PDA

View Full Version : Flash sync speed

Radar
21st November 2010, 10:33 PM
I read everywhere that fastet shutter I can use with a flash is 1/180sec. This is also the limit I can adjust the camera to when I use hotshoe flash. But, when I'm using off-camera flash with my iShoot's I can easily sync on 1/250sec without a black stripe in the bottom. Can anyone help me explaining why?

theMusicMan
21st November 2010, 10:48 PM
The E3 can flash sync up to 1/250th of a second is the reason why, Radar.

If you're shooting with FP on-camera flash with the FL50 or (I think) the FL36, you can also shoot at much faster shutter speeds.

Wreckdiver
21st November 2010, 11:01 PM
I think the minimum exposure durations when using on hotshoe flashes are a bit on the cautious side.

The E-3 is quoted at being 1/250s but I can shoot at 1/320s without the "black band".

Steve

Radar
21st November 2010, 11:01 PM
I'm not using FP. Just normal manual setting.

photo_owl
22nd November 2010, 04:53 PM
wot Steve said...

Radar
22nd November 2010, 05:06 PM
Must be. Well... Good to have 1/250sec now and then even if it's only with triggers.

Wreckdiver
22nd November 2010, 06:46 PM
Just an overview, I hope this isn't trying to teach you to suck eggs.

When you put a compatible flash (Fl-36 (R) or Fl-50 (R)) on an Olympus SLR the camera recognises the flash and limits the minium exposure time (I don't like the term "shutter speed") to 1/180s (in your case) or around 1/250s so as to prevent the "black bar". When you use an off camera flash (as you are doing with the iShoot) then the camera doesn't "see" the flash and hence you can set whatever duration you like. Get it too short and you will get the "black bar".

So when you use off camera flash you can experiment to see just how far you can safely go. As I mention in my post above I have found that my E-3 will go to 1/320s. Your camera is restricted to 1/180s when a compatible flash is on the hotshoe and as you have found you can go to 1/250s. As I say, I think Olympus are just playing safe by quoting 1/180s to guarantee that all cameras will meet this value. You can usually push things a little.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Ian
23rd November 2010, 08:59 AM
And you can use FP (Focal Plane) mode that allows you to set any shutter speed, although the effective power of the flash (brightness) is reduced.

Ian

Radar
23rd November 2010, 04:05 PM
I'll just go for the explanation that Oly have been giving a nymber for flash-sync to be sure the black line don't appear. But I still use 1/250sec with off-camera flash.