PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Settings

Seonnaidh
6th December 2010, 07:47 PM
Confined to barracks today so spent a little time playing with the new E5.
Oh so much different to to my previous system.

At the moment I'm shooting RAW and have the camera on the following settings.
Evaluative Metering, Sharpening Off, ISO 100 White Balance as per the conditions.
Is it my imagination but compared to my previous system the results are a little bluish. Not a problem,
However what do you guys have as your default setting for sharpening?
Any help to a recent convert would be appreciated.

Thanks

snaarman
6th December 2010, 08:17 PM
Everyone has their own pet method:

I tend to use centre weighted metering, aperture priority, ISO200 (I read somewhere that there is no advantage to ISO 100 with my particular camera, the E620) WB auto.

As to sharpening, contrast and even WB, I don't believe they affect the raw image, though Adobe Raw Converter does pick up the "as shot" WB and will use it unless you over-ride it.

There are places on the web where folks have noted down their suggested settings for contrast, NR, gradation etc. I guess you may have to start with E3 settings and see how they translate to the E5, as the E5 is still quite new..

Erm. I guess this doesn't help much :-)

Pete

Seonnaidh
6th December 2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks for that. I'm off for a wee look round.

Greytop
6th December 2010, 09:31 PM
I would second what Pete says with regard to RAW, I don't think sharpness or noise reduction settings have any influence. I would say however the more I use the E-5 the more I'm finding that the Jpeg output is excellent.
Thus I'm currently shooting Large Super fine Jpeg + RAW. I prefer Natural mode mostly with default sharpness and saturation. Image stabilisation set to 1. I have noise reduction on, the noise filter set to standard.
I tend to have my ISO set to 200 as a default, on the odd occasion venturing to ISO100 if a need an extremely clean file and conditions allow. White balance auto unless conditions are particularly tricky.
I also have a preference for aperture priority mode :)

Zuiko
6th December 2010, 09:42 PM
Don't know about the E-5, but some previous models have had a slightly better DR at ISO 200 compared to ISO 100, probably due to ISO 200 being the native sensitivity.

For JPEGs I set the E-3 at AWB for most outdoor situations, which I find remarkably good, colour "natural," contrast "0" and sharpness "-1."