PDA

View Full Version : Printer for monotone

Paulpp
9th March 2008, 08:33 PM
Am thinking about upgrading my printer and the Epson that uses different shades of black/grey would be on interest as getting more into monotone, but is costly.
Has anyone any recommendations for a printer that produces good black and white tones?

ianc
9th March 2008, 11:59 PM
I use the Epson R2400 which produces fantastic B&W as well as colour. I'm now using it with the Lyson continuous ink system which I find once properly setup gives the same quality as the Epson but at a fraction of the ink cost.

Ian C.

emirpprime
10th March 2008, 10:01 AM
The HP B9180 is highly regarded in this regard, and they recently released the same tech and ink but cheaper B8850. Worth a look. There is a review here (http://photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/printers/Pigs/page_1.html) comparing the HP B9180, Epson R2400 and the Canon Pixma Pro 9500, perhaps the main 2 contenders.

What sort of money would you like to spend, and do you want A4, A3 or larger?

All the best,
Phil

sapper
10th March 2008, 10:05 AM
I looked at both Epson and HP for this and went for the HP Pro B9180 as the heads do not need to be changed for different media. I assume that you mean B/W by monotone? I produce B/W on fine art paper.
It produces very good B/W photos but is more expensive than Epson to run if you believe Epson figures. HP say £4.50 for A3= on high grade media, £2.50 on ordinary stuff. That is using ink/paper got from them, their ink/paper can be got cheaper elsewhere.

Dave.

Paulpp
10th March 2008, 02:35 PM
Thanks. I mainly use A4, but looks as if I shall have to go for an A3 printer to get the different inks

OlyPaul
10th March 2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks. I mainly use A4, but looks as if I shall have to go for an A3 printer to get the different inks

HP do a A4 printer that uses seperate inks for B&W and gives good quality cast free B&W prints and the reason I changed from Epson. I use the older 7960 that has now been replaced.

Graham_of_Rainham
10th March 2008, 07:02 PM
Hi,
The Epson R2400 seemed to get the best reviews overall. So I bought one and it produces stunning results. For the few times that I swap to Matte from Gloss the cartridge change is not an issue.

Overall I'd give it a solid thumbs up

sapper
10th December 2011, 08:25 AM
That was why I bought an HP. Plus by doing it myself I can use their matt paper.