Looks as though we're possibly getting somewhere with this. Keep the questions coming folks.

crimbo
8th December 2010, 06:13 PM
Sounds a great idea...
How about a thread per day...
You can always publish retrospectively in the particular days thread - cos if you are like me you may take the image but not always have time to post...

theMusicMan
8th December 2010, 06:48 PM
Sounds a great idea...
How about a thread per day...
You can always publish retrospectively in the particular days thread - cos if you are like me you may take the image but not always have time to post...
Yep Chris, this is exactly what I was thinking.

Seonnaidh
8th December 2010, 07:15 PM
I could quite possibly be up for that. I like a challenge.*yes

yorky
8th December 2010, 07:58 PM
How about trying one photo per week for a start and see how that goes?

David Gethin
8th December 2010, 08:43 PM
Here is a community 365 that we are doing in Faversham, Kent (also this year there will be similar projects running in Canterbury and Sheppey) albeit to select a photograph for every day taken on that day does necessitate that it is retrospective:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11886

kelvinator
8th December 2010, 09:57 PM
I like the idea of doing a photo a day, particularly as it should help me 'open my eyes' more when I'm out and about. I doubt I will last long and will probably fall away fairly early on, but I will definately have a crack at it.

Kelvin

theMusicMan
8th December 2010, 10:43 PM
How about trying one photo per week for a start and see how that goes?I see no reason why you can't do a photo a week if that's what you are able to do, but I'd prefer to set this as a daily challenge to start with. I'd prefer to see if it works that way around i.e. daily then if not, weekly; rather than the other way around.

I like the idea of doing a photo a day, particularly as it should help me 'open my eyes' more when I'm out and about. I doubt I will last long and will probably fall away fairly early on, but I will definately have a crack at it.

Kelvin
I am sure many people who may start this would fall away... myself possibly too... but if we do get this going, I'll be trying to get as many people staying as part of the challenge as possible.

Ellie
8th December 2010, 11:04 PM
Phew, the blog site I use is based round the picture a day idea, and it's awfully difficult to keep up to date, so I probably wont join in although I'll certainly enjoy looking at all your pictures. Good luck with it *chr

davidsa
8th December 2010, 11:26 PM
A photo a week, with a rule that shots taken in the preceding - say - two weeks would be acceptable, might be more realistic.

David

Zuiko
9th December 2010, 12:31 AM
I see no reason why we shouldn't run both Picture a Day and Picture a Week to cater for all requirements and aspirations. I'm undecided about participating myself. I don't want to place myself under pressure and end up producing lots of boring, repetitive, sub-standard pictures just to fullfil my daily quota (OK I know I do that already but I mean even more so). On the other hand it could offer me an incentive to get out more and take more photographs. I'll think about it.:)

kendo
9th December 2010, 12:55 AM
Yep 'One a Day' is a challenge that would concentrate my mind in the year before I retire. Could be a substantial record :D of boring *zzz joy :) the new :eek: etc

Zuiko
9th December 2010, 02:17 AM
Yep 'One a Day' is a challenge that would concentrate my mind in the year before I retire. Could be a substantial record :D of boring *zzz joy :) the new :eek: etc

Hi Kendo, and welcome to the forum! :)

OlyPaul
9th December 2010, 09:36 AM
I'm sure I could give it a go whatever format is chosen, that's barring ill health of course.:)

The Saint
9th December 2010, 11:10 AM
We ran a photo a day project on the Olympus Safari Group last year and it was definately a difficult challenge. The target was to take 1 photo per day for 90 days. Very few were able to keep up with his due to work and personal commitments.

The option of a pic-a-day and a pic-a-week is good as it will allow people with different commitment levels to take part.

Personally I would suggest that the images would need to be taken in the proceding week to the submission, this will allow time to get back to your computer, pp and upload. It really depends what you are trying to achieve from the challenge as to whether you allow older pictures, but my personal view is if you allow older images to be submitted you could do the same in other areas of the forum and this challenge should really be about getting you using your camera more and perfecting your skills.

An appropraite way of displaying and commenting of the images is necessary. Again there is two possible routes I can see, either you either follow a single person or all the submissions for the day/week are grouped together. If you want to encourage people to comment the second route is probably perferable as everyone's images will get the same exposure to the group, whereas a personal based thread/blog could end up with only certain "popular" people being followed.

It would also be good if the publisher of the images can confirm what they want to gain from the challenge. Do they want feedback or purely displaying the images for everyones pleasure and to provide inspiration.

This could also be a good opportunity to get a few more meets arranged or work on a common subject (I'm aways interested in other people interpretation of a subject) bit like the challenges.

Anyway they are my current thoughts.

I doubt I could keep up with a pic-a-day, but would definately try to do the pic-a-week as I don't get out as much with my camera as I would like and this would definately give me a reason.

Simon

AlistairJ
22nd December 2010, 08:52 PM
I participated in the smugmug daily photo community for a while. Its hard work, and if you are like me you often had to post images you are really not happy with, or miss days, or make other forms of compromises. I was able to keep with it for a few months then had to take a break.

Can I suggest you make the rules quite flexible, so that everyone can follow their own scheme, that they find acceptable and possible to keep up with? The more informal the better.

Count me in *chr I would try to average a picture a day, either taken that day or very recently, or alternatively some fresh post-processing work on an old image.

ChrisG
23rd December 2010, 02:01 PM
I managed 72 days on a FlickR group including the classic bedside alarm clock showing 23:59 .... most people did at some stage. Bit of a personal guilt thing when I gave up.

Certainly makes you think and take a camera wherever you go so thats a good thing.

I've got another project from mid February, building a Caterham car kit, which I intend to photograph as it progresses ... you might get a few car building pics I'm afraid!

Just might be up for it again.

Chris