PDA

View Full Version : E5 and Olympus' marketing strategy in the U.K.

Jim Ford
2nd December 2010, 12:21 PM
Given that the increase in V.A.T. in the new year will result in a price hike on the already expensive E5, you would think that Olympus would give some priority to 'feeding' the U.K. market and 'making hay while the sun shines' - yet the E5 appears to be still in short supply here.

When the window of opportunity of the lower V.A.T. rate closes, I suspect sales of the E5 in the U.K. will drop off sharply - probably _very_ sharply and sales in 2011 will fall away.

I don't think that Olympus' Marketing Director would get beyond the first round in 'The Apprentice'!

Jim

Who's_E
2nd December 2010, 12:41 PM
I think the whole of the Olympus marketing strategy needs some Lord Sugar coating.

I walked into Jessops in Kingston the other day: Big yellow Nikon stand to the left, red Canon one in front. Behind that were the electronics giants with their ranges (Sony, Panasonic). Pentax had their multi-coloured models lined up on display. The EP-2 and E-PL1 were in a corner.

I bought Amateur Photographer this week and there is a Park Cameras Christmas mini-magazine in there comprising many pages of cameras and bits. Each of Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax and Panasonic have dedicated whole-page spreads for their line-ups. Olympus is languishing behind Sigma and alongside Leica in terms of presence in the magazine.

I understand the focus on m4/3 for Olympus and that they have stopped production of all but the E-5. What I don't understand is why Olympus are not following the market trend to have a basic chassis and spin many indistinguishable models from it to give presence and allow salesmen to upsell through a range. The E-P2 and E-PL1 competed with no less than five models from Panasonic: GF1, G10, GH1, G2, GH2. Sony have six APS-C DSLRs. I am sure none of these differ greatly but it allows them to have a massive stand and for consumers to pay an extra 120 for a 3" screen and 2 megapixels.

It's just a shame that Oly seem to be standing still while the others are raging forward. Less well-informed consumers and salesmen must be overlooking Oly because they just aren't out there enough.

Nick

Ian
2nd December 2010, 12:56 PM
I'd just like to point out that while Sony has sunk huge resources into promoting their Alpha DSLRs, this has not been translated into particularly satisfying sales stats. They certainly haven't achieved the market targets they declared when the Alpha system was launched. So you can't just throw money at marketing and Olympus is a much smaller company than Sony, of course.

On the other hand, Sony is currently enjoying massive success with its NEX-5 and NEX-3 hybrid cameras, despite luke-warm reviews. Just two models, remember, but these two are out-selling all the other hybrids, especially in Japan. Panasonic is doing poorly in Japan, and the last time I saw market data from there Olympus was higher up the charts than their friendly rival.

I still think the hybrid market is still at a very early stage. When hybrids start to out-sell DSLRs, that's when all the fun will start!

As for E-5s, maybe Olympus has underestimated demand, I don't know, but better than over-estimating it.

Ian

Jim Ford
2nd December 2010, 02:07 PM
As for E-5s, maybe Olympus has underestimated demand, I don't know, but better than over-estimating it.

It seems so simple to me - 'Let's satisfy the demand in the U.K. first, because nobody will buy it next year after the big price jump.'!

Jim

theMusicMan
2nd December 2010, 02:34 PM
Well, whatever Oly's UK Marketing strategy is, after the images I have seen here and online elsewhere... I know one thing... I really do want one. The IQ on some of the images I've seen is close to spectacular - especially the 'browns' - so lush.

Who's_E
2nd December 2010, 02:37 PM
When hybrids start to out-sell DSLRs, that's when all the fun will start!

Ian

Ian,

Thanks for the comforting clarification. I just find it frustrating that such great products sometimes seem to fade into the background of the shop behind the bulldozing other products.

I love my 4/3 products and just want them to stay around and keep me coming back for more.

Nick

PeterD
2nd December 2010, 02:42 PM
I'd just like to point out that while Sony has sunk huge resources into promoting their Alpha DSLRs, this has not been translated into particularly satisfying sales stats. They certainly haven't achieved the market targets they declared when the Alpha system was launched. So you can't just throw money at marketing and Olympus is a much smaller company than Sony, of course.

On the other hand, Sony is currently enjoying massive success with its NEX-5 and NEX-3 hybrid cameras, despite luke-warm reviews. Just two models, remember, but these two are out-selling all the other hybrids, especially in Japan. Panasonic is doing poorly in Japan, and the last time I saw market data from there Olympus was higher up the charts than their friendly rival.

I still think the hybrid market is still at a very early stage. When hybrids start to out-sell DSLRs, that's when all the fun will start!

Ian

I think the point you make about about the demand for the E5 being under-estimated is absolutely right. Also, to over-estimate is a major problem. Unfortunately, both of these extremes are very wrong and from a business sense could be disastrous. From what I have read, it would seem that the focus of attention was on the micro 4/3 and that the E5 was a poor relation in marketing terms. Some people at Olympus must be tearing their hair out at the positive reviews the E5 has had. Opportunity missed and Marketing to blame. I would hope that Olympus have a serious re-think in their strategy.

It seems so simple to me - 'Let's satisfy the demand in the U.K. first, because nobody will buy it next year after the big price jump.'!

Jim

I am not so sure a price hike of about 30 in VAT could in any way be described as 'big' Jim. I think though that the problem you have described as short supply could be the big reason sales that the E5 will remain depressed.

dbutch
2nd December 2010, 03:04 PM
Two points from me

1st the pro magazine have been carrying Oly ads for the E-5 so that is targeted marketing which is the right thing to do, not bought any of the consumer mags so don't know if it has been placed in them.

2nd Olympus were keen to get existing customers to upgrade but strangly this is the 1st Oly pro/semi pro release we have not seen a loyalty promotion on, I even got an adaptor when I bought my E-PL1 - perhaps they new they may have supply issues if it was to popular?

Dave

P.s. yes I would like one, but my 2 E-30's are working great so it is difficult to justify, now a free FL-50R or a 50mm macro......

shenstone
2nd December 2010, 03:04 PM
I don't think that Olympus' Marketing Director would get beyond the first round in 'The Apprentice'!

Jim

I couldn't agree more

They launched this ecellent camera amongst so many negative comments re futures they must have put off at least 50% of potential sales and they are only slowly coming back as the results are seen.

Regards
Andy

Wally
2nd December 2010, 03:37 PM
Its turned out to be a very good product but it won't take off if you keep things hidden under your hat and /or trickle feed the public. Having said that, for many there is no real reason to go out and buy one. If your camera works well, given the financial straits many of us are in, then perhaps we would be better off splashing the e-5 asking price on better glass.

As for the market, as a bona-fide registered user of more than one of their products, I have received nothing by way of information on any new product - ever? It isn't as if they need the Secret Service to track me down... how much does an email cost?

As far as I'm concerned they (Olympus) missed a trick, so, as things stand - as a certain Lord would say... "Your fired!"

yorky
2nd December 2010, 04:43 PM
I quite agree that the marketing policy is to say the least- abysmal. I have several lenses and an E3 plus an EP 2 registered with Olympus and have not received any promotional material whatsoever. i also take their quarterly magazine. With publicity like theirs its no wonder Canikon reap the market? I used to use a Nikon several years since and receive publicity about every new product from them. I feel the treat the U.K.market with disdain.

Ian
2nd December 2010, 04:50 PM
Olympus UK has invested heavily in TV advertising this year with the Pen ads starring Kevin Spacey, and there is a new TV ad in the pipeline. They also do targeted advertising aimed at upgraders from compacts, often in the lifestyle magazine sector, which many of us might not see.

This site is financed by Olympus UK's marketing budget!

Ian

Ian
2nd December 2010, 04:54 PM
Two points from me

1st the pro magazine have been carrying Oly ads for the E-5 so that is targeted marketing which is the right thing to do, not bought any of the consumer mags so don't know if it has been placed in them.

2nd Olympus were keen to get existing customers to upgrade but strangly this is the 1st Oly pro/semi pro release we have not seen a loyalty promotion on, I even got an adaptor when I bought my E-PL1 - perhaps they new they may have supply issues if it was to popular?

Dave

P.s. yes I would like one, but my 2 E-30's are working great so it is difficult to justify, now a free FL-50R or a 50mm macro......

The E-5 has been advertised several times with full page ads in Amateur Photographer, and I'm pretty sure it's in some of the monthlies.

Ian

yorky
2nd December 2010, 05:31 PM
Yes Ian, they have advertised in certain magazines, possibly in contravention to advertising standards as they haven't got their products available in the shops? In fact, the E5 is virtually unobtainable in this country.

Jim Ford
2nd December 2010, 05:44 PM
In fact, the E5 is virtually unobtainable in this country.

So what happens when someone not already committed to Olympus, goes into a shop to look at one with the possibility of walking out with it? Easy:

'Sorry Sir, they're not in stock and we don't know when they'll be in. Have you considered a Canon xxx, Nikon xxx or Pentax xx, they're getting good reviews?'

Customer loses interest in Olympus and walks out with a Canon/Nikon/Pentax - whatever.

There's just one word for it - 'pathetic'!

Jim

PeterD
2nd December 2010, 05:44 PM
Olympus UK has invested heavily in TV advertising this year with the Pen ads starring Kevin Spacey, and there is a new TV ad in the pipeline. They also do targeted advertising aimed at upgraders from compacts, often in the lifestyle magazine sector, which many of us might not see.

This site is financed by Olympus UK's marketing budget!

Ian

Pen, Pen, Pen - That really was their major thrust. Not much at all about the E5 except from various rumours from third parties. Yes, I can understand that they wanted to keep a secret but even the launch was a bit of a damp squib with no encouragementfor dSLR owners amid the rumours of this being the last dSLR. We also remember that Sigma are stopping support with certain 4/3 lens'. It has really been down to a few E5 owners (that were lucky enough to get hold of an E5) to promote the camera by demonstrating its performance.

The E-5 has been advertised several times with full page ads in Amateur Photographer, and I'm pretty sure it's in some of the monthlies.

Ian

I do not buy the AP mag so cannot comment on this. There is no sense in advertising something that missed it's availability at launch by two weeks, and then the supply dries up. This target that they set was Olympus' own. No-one forced them to give a date when they would be available. Bad marketing and planning, certainly.

Ian
2nd December 2010, 05:54 PM
Yes Ian, they have advertised in certain magazines, possibly in contravention to advertising standards as they haven't got their products available in the shops? In fact, the E5 is virtually unobtainable in this country.

I think that's a little unfair. The e-group and FTU bear witness to a good number of E-5 users. Of course there are others that hope to join their ranks, but the camera has been in stock and will be again. And many don't just go out an buy straight away. Several here have declared they will wait for the price to drop and others are saving up.

Ian

photo_owl
2nd December 2010, 06:24 PM
you guys crack me up - just what I need given the weather so thank you!

in the same thread we have:

Oly isn't spending enough promoting the E5
Demand outstrips supply, and
If they were on the Apprentice they would be fired..........

Tactfully I might suggest that the fastest way to get fired would be to spend money on marketing a product for which demand outstrips supply....but what do I know. :)

In practice the UK market tends to have a relatively slow new product pick up (relative to Japan and the US) amongst those that the supplier expects to upgrade - it's how we do it (partly value focused, as opposed to price, and partly fear of looking silly by purchasing a poor upgrade - as opposed to the US where the fear would be seen with yesterdays' model). In many ways Oly die-hards are even more in this camp!

All this leads to UK distributors being reticent to initially order 'heavily'; to a degree they are safe as the distribution market is still fairly stable.

Then overlay the relatively slow 2nd stocking from Oly Europe and you quickly get a situation where people jump up an down, wanting it now, wanting it reduced in price, wanting loyalty offers, wanting it before a tax rise, etc etc

And yes I want one, but I'm not desperate (the camera's I have still work!) and the few extra on vat isn't significant in the wider scheme of things.

Anyhow - thanks again for the amusement...

Ian
2nd December 2010, 06:33 PM
It's well worth noting that Olympus UK has to place its orders for stock months in advance and much of that decision making is based on feedback from potential stockists.

On top of that there is the manufacturing capacity. Clearly there is greater overall demand for the much cheaper and, let's face it, trendy, Pens, whether you like it or not. Olympus does have limited manufacturing capacity and in this time of financial problems it's much healthier to be operating at full capacity than not.

Ian

yorky
2nd December 2010, 06:39 PM
Sorry Ian,its just plain lack of consideration for existing customers. for instance, for some reason I am always getting offers from Olympus?? Olympus USA.
Organize, Print and Share with [ib] v.1.3. Download Today! | View the images in this email.

View All Cameras | Audio Products | Binoculars | Accessories

Olympus is excited to announce the release of its newest version of [ib] desktop software for PCs. Not only will you receive FREE Photo Space where you can share and manage your photos online, but we also want you to receive a free copy of the brand new release of [ib] desktop software.

With this latest release, [ib] now links directly to Olympus’ new online photo service, [ib on the net], and makes managing your photos as easy as taking them. With [ib] you will be able to:

Use our fun facial
recognition tool to tag
your photos automatically.

Create simple filters that
will automatically send
pictures to Photo Bank or
your Share Space.

Use the enhanced Photo
Book tool to create your
books offline with more
layouts and colors.

Edit pictures before you
share or print them.

* Photo Book offer valid in the US only. Offer valid for one time use per member per household. Applicable tax and shipping fees will apply. May not be used in conjunction with any other offer. We reserve the right to modify or discontinue promotions at any time. Expires 11/15/2010 at 11:59 p.m. (EST).

If you'd prefer not to receive email news and offers specific to Olympus' [ib on the net] photo sharing and storage service, but would like continue to receive other emails from Olympus, please click here.

Update Your Email Subscription
Get more or less email, change your email address, or update your camera model on our Preferences page. Product Support & Repair
Web: Support | Repair
1-888-553-4448 (M-F, 8am-10pm ET)
Contact Technical Support
Feedback
We're listening, talk to us about this email: emailfeedback@olympus.com Unsubscribe
Click here or email unsubscribe-72837@elabs3.com if you'd like to stop receiving emails from Olympus.
Address Book
Ensure delivery of Olympus email. Add reply-72837@email.olympus.com to your address book.

You have received this promotional email because you requested email updates from Olympus.
Olympus respects your privacy. View our policy.
Olympus Imaging America Inc.
3500 Corporate Parkway
P.O. Box 610
Center Valley, PA 18034-0610
www.olympusamerica.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 9.0.869 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3250 - Release Date: 11/11/10 07:34:00

Ian
2nd December 2010, 06:45 PM
I get the feeling some here are not getting the regular marketing mails from Olympus Europe. If you have registered your kit and don't get these mails (which cover new products and occasionally other Olympus news) then let me know via PM and I'll see if I can get you added to the mailing list.

Ian

PaulE
2nd December 2010, 07:27 PM
It's well worth noting that Olympus UK has to place its orders for stock months in advance and much of that decision making is based on feedback from potential stockists.

On top of that there is the manufacturing capacity. Clearly there is greater overall demand for the much cheaper and, let's face it, trendy, Pens, whether you like it or not. Olympus does have limited manufacturing capacity and in this time of financial problems it's much healthier to be operating at full capacity than not.

Ian

Had the marketing department handled the run up to the E5 announcement better the feedback Olympus was getting from stockists might well have been alot more positive. From what I remember (pre E5 announcement) belief that 4/3rds had already been abandoned was at an all time high and only the rumours (which really shouldn't be trusted) kept alive the idea that there would ever be another proper 4/3rds camera.

Keeping existing users and potential new customers properly informed from an early stage on what they were working on and when they were likely to release the next camera would likely stop a huge amount of the negative feedback that Olympus must read on the forums and receive from their stockists. Even now no one knows if there will be another proper 4/3rds camera after the E5 or when if ever it might be released - which hardly inspires confidence in potential customers - I'm sure stockists notes the slow sales down to people simply not being interested in 4/3rds (which isn't neccessarily the case) and this negative feedback gets passed onto Olympus who then underestimate the size of the market. It seems to be a vicious circle to me but is one that Olympus could quite easily break by being alot more open about their plans and putting a stop to the vague and sometimes contradictory statements and wishy washy plans that seem to emerge from various interviews with different Olympus representatives - such things leave people guessing - is it any wonder people lack the confidence to invest in the latest models when they are unsure what the future holds for the system?

Seonnaidh
2nd December 2010, 08:39 PM
As a newcomer to both this Forum and the Oly E system I would like to make a point or two. Especially as I have migrated from Nikon to Oly.
For many years Nikon were very slow in making available new models in the UK. I can remember when the F5 was virtually unobtainable in the UK but Nikon Pro magazine did a feature on some guy shooting Ski Jumping in Switzerland and using 15 of them. Hardly fair on the loyal UK Nikon users.
Same again for all the high end digital cameras. I can distinctly remember wandering around central London trying to get my hands on a Nikon D200. No chance. In fact I was told by one large retail chain to " forget it for a couple of months". This despite being a member of Nikon's "Professional Service' scheme. Who promise a lot but deliver very little. I had the Nikkor 80-400mm lens away at Nikon for a faulty repair. When I telephoned for the umpteenth time asking for an update a very rude young woman with a very 'plummy' accent virtually told me to go away and stop bothering them.
However at a recent trade exhibition the guys from Olympus were great.
Many years ago when I used OM-1 and OM2 machines Oly were very helpful and supportive. I have received the same helpful levels of service from Oly marketing recently.
I suppose it's the element of "I can't get one so I want one" kicking in a little bit with some people. I don't worry about the future with 4/3rds or micro 4/3rds. Why because it is going to be the BIG thing. Oly, Panasonic et al will definitely produce the goods to enable enthusiast photographers to achieve their aims. No doubt about it.

I have a few pro colleagues here in Scotland who have upwards of 40-50K tied up in Canon equipment and they moan about the service from Canon. So lads and lasses we are not alone in our perceptions of our chosen brand.

Makonde
2nd December 2010, 11:23 PM
I have to agree. Olympus have wilfully shot themselves in the foot several times, and spectacularly with the "no more Four Thirds - O wait, maybe we didn't mean that"

They make good, innovative and robust products but they seem to be utter lemons at marketing strategy, pricing, and selling them.

In the E5 it seems that Olympus have a worthy flagship camera to promote and should be / should have been saying "and it will get steadily better as technological innovation continues." Even if in the boardroom they mean that it will get better in follow-up to the planned innovations on the better-selling PEN range. But Oly will not be taken seriously by the photography market at any level unless they do have a camera that pros will want to use as a principal camera. I can't yet see that being the case with the PENS.

I believe that OLY in a conscientious way have followed up on threads here and elsewhere about what we want by way of improvements and have produced a machine that looks excellent (mine should arrive tomorrow). But they have thrown away the marketing cards!

Nick Temple-Fry
3rd December 2010, 01:23 AM
It could be argued that the current 'supply' situation for the E-5 makes a very well thought out match for the money spent on marketing. In which case someone has actually done a very good job, after all why spend all the money on advertising when every item you ship sells straight away without it?

Olympus UK and Europe will have known for quite a while how many units they would get, delivery dates etc. Marketing will have been planned to match the need to shift those units. If Japan HQ told them supply volumes would be constrained (at least initially) then that would account for the relatively low key/offer free approach. It could well be that we will see more active promotion/discount/bundling as the supply/demand situation changes.

Whether the apparently constrained supply is in the best interest of either Olympus UK, Olympus globally and the brand (though I would suggest that for the brand it may well not be) is another question, and far harder to resolve without access to all sorts of backroom figures and costs.

Certainly we seem to be getting quite a high number of early adopters on the group, perhaps quicker than we saw when the E-3 was launched. And with less apparent angst, as some early E-3's seemed to suffer from niggling QA faults and critism, a situation which Olympus is probably anxious to avoid repeating (and which seems not to affected later cameras/launches).

Anyway - all the positive remarks are making it very hard for me to keep to my resolve to wait for some level of discounting before deciding to buy.

Get you behind me AndyM, PeterD, Barr1e et al, your siren photographs will not cause me to stray.

Nick

iMac
3rd December 2010, 01:48 AM

I don't think it is much better across the pond in my country either, the two big chains here are having issues getting there hands on them as well, so the UK is not alone.

Zuiko
3rd December 2010, 02:49 AM
It's regrettable that more cameras aren't available but Olympus can't magic up extra production capacity overnight. If the level of demand has surprised them it's a good thing, because that may encourage them to filter some of the improvements down to a hitherto unplanned mid-range body in due course.

As for VAT, it's of little consequence.

Body price 1500 including 17.5% VAT, soon to be 20%.

1500 117.5 = 12.77 x 120 = 1532.

If I had anything close to 1500 to spare on an E-5 I wouldn't let an extra 32 put me off. I'll wager that many waiting for the camera would gladly pay a 32 premium to get it tomorrow! :D

Makonde
3rd December 2010, 01:16 PM
After a few years, Four Thirds has failed to make sufficient impact on the market to render that section of Olympus profitable. http://pmanewsline.com/2010/11/29/olympus-posts-decline-in-first-half-profits-revenue/.

So, is that because the products are not as good as the competition, or is it because of inferior marketing strategy, or do you argue that it is because poor Oly has not been able to make them fast enough to sell like hot cakes, with outlets shrieking for more....?

yorky
3rd December 2010, 02:09 PM
250,000 sales are not chicken feed are they, I guess they must be just concentrating on their home market and the Far East! I makes for serious thought as to the future of the olympus DSLR range, more especially the top end? I realise the the photo market is but a small part of the Olympus portfolio.

sapper
3rd December 2010, 02:35 PM
After a few years, Four Thirds has failed to make sufficient impact on the market to render that section of Olympus profitable. http://pmanewsline.com/2010/11/29/olympus-posts-decline-in-first-half-profits-revenue/.

So, is that because the products are not as good as the competition, or is it because of inferior marketing strategy, or do you argue that it is because poor Oly has not been able to make them fast enough to sell like hot cakes, with outlets shrieking for more....?

One of the plus points of the E system was that bodies and lenses were supposed to be smaller than the competition.
I just been looking at the D700 and it is lighter than the E5 and cheaper by 500.
IQ seemed good and it is dust/splash proof.
I was very tempeted to get one but I have too much tied up in 4/3 lenses.
I think Oly have not lived up to their promises.
Having said that, I am still seriously considering the E5, It would be far too expensive to change system now.

theMusicMan
3rd December 2010, 02:40 PM
Hi Dave - if the E5 is retailing for approx 1300, where have you seen a D700 for 800 - cos if you have, I want one! :)

sapper
3rd December 2010, 04:09 PM
Hi Dave - if the E5 is retailing for approx 1300, where have you seen a D700 for 800 - cos if you have, I want one! :)

I saw a review of the D700 and the price of 1000 was quoted. Think ir was dpreview. The E5 is 1500 as far as I can see. Let me know where the E5 is 1300 please.

sapper
3rd December 2010, 04:15 PM
I saw a review of the D700 and the price of 1000 was quoted. Think ir was dpreview. The E5 is 1500 as far as I can see. Let me know where the E5 is 1300 please.

Just searched and can only find E5 at 1500 and D700 1600. I got it wrong.
But I am interested in an E5 at 1300:)

theMusicMan
3rd December 2010, 04:37 PM
aha.... that's just what I thought the E5 was retailing for, Dave. My mistake.

pepper
3rd December 2010, 05:49 PM
I'm not sure where you got your weights from either, a D700 is a huge beast at 995g an E3 (not sure about the E5's weight at the moment only weighs on at 800g!

So the D700 is quarter the weight again over the Olympus E3, I don't reckon the E5 will be much heavier than its predecessor.

pepper
3rd December 2010, 05:51 PM
Ok found the Specs on DP reviews web site

Olympus E5 http://www.dpreview.co.uk/previews/olympuse5/page2.asp

Nikon D700 http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond700/page2.asp

It looks like the E5 is 13g heavier than the old E3.

sapper
3rd December 2010, 05:54 PM
I'm not sure where you got your weights from either, a D700 is a huge beast at 995g an E3 (not sure about the E5's weight at the moment only weighs on at 800g!

So the D700 is quarter the weight again over the Olympus E3, I don't reckon the E5 will be much heavier than its predecessor.

I'm not sure either, got it wrong again:o

dbutch
3rd December 2010, 08:25 PM
I think you were probably looking at the D7000:rolleyes:

Cathrine Stephansen
4th December 2010, 02:37 PM
The E5 is only sold in ONE chain of stores in Norway, I was put on a waiting list to get mine. When it first came out, it was predicted to cost approx. 17000 Norwegian kroner (we have 25% VAT), but the internet store price was a nice surprise, 14900 NOK, including VAT. :D

Nick Temple-Fry
4th December 2010, 02:48 PM
The E5 is only sold in ONE chain of stores in Norway, I was put on a waiting list to get mine. When it first came out, it was predicted to cost approx. 17000 Norwegian kroner (we have 25% VAT), but the internet store price was a nice surprise, 14900 NOK, including VAT. :D

14900 NOK about 1577 of Her Majesties pounds sterling, still a lot of money.

Nick

sapper
4th December 2010, 02:58 PM
Here it is 1095.00.
http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/c-225-jacobs-digital-digital-slr.aspx
I knew I had seen it for less than the E5.
And here.
http://www.parkcameras.com/17100/Nikon-D7000-Body.html
OK, I cannot tell my 700 from my 7000, but whats a 0 between friends?

Cathrine Stephansen
4th December 2010, 03:14 PM
14900 NOK about 1577 of Her Majesties pounds sterling, still a lot of money.

Nick

Can't argue with that! But 17000 is worse ;)

Always look on the bright side of life!

David Gethin
4th December 2010, 03:18 PM
Here it is 1095.00.
http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/c-225-jacobs-digital-digital-slr.aspx
I knew I had seen it for less than the E5.
And here.
http://www.parkcameras.com/17100/Nikon-D7000-Body.html

Dave, those are prices for the D7000 not the D700.

Alan Clogwyn
4th December 2010, 04:50 PM
Considering the huge amount of advertising Panasonic does of it's Lumix G range, I've seen probably as many E5 images as I have from the whole panasonic m4/3 lineup.

Until Oly offer something better than the E5 again and at much lower cost, I'll be sticking with my GH1.

Wee man
4th December 2010, 06:05 PM
Sorry have to agree I got a special delivery of the E5 booklet but I cannot find one shop in my part of the world (and I have phoned round) with an E5 to let me try before I buy. I am relying on people on this site and others to let me know what the product is like before I spend a lot of money without touching a sample. I can walk into any of the camera shops and try Canon or Nikon models and others. The only way they say is to order one (and put down a deposit) and they will get one in but it would be a number of weeks.
When I wanted to look at a 620 last year Calumet got a camera sent over for me to look at but they would not put a battery in it or open more than one lens. They told me Olympus do not send out shop demo cameras so they would have to sell the camera and did not want it looking shop soiled which I could understand.
I then went to Jessop who were happy to let me try both a 620 and a E30 and they had special offers on the E30 so I came away with one. Even Jessops do not have an E5 this time round. Come on Olympus!

If this is out of position I typed it after reading Zukos post but got called away and did not post it; when I came back I hit post without reading the extras in the mean time.

Naughty Nigel
4th December 2010, 09:35 PM
There are many companies selling excellent prodcts which fail to market their products effectively. Sometimes they will spend good money in one market, but not in another. In my experience this is usually because the companies concerned have not taken the time to understand their markets properly.

On the other hand there are many companies which do a very good job of marketing products which, frankly, are nothing special, but the marketing people do a good job of persuading the public that they are a cut above the rest.

Certain German car manufacturers and a company which sells computers named after a fruit come to mind. After all, why would anyone pay 50,000 + for a car which doesn't even have a reverse gear? (How often has a BMW/Mercedes/Audi driver reversed for you?):)

NN

Rod Souter
5th December 2010, 07:25 PM
a company which sells computers named after a fruit come to mind.
NN

Would that be Apricot?

(That shows my age:D:D)

Rod

Naughty Nigel
5th December 2010, 07:40 PM
Would that be Apricot?

(That shows my age:D:D)

Rod

Err no; but it does begin with an 'A' :(

NN

shenstone
5th December 2010, 09:15 PM

NN

Darn ... that's my guess gone then ... Lemon Computers did really exist http://www.flickr.com/photos/lrosa/419040597/

Regards
Andy

shenstone
5th December 2010, 09:23 PM
Certain German car manufacturers and a company which sells computers named after a fruit come to mind. After all, why would anyone pay 50,000 + for a car which doesn't even have a reverse gear? (How often has a BMW/Mercedes/Audi driver reversed for you?):)

NN

This all reminds me of the conversation with the Land Rover dealer

Me
"This freelander has less ground clearance and lower power than that Suzuki i've been looking at and there are no bad reports of the electrics on those... why is it 5k more"
Him
"it's the name sir"

Hmm...

This was the car last year and I've still got it ... some of us will go for cost effective good solutions despite the marketing

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P1024909_1.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/20475)

Regards
Andy

roadkill_6mm
5th December 2010, 10:16 PM
The thing is......despite everything, I really want an E-5. I care not a jot about the lack of marketing, I also dont care about the 'luke-warm' reception the camera got (all those slightly warmed over E-3 reviews)

I reserved judgement until the camera had been put in the hands of 'normal' folk (lets face it according to some Oly users are never 'normal') - the results on here from normal, ordinary, non-pixel peeping enthusiasts speaks volumes in my mind. Every post I see about the E-5 just makes me want one more.

Thing is 1500????? There is no way I can spend that on a camera. Thats more than the other halfs car cost!

Why so expensive???? If you're not going to release a slightly watered down version of the E-5 (as in an E-50) why not price it at around 995 - at this price I'd have less trouble convincing the other half. I'm certain that at a sub 1000 price point they would shift volume and have more of a chance of getting canikon users to move over to the Oly side - just think they'd be able to take advantage of all that wonderful Zuiko glass.

I'm sure the E-5 is worth 1500, but I cant help but think that Oly would have served themselves better positioning it at under a grand

Neil

Rod Souter
5th December 2010, 11:01 PM

NN

I used to use one of their IIe models with strange half track formatting on 5 floppy discs:eek:

Rod

Nick Temple-Fry
6th December 2010, 12:44 AM

NN

Must be Acorn then

Nick