PDA

View Full Version : Should I wait until Xmas day to open my E5?

Kiwi Paul
7th December 2010, 08:30 PM
It's due this week sometime but since it might be the only thing I get this Xmas (oooooooh ;-) should I just wrap in Xmas paper and leave it until the 25th or just open it up when I get it?

Paul

Zuiko
7th December 2010, 08:35 PM
To be fair, I don't think you should open it until I get mine! :p

Seonnaidh
7th December 2010, 08:37 PM
After careful thought over a nano second, open it right away!*chr

Greytop
7th December 2010, 08:41 PM
Open it, use it, otherwise you would have lost out on a good two weeks pairing it with that lovely SHG glass.
You could always wrap it up again Christmas eve and open again the next morning ;)

Zuiko
7th December 2010, 08:45 PM
After careful thought over a nano second, open it right away!*chr

Don't encourage him, I'm green with envy! *sob*livid

Go ahead and enjoy it, Paul, I look forward to seeing your pictures. :)

Maybe I'll buy yours in 3 0r 4 years when you upgrade to the E-7. :D

rsh1960
7th December 2010, 08:46 PM
It would be a shame to leave it in the box until xmas day,
remember a camera is for still life and not just for christmas

Makonde
7th December 2010, 08:47 PM
Open it right away! I managed to intercept mine before the wife could get her hands on the box and hide it for Xmas.

After all, you need plenty of time to familiarise yourself with it so you don't make a bish of those Christmas photos, don't you?...

Kiwi Paul
7th December 2010, 08:47 PM
Is it just co-incidence that Adobe waited for me to buy one before they released the LR3.3 update to support it ;-) ?

Paul

jamie allan
7th December 2010, 08:51 PM
Open it immediately you receive it - it will feel much better that way - no distractions of Christmas.

Blincodave
7th December 2010, 08:57 PM
If it is coming from the deep south ie Watford up to Aberdeen, you will be lucky if it arrives before Christmas as it could be sitting in a delivery van as I write stranded on a Scottish Motorway. These things never happened before devolution and the Scottish Parliament you know!!!

Dave

ChrisW
7th December 2010, 08:57 PM
Yes to using it now *snowflake *smileysanta *waving *crazyxmas *snowmanhat *snowman *bauble *rudolf *xmashat04 *reindeer

yorky
7th December 2010, 09:00 PM
I had mine opened within seconds

Howi
7th December 2010, 09:04 PM
Nope! send it to me unopened, I will keep it for you until Christmas, I will send you a postcard from some foreign shore, about when and where you can collect it. :D

jonesy
7th December 2010, 09:13 PM
Open it right away!
Theres this months photo challenge you could use it on :)

jamie allan
7th December 2010, 09:18 PM
If it is coming from the deep south ie Watford up to Aberdeen, you will be lucky if it arrives before Christmas as it could be sitting in a delivery van as I write stranded on a Scottish Motorway. These things never happened before devolution and the Scottish Parliament you know!!!

Dave

Dave,
Which motorway are you stranded on and why are you writing rather than digging yourself out? These things happened in 1965 (the last major Nov/early Dec spell as cold as this) for your info - though that was before motorways. I can't see why the Scottish Parliament is to blame - it's simply down to volume of traffic now. One breakdown usually causes major backlogs. The outsourcing of motorway maintenance in the UK doesn't help in my opinion.

Sharon
7th December 2010, 09:24 PM
If i've got to wait till Xmas day for mine then you should too :p

Zuiko
7th December 2010, 09:26 PM
Dave,
Which motorway are you stranded on and why are you writing rather than digging yourself out? These things happened in 1965 (the last major Nov/early Dec spell as cold as this) for your info - though that was before motorways. I can't see why the Scottish Parliament is to blame - it's simply down to volume of traffic now. One breakdown usually causes major backlogs. The outsourcing of motorway maintenance in the UK doesn't help in my opinion.

Because the pen is mightier than the shovel? :rolleyes:

There must be one thing we can blame on the Scottish Parliament, it can't all be the fault of Westminster. On the other hand.......:D

BobS
7th December 2010, 09:31 PM
If you don't open it straight away and check it for damage etc., you may be too late to put in a claim!:confused::(:eek::mad:

Kiwi Paul
7th December 2010, 09:50 PM
Good point so I should open it up, check for damage and all the bits are there, if it's all OK then pack it up again and wait for Xmas, is that what you mean? lol

Kiwi Paul
7th December 2010, 09:53 PM
Well I've just downloaded and installed LR3.3 update so I'm all E5 ready............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .... tap tap tap..... come on Mr Fed Ex!!!

Ross the fiddler
8th December 2010, 06:33 AM
Open it, use it, otherwise you would have lost out on a good two weeks pairing it with that lovely SHG glass.
You could always wrap it up again Christmas eve and open again the next morning ;)

Yes, I agree & then you can look with surprise as you unwrap this beautiful new camera (well it was).
Enjoy it Paul *chr

BobS
8th December 2010, 09:04 AM
Good point so I should open it up, check for damage and all the bits are there, if it's all OK then pack it up again and wait for Xmas, is that what you mean? lol

Well Paul, that's exactly what I mean!;) But tell me, IYH opinion, cross your heart and all that, can you do it?
Heh, heh, heh. *laugh

Nick Temple-Fry
8th December 2010, 09:13 AM
Well it would be remiss of you to give yourself a present which might, just possibly, have a fault. So as a caring giver you need to thoroughly test the present before wrapping it up on Christmas Eve.

That way you can be sure, when you get the present on Christmas day, there is no cause for disappointment.

Nick

BobS
8th December 2010, 09:24 AM
Well it would be remiss of you to give yourself a present which might, just possibly, have a fault. So as a caring giver you need to thoroughly test the present before wrapping it up on Christmas Eve.

That way you can be sure, when you get the present on Christmas day, there is no cause for disappointment.

Nick

Nick, I think that is the best solution to this problem and covers all concerns. I hope that Paul takes your advice.

catkins
8th December 2010, 12:31 PM
As has been alluded to in other postings, when the delivery arrives will possibly be the clincher! Some stuff seems to be coming through fine but other bits are getting delayed - maybe it depends where in the supply chain it was when the snow problems hit home?
So perhaps FedEx will take on the role of Father Christmas and keep the surprise as late as possible to salve any conscience about early openings - after all the bumps and scrapes happening for drivers at present though, checking the delivery will be a good excuse, even if wrapped in foam, box, bubble wrap, wadding, more bubble wrap and another box! All the best though for a fab Christmas day spent out photographing!

BTW: Did you know that FedEx is said to be due to deliver 223 million parcels this Xmas! Here's a video - can you see your package there? *chr
http://www.wsfa.com/global/Category.asp?C=195969&clipId=5350309&autostart=true

Kiwi Paul
8th December 2010, 01:08 PM
Yes I saw my camera!!! "Woo hoo" at least I know they have it!!! lol

Paul

maccabeej
8th December 2010, 07:03 PM
If you don't keep a careful eye on it anything could happen. I reccomend opening every morning, try out all functions extensively during the day then wrap again in the evening. That way it's Christmas every day*chr
Jim

Ellie
8th December 2010, 11:35 PM
Should I wait until Xmas day to open my E5?

No, the absolute minimum you need to do is charge the battery and set the camera so it suits you, and that can take hours to get right what with test shots and so on. And don't forget you've got to make sure all your software in compatible and try out a bit of post processing too.

If you don't do that you could either miss taking the all-important Christmas Day photos or they could turn out all wrong, and that'd be a disaster.

DerekW
9th December 2010, 01:17 PM
You have a limited warranty with this camera - so you have to take it beyond normal burn in stage so as to expose any faults before the warranty runs out.

JackBenedict
9th December 2010, 04:15 PM
Use it immediately - there might be an E7 announced by Christmas. *chr

Kiwi Paul
9th December 2010, 04:57 PM
Well I have the tracking number and I at least know it's in Fed Ex's competent hands, I was hoping it would arrive today but that's not going to happen now so fingers crossed it will be tomorrow.

Paul

Makonde
9th December 2010, 05:11 PM
Use it immediately - there might be an E7 announced by Christmas. *chr

Noises are that it will be in January that they announce something that is a small pro splashproof MFT camera with built in EVF and much the same sensor/processor specs as the E5, and perhaps a new high grade zoom to go with it.

That would be logical and would be a sensible way of feeling forward in the market - to see whether the MFT version easily outsold the E5 equivalent....or not.

I'm sure Ian will know something........

As a new E5 owner I wouldn't mind this at all. I'm not an early adopter, and by the time I could be ready to transition towards the smaller system they would have (I hope) further improved the sensor and also produced a sufficient range of dedicated MFT lenses to make the move a proven upgrade in every way except, perhaps, size - as I get older and my fingers more fumbly, the smaller cameras are less suitable even though lighter.

quickben
12th December 2010, 03:28 PM
I too am now waiting for Christmas.....Just ordered mine from Park Cameras on the other half's credit card and she then has to wrap it etc. I just hope there is some charge in the battery so I can play with it out of the box.

She doesn't know that her E-PL1 is also under the tree....

ringneck
13th December 2010, 10:10 AM
I too am now waiting for Christmas.....Just ordered mine from Park Cameras on the other half's credit card and she then has to wrap it etc. I just hope there is some charge in the battery so I can play with it out of the box.

She doesn't know that her E-PL1 is also under the tree....

.....AAHHH

Keith *chr
p.s. popped into Jessops and Jacobs while in town the other day thinking there might be at least an E5 cardboard cutout to show "her indoors"...what was I thinking of..Doh

quickben
13th December 2010, 11:59 AM
p.s. popped into Jessops and Jacobs while in town the other day thinking there might be at least an E5 cardboard cutout to show "her indoors"...what was I thinking of..Doh

Buy the Amateur Photographer with the review.....

And yes, what were you thinking of - no where in Manchester has anything at all that even suggests an E5 exists.

Peter

quickben
18th December 2010, 04:22 PM
Park Cameras very efficient - so much so that City Link just left the box on the step - no one in - no signature required :eek:

Fortunately no snow or rain, as box prbably not as weatherproof as E5. I was told to open it and not allowed to leave it until Christmas Day and while I was initially reluctant, who was I to say no? ;) especially as snow has arrived and lots of photo opportunities. Now trying to figure out what everything does - after the simple controls and menus of the E-510 there is much more. But feels good with the 12-60. Oh any by way of irony - the E-5 box and freebie leather case all packed in a cardboard box that looked like it once had a 1D in it.

Peter

Kiwi Paul
18th December 2010, 04:50 PM
Congrats, hope you enjoy it. Have you given the wife the EP-1 early now?

I didn't wait, I opened mine as soon as I got it!!

Paul

quickben
18th December 2010, 04:59 PM
Congrats, hope you enjoy it. Have you given the wife the EP-1 early now?

I didn't wait, I opened mine as soon as I got it!!

Paul

Thanks Paul. She has no idea the E-PL1 is wating - she knows there is a heavy parcel and is confused - as she thought all she was getting was some chestnut fencing - which she has already put up in her field. I managed to sneak the battery out and get it charged so we will have a good time over Christmas.

Peter

quickben
25th December 2010, 03:53 PM
So what's the verdict from those virtuous folks who waited until today to open their E-5? Or did we all succumb :D just like me....

Kiwi Paul
25th December 2010, 04:16 PM
I couldn't wait and opened it as soon as I got it :-)

Paul

Ross the fiddler
25th December 2010, 11:51 PM
So what's the verdict from those virtuous folks who waited until today to open their E-5? Or did we all succumb :D just like me....

I was wishing, but Santa didn't bring me one.

BTW how did your wife like the EPL-1?

CaptainD
26th December 2010, 10:35 AM
Santa must have got stuck on the M25, blast!

Cheers

Chris *chr

quickben
26th December 2010, 08:30 PM
I was wishing, but Santa didn't bring me one.

BTW how did your wife like the EPL-1?

The EPL1 has gone down very well. As this is a bit of a step up from the Nikon Coolpix she is flicking through the dummies guide to get the gist. If she produces better stuff than me I shall be gutted....

Ross the fiddler
26th December 2010, 11:55 PM
The EPL1 has gone down very well. As this is a bit of a step up from the Nikon Coolpix she is flicking through the dummies guide to get the gist. If she produces better stuff than me I shall be gutted....

*laugh
Maybe she will. Who has the more artistic eye?

quickben
27th December 2010, 01:19 PM
*laugh
Maybe she will. Who has the more artistic eye?

We shall have to see.... Have put my old copy of Photoshop Elements 7 on her PC so that she can start to "play" - she is still finding her way around the camera controls but is taking woirryingly many more pictures of me.

Roger.Tomblin@vodafone.ne
27th December 2010, 02:51 PM
I had to wait, SWMBO squirreled mine away when it arrived but it was well worth the wait. Still she had to wait for the EC14 I bought for her.

Now all we need is some decent weather to get out and about, it's piddling with rain here in Devon at the moment but at least that is getting rid of all the ice that has been laying around for the last week.

flying haggis
27th December 2010, 03:21 PM
Santa must have got stuck on the M25, blast!

Cheers

Chris *chr

Oh No he didn't (as it is panto season)

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12382