PDA

View Full Version : E-5 Default Settings

graham_jester
1st December 2010, 02:32 PM
It's great to see so many superb E-5 images being posted on this and other sites. Also the fact that many users are really impressed with the high quality of the Out-Of-Camera JPEG results; even suggesting that there may be little or no need for further post-processing.
That said, I'm sure that for comparison, at least, there will be much interest in eventually seeing the results of E-5 RAW images processed in Adobe LR3.
My question, via this post, is to enquire what customisation, if any, is being made to the camera's default settings in order to achieve these excellent results?
Default settings that include Image Stabilisation set to IS1 and Noise Filter set to Standard (with past E-series cameras, many pundits suggested that this should be set to no more than LOW).
Is Auto or Normal Gradation being generally employed?
Thanks
Graham

theMusicMan
1st December 2010, 03:03 PM
Doesn't 'Gradation' only apply to jpg images and not to RAW files...?

graham_jester
1st December 2010, 03:55 PM
Hi John

Yes, I believe 'Gradation' only applies to JPEGs, hence the reason for mentioning it. Is it being used to help achieve OOC JPEGs that don't need any further post-processing?

Regards
Graham

andym
1st December 2010, 04:31 PM
Hi

As far as I remember Auto gradation is one of the few settings you have to be careful with even in Raw.I believe it adjusts the tone curve and exposure and is likely to bring up any shadow noise.

I may be wrong it might be worth a bit of serching ie Googling.

The E5 has so many setting you can adjust it may take sometime to get it just how you want it.I shoot in Raw all the time so have my contrast and sharpening settings set low ie -1.this is only if I use veiwer to develop as these camera settings are applied by that program.With these set low you are then ready to PP how you want.If you shoot in Jpeg it also gives a good starting point for PP.
Using a third party Raw converter this does not apply.

Hope thismakes sence,enjoy the camera.

theMusicMan
1st December 2010, 05:00 PM
Andy - contrast and sharpening settings again are only applied to the generated jpg and not to the RAW file so they will have zero affect on any RAW images loaded into say, LR. It doesn't matter what they are set at in camera, if you only shoot in RAW the only affect they have is on image you see on the rear display (which is an in-camera generated jpg image).

andym
1st December 2010, 05:22 PM
John

What I was trying to say and I've probably worded it badly is that if you convert in Olympus software ie viewer etc it will take these setting as its base.I think I mentioned that in third party software this is not the case.

Probably just the way I word things:o

graham_jester
1st December 2010, 05:23 PM
Hi

As suggested by Andy, I've 'Googled' Olympus Auto Gradation and found an explanation by Ian, in September 2009, at this link:

http://fourthirds-user.com/forum/blog.php?b=2

From this it seems Auto Gradation can impact RAW images, by altering the exposure (under-expose) and also possibly introducing noise.

Thanks for the replies.
Graham

theMusicMan
1st December 2010, 05:39 PM
John

What I was trying to say and I've probably worded it badly is that if you convert in Olympus software ie viewer etc it will take these setting as its base.I think I mentioned that in third party software this is not the case.

Probably just the way I word things:o
Thanks Andy... my misunderstanding. Cheers for clearing that up.

photo_owl
1st December 2010, 05:40 PM
I shoot quite a lot of OOC jpegs with both the E-P1 and E-30 (there I have said it.... :) ) but rule 1 of soing so is that you have to be sensitive to your subject with more than 'just' exposure, shutter speed and IS settings - that's the whole point of having so many settings isn't it?

With the E's I have found it really useful to fine tune the underlying settings to Portrait, Natural, Vivid etc as my baselines

I would love to have Auto-gradation linked to ISO settings but tend to have it on by default and switch off as the ISO has to be increased significantly - with the E5 and it's many in camera options in this category there will be a whole lot more for me to consider in this area when I get one.

NF is generally off/low at the moment, again ISO dependent, and I can't see me changing that with the 5. Here it's a shame that the options with the K5 to preset and link the NF to the ISO haven't been provided - although it's possible the jpeg engine does this automatically (and appropriately).

Basically things have moved on a long way since the X10 (when you had to dial down the sharpness or cut yourself) then the 4/520 when generally people felt they needed to add a touch back - since the 620/30/E-Ps any setting tweaks have been very much more down to perdonal preference and subject than the sort of general 'adjustment' that most applied a few years back.

Ross the fiddler
1st December 2010, 11:56 PM
Hi

As far as I remember Auto gradation is one of the few settings you have to be careful with even in Raw.I believe it adjusts the tone curve and exposure and is likely to bring up any shadow noise.
I may be wrong it might be worth a bit of serching ie Googling.

The E5 has so many setting you can adjust it may take sometime to get it just how you want it.I shoot in Raw all the time so have my contrast and sharpening settings set low ie -1.this is only if I use veiwer to develop as these camera settings are applied by that program.With these set low you are then ready to PP how you want.If you shoot in Jpeg it also gives a good starting point for PP.
Using a third party Raw converter this does not apply.

Hope thismakes sence,enjoy the camera.

I only use Oly Viewer at this point & take JPEG & RAW. The times I hadn't noticed that Auto Gradation was on, I was glad to be able to go to the RAW file & just reselect Normal Gradation & lowered the grey noisy black areas (black suits at a wedding). I prefer to tweek the curves myself to bring up a bit of the shadow areas (at least it is adjustable then).