PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Photographer E5 Review

Roy Clarke
26th November 2010, 04:36 PM
If anyone has been unable to obtain Advanced Photographer to read E5 Review I have a pdf backup of the article, mail roy@telec.co.uk if interested in seeing it.

Cheers Roy

stevednp3
27th November 2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks for taking the time to email me Roy, that was a very intresting read

It seams that all reviewers are saming the same, that the e5 is a very good camera (scored 85/100 here) but its not much of an upgrade for e-3 or e-30 users and the price is not going to attract newcomers at all when you can buy a 7D for 400 less.

As there are now a few e5 owners here, did any of you upgrade from a e-30 or e-3 and think it was worth the money as an upgrade, as I want to upgrade from my e-30 in Jan *chr

PeterD
27th November 2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks for taking the time to email me Roy, that was a very intresting read

It seams that all reviewers are saming the same, that the e5 is a very good camera (scored 85/100 here) but its not much of an upgrade for e-3 or e-30 users and the price is not going to attract newcomers at all when you can buy a 7D for 400 less.

As there are now a few e5 owners here, did any of you upgrade from a e-30 or e-3 and think it was worth the money as an upgrade, as I want to upgrade from my e-30 in Jan *chr

Steve
I own the E500, E3 and now the E5. I still use all three cameras. Despite all the talk before the the availability of this camera to the general public of it merely being a consolidation and not a ground breaking new release, I have to say, try one and you will see that this talk was completely wrong.
I love my E3 but compared to it, this camera knocks spots off it. I have always envied some of the other badges for their versitility in shooting in light conditions I could never attempt with the E3. The E5 IQ is really good. It's not the number of pixels that count but the way they are used. Add to this the noise handling and just from these two points it is a major step up from the E3.
The menu system is now much more user friendly and the monitor resolution change has made Live View much more practical.
The movie mode works really well except for the fact that re-focussing does not take place when you zoom. This I would expect to be addressed with a future firmware change. As Ian has said to me, this is implemented in the pen so Olympus have the knowledge and I do not see this as a big issue.
Yes it is big and heavy but not exceptionally so when compared to the E3 which I have lugged around for 3 years.
As for breaking through into the Canikon market, this would be difficult in any case. People invest a lot of money in lens' and this would put off any potential convert and this, in a large part, drives brand loyalty (Olympus owners included!). Perhaps new entrants to the DSLR market will be attracted by the many recent reviews of the E5.

DerekW
28th November 2010, 01:36 PM
Peter - This is not what I want to hear or read. <g> The improved high ISO performance really tempts me and the movie feature for capturing the 5 second atmospheric action shots.

Only a few things stopping me from leaping in with the credit card, Apple support for the Raw format, being able to walk again and the price drop after the initial feeding frenzy.

Thanks for your comments

Greytop
28th November 2010, 03:05 PM
An excellent and balanced review, especially as Will Cheung is a big user/fan of Nikon equipment.

stevednp3
28th November 2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks Peter for taking the time to reply, that is exactly what I did want to hear, im planning to upgrade from my e-30 in january and I was concerned that I wouldn't see much of an upgrade.

I dont mind if it hasnt got many new features or higher megapixels (if it anit broke dont fix it) but as long as the IQ is worth the money then thats fine by me.

*chr

Greytop
28th November 2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks Peter for taking the time to reply, that is exactly what I did want to hear, im planning to upgrade from my e-30 in january and I was concerned that I wouldn't see much of an upgrade.

I dont mind if it hasnt got many new features or higher megapixels (if it anit broke dont fix it) but as long as the IQ is worth the money then thats fine by me.

*chr

Steve, I too would echo Peter's comments, my experience so far with the E-5 suggests it does deliver what Olympus claimed at the launch, namely excellent image quality coupled with quite exceptional detail and sharpness from the excellent Zuiko lenses.
I certainly like my E-30 and shall be keeping it as a backup but given my experience with the E-5 thus far I can say that sadly I can't see me using it with any regularity.

sapper
3rd December 2010, 10:54 AM
Steve
I own the E500, E3 and now the E5. I still use all three cameras. Despite all the talk before the the availability of this camera to the general public of it merely being a consolidation and not a ground breaking new release, I have to say, try one and you will see that this talk was completely wrong.
I love my E3 but compared to it, this camera knocks spots off it. I have always envied some of the other badges for their versitility in shooting in light conditions I could never attempt with the E3. The E5 IQ is really good. It's not the number of pixels that count but the way they are used. Add to this the noise handling and just from these two points it is a major step up from the E3.
The menu system is now much more user friendly and the monitor resolution change has made Live View much more practical.
The movie mode works really well except for the fact that re-focussing does not take place when you zoom. This I would expect to be addressed with a future firmware change. As Ian has said to me, this is implemented in the pen so Olympus have the knowledge and I do not see this as a big issue.
Yes it is big and heavy but not exceptionally so when compared to the E3 which I have lugged around for 3 years.
As for breaking through into the Canikon market, this would be difficult in any case. People invest a lot of money in lens' and this would put off any potential convert and this, in a large part, drives brand loyalty (Olympus owners included!). Perhaps new entrants to the DSLR market will be attracted by the many recent reviews of the E5.

Thanks for this Peter.
I have been looking at the Pano GH2 or the E30 but am seriously considering an E5 after reading your post.

theMusicMan
3rd December 2010, 11:30 AM
I am with Steve here... the IQ from the E5 that I have seen in images posted here and elsewhere is astonishing.

I can't wait to upgrade mine next year.

andym
3rd December 2010, 11:53 AM
*chrMight be interesting to rerun the poll "Will you buy an E5".At that time I answered wait for the reviews.
When I saw some early results and then SRS had them in stock at 1449.00 I just couldn't help myself.Didn't mean to get one until next year but what the hell.

I all Huw(Greytops) fault if he hadn't posted SRS now in stock I might not have been tempted,but glad I was*chr;)*yes

If my wife find your address your for it.*smash

StephenL
3rd December 2010, 12:21 PM
I read the article and was well impressed, if not envious. I respect Will's capabilities as a photographer. As he said, it's just the price (especially after the tax man has just stung me hard).

Wreckdiver
3rd December 2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the review Roy, much appreciated *chr

Steve