PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Camera vs Profesional. Murrayfield Policy

scanny
8th March 2008, 02:12 AM
Hi

http://www.scottishrugby.org/sru/index.cfm?54A768BC-F548-19E1-B1A3-6135A2EC4946

Im off to murrayfield today for the visit of the calcuta cup and i was having a last minute browse at the schedule and found an intresting Q and A. They state as a response to "Can I Bring a Camera" that "Yes, pocked sized cameras are permitted however large professional cameras are not". At in excess of £100 a ticket i would want to capture memories of the game and the banking of the ground gives good vantage.

Common sence comes into it and the last time i was there (october for the all blacks) there were 20+ people around me all with dslr's taking photos and i was also. Most had up to 200mm tele zooms and they went largely un noticed. I can see that there could be some friction if you paid your ticket, and then turn up with a dslr and they refuse you access with it. The wording is vague and could lead to questoning what exactly is a large proffesional camera size. Im pretty sure if you were discreet about it there would be no problem however for someone unluckily enough with an e410 or even bridge camera, who could fit it in their pocket potentially being refused acces with it, i would certainly feel very disgruntled and would feel that the policy was far too open to personal interpretation.

The only thing ill have in my pockets are pints that i cant carry so i hope to enjoy the game.

Some food for thought.

PeterD
8th March 2008, 03:45 AM
I think this rule exists for two reasons:

1. To ensure safety by preventing the use of cameras using mechanical support (tripods/bipods). If this is the case then a statement that only hand-held cameras are permitted would have been clearer.

2. To ensure that any commercial gain from use of images from the game is only by those that have paid for the privilege. Again, this could be clarified by saying so.

PeterD

theMusicMan
8th March 2008, 07:14 AM
So Peter, ar you saying that to be a tog at such a game one has to pay for this...?

sapper
8th March 2008, 08:36 AM
Hi

http://www.scottishrugby.org/sru/index.cfm?54A768BC-F548-19E1-B1A3-6135A2EC4946

Im off to murrayfield today for the visit of the calcuta cup and i was having a last minute browse at the schedule and found an intresting Q and A. They state as a response to "Can I Bring a Camera" that "Yes, pocked sized cameras are permitted however large professional cameras are not". At in excess of 100 a ticket i would want to capture memories of the game and the banking of the ground gives good vantage.

Common sence comes into it and the last time i was there (october for the all blacks) there were 20+ people around me all with dslr's taking photos and i was also. Most had up to 200mm tele zooms and they went largely un noticed. I can see that there could be some friction if you paid your ticket, and then turn up with a dslr and they refuse you access with it. The wording is vague and could lead to questoning what exactly is a large proffesional camera size. Im pretty sure if you were discreet about it there would be no problem however for someone unluckily enough with an e410 or even bridge camera, who could fit it in their pocket potentially being refused acces with it, i would certainly feel very disgruntled and would feel that the policy was far too open to personal interpretation.

The only thing ill have in my pockets are pints that i cant carry so i hope to enjoy the game.

Some food for thought.

At 100 a ticket I would want to be able to take and use my E-3 + 50-200mm.
Last year I went to the motor show on free tickets on which said no cameras allowed. S I left my gear in the car and then saw loads of people using phones, dslrs Etc, I was a bit miffed.

Dave.

photonutter
8th March 2008, 09:36 AM
I had a similar experience a couple of years age at Flamingoland Holiday homes and Theme Park. At the time I was using a Fujifilm S9500, not exactly a top of the range camera, but does look like a serious piece of equipment. No trouble at all around the zoo and theme park, where I wasn't approached a single time all week long, and a great place for candids, action and animal shots.

However when it came to the nightime shows held in the bars and clubs, I was asked not to take any photographs during the performances, it had been decided by the management. This was early on in the weeks stay there so thought it may be best not to argue, but as I sat there watching there were litteraly dozens of others snapping away with point and shoots or even handycams recording the whole show, without so much as a blink of an eyelid.
Just makes you wonder what is going on in these peoples heads.

PeterD
8th March 2008, 10:12 AM
So Peter, ar you saying that to be a tog at such a game one has to pay for this...?

These are my thoughts. These days every event, sport or otherwise, seems to rely or encourage sponsorship of some kind. Including the rights for sponsors to publish material of the event. Sponsors would only come forward if their rights were protected. This I think is a very clumsy way of providing such protection.

I cannot see any other reason for this restriction, can you? Professionals are likely to bring in camera support equipment to ensure their long lenses provide good quality, saleable, images. A member of joe public would be likely to bring just their cameras. I think this is how they would make their judgement when you arrive at the event.

PeterD

E-P1 fan
8th March 2008, 09:04 PM
Hope you had an E-1 with you scanny - ie something splashproof.
Good result but a dire game :(

mike_j
8th March 2008, 09:29 PM
This sort of policy - no professional cameras - is quite common and applied in a fairly arbitrary way. There is an owl refuge near here which banned my old rangefinder camera with 35mm lens and no flash but allows a bridge camera with x12 zoom and built in flash and video functions.

It's all in the luck of the draw I suppose.

scanny
8th March 2008, 09:53 PM
What a day, excelent atmoshphere and talk about nerves. You know when you know you should take a camera but dont, yeah one of those days. I seen countless people sporting cannon and pentax dslr's hanging from their necks. The view over edinburgh from my seat was spectacular and the sunshine caugth it excellently. Olympus had their name splattered on the advertising boards all game, a reminder that i should have taken it!