PDA

View Full Version : Buffer size.

andym
2nd December 2010, 10:22 AM
I found something on the E5 thats not as good as the E3,well apart from not having a dedicated button for IS.
The buffer does not seem to have increased and therefore you can only take about 11 raw frames on the high setting before the buffer fills and it drops back to about 1 frame per second.This was with a Sandisk extreame 3 card.I assume if I had a faster card it would empty the buffer quicker.
On the E3 I can shoot about 20 frames before the buffer fills.It seems to be about the same for LSF jpegs.If you drop to LF it seems to go on forever till the card fills on both.
I don't shoot continuous very often but it would have been nice to see the buffer increased.I know that file size has increase as the E3 is 10 mp and the E5 is 12mp but I'm only getting about half as many.
Interested if anyone with an E5 who has a very fast card can see what they can get.

Something to do while the weathers cxxp outside;)

Ross the fiddler
2nd December 2010, 10:57 AM
Unfortunately it was one thing they didn't consider as important, but if you need an IS button, you can always sacrifice the preview function & use that button (that was one good thing they did with that).

Ian
2nd December 2010, 12:09 PM
Extreme III cards are a fair bit slower than UDMA cards (Extreme IV and later) on the E-5 (and there is some benefit on the E-3 as well). Of course E-5 files are 20% larger as well. On the other hand, I did notice that the shooting rate is not noticeably dulled when using continuous AF.

Ian

photo_owl
2nd December 2010, 12:25 PM
I don't notice a practical difference between the 3 and 30 in this respect (using 30mbs cards), and can't see that the 5 will be 'worse' than the 30.

Theoretically, with RAW files, it's going to be a data transfer issue with either the bus or the card read speed being the bottleneck. I always thought it would be the jpeg engines rendering that would be a factor but, as you have illustrated in your post, it isn't - and definitely won't be on the 5.

As Ian hints, I would expect the 5 to have a faster bus (than the 3 or 30) and to be able to benefit from faster cards (better than 30mbs) in a way that the 3 and 30 don't seem to. It would be interesting to know what the optimum speed is - and if it's faster than the others can handle.

andym
2nd December 2010, 02:23 PM
Of course E-5 files are 20% larger as well. On the other hand, I did notice that the shooting rate is not noticeably dulled when using continuous AF.

Ian

Probably some other factor comes into play but I seem to get 50% less in terms of amount of continous frame from the E5 than the E3.As I said it's not much of a problem to me but may be to some people.

andym
2nd December 2010, 02:24 PM
I don't notice a practical difference between the 3 and 30 in this respect (using 30mbs cards), and can't see that the 5 will be 'worse' than the 30.

Theoretically, with RAW files, it's going to be a data transfer issue with either the bus or the card read speed being the bottleneck. I always thought it would be the jpeg engines rendering that would be a factor but, as you have illustrated in your post, it isn't - and definitely won't be on the 5.

As Ian hints, I would expect the 5 to have a faster bus (than the 3 or 30) and to be able to benefit from faster cards (better than 30mbs) in a way that the 3 and 30 don't seem to. It would be interesting to know what the optimum speed is - and if it's faster than the others can handle.

Interested in what the E30 can do if you want to run a little unscientific test.

Seonnaidh
2nd December 2010, 03:37 PM
Hi,

I've just tested mine and got 18 frames on RAW before it all started to get a bit pedestrian.
I'm using Lexar 4gb 300X Professional cards.
As with yourself dropping down to LF JPEGS I can fil the card before the buffer fills.
Any help?

andym
2nd December 2010, 03:43 PM
Hi,

I've just tested mine and got 18 frames on RAW before it all started to get a bit pedestrian.
I'm using Lexar 4gb 300X Professional cards.
As with yourself dropping down to LF JPEGS I can fil the card before the buffer fills.
Any help?

Thanks and interesting.May be the card speed.But could it be as rumoured that the E5 image pipeline does do a little bit to RAWs ie the anti moire effect.

Who knows.