PDA

View Full Version : E-5 review at Ephotozine

Greytop
22nd November 2010, 11:34 PM
A very positive review by John Riley over at Ephotozine http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Olympus-E5-15076

John Riley is a well respected photographer who contributes to Ephotozine and Pentax User magazines. He also happens to be a long standing moderator for the Pentax User forum.

Graham_of_Rainham
23rd November 2010, 12:41 AM
In much the same way as I don't watch Strictly, X factor or whatever, I've stopped looking at many of these "reviews", mainly because of the subjectivity of the evaluation.

Whereas with the 100m freestyle race where the timing and photo finish is the objective assessment of who has won and is best, these reviews are akin to the synchronized swimming, where style outways substance.

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on an E-5 for an hour or so and fitted my 14-35 to it, went off and used it in the way that I use a camera. I then took the RAW images home and saw that they were, as I expected they would be, excellent in terms of image quality.

I see so many cameras for sale on Ebay, where people buy them and then simply don't get on with them. One of the key factors for me in determining the quality of a system is it's ease of use. No point having the best lens ever made, if when you press the button, the body doesn't do exactly what you expect it to do. The E-5 did, in the same way the E-3 does, and while there are minor differences, there is nothing that slowed down my use of the camera. I have used (quite extensively) other systems and have a real appreciation of the quality that they produce. However when it came to spending my own hard earned, I simply could not find better value for money in a system that produces such high quality, as I have in the Olympus E-Series.

One thing this review did get right (for me) is the comment on Price. I'm looking forward to the January Sales :D

Melaka
23rd November 2010, 07:43 AM
His comments on white balance are interesting and not much different from what I find with the E3. Still no sign of my E5 from SRS!

Greytop
23rd November 2010, 03:48 PM
His comments on white balance are interesting and not much different from what I find with the E3. Still no sign of my E5 from SRS!

SRS are showing 'in stock' today.

Ulfric M Douglas
23rd November 2010, 06:42 PM
Graham's review is a little more succinct ;... there is nothing that slowed down my use of the camera.
*chr