PDA

View Full Version : E5 with Sigma 150 APO DG Macro HSM

PeterD
17th November 2010, 02:00 AM
Well, at long last I have managed to get a few images with the Macro lens. The delay has been due to lack of sufficient time and, thanks Olympus, the availability of the E5 AFTER the best opportunities of the year have passed.

I had to dig the lens out of storage, brush off the cobwebs (only joking:D) and try and remember how to use it.

The cold weather of late has killed of most of the insects and flowers but I did manage to find some. I have posted the images on my site and they can be accessed from my E5 Test HOME Page. (http://peterd-2009.smugmug.com/Test-Images/Olympus-E5-Tests/14609316_v3e24)

I am finding that the lack of Adobe Camera RAW for the E5 is getting to be a source of irritation. Editing jpg files is nowhere near the fun of dealing with RAW files and the file size you start with is about 1/2 to 1/3 the RAW file size. This gives you a measure of the lack of flexibility.

Sample image:

http://peterd-2009.smugmug.com/Test-Images/E5-Test-with-Sigma-150mm-Macro/PB167693/1093537190_GUwmW-XL-1.jpg

I chose the above subject because of the very fine tendrils and was pleased to see these faithfully re-produced in the image. I have enabled visitors to view full size images, none of which have been cropped, on my website.

If I get some time later today, I shall take some more with the macro lens.

From what I have seen so far, Olympus have made a great job of extracting the potential from whatever lens you fit, Zuiko and, in my case, Sigma.

Comments welcome as always.

Zuiko
17th November 2010, 02:53 AM
Thanks for putting the originals on your site, Peter. You're certainly getting plenty of detail and sharpness! Must be frustrating about ACR, why don't camera manufacturers liase with Adobe to synchronize releases? Still, just think what you'll get from that camera once you start using raw files! :D

PeterD
17th November 2010, 03:34 AM
Thanks for putting the originals on your site, Peter. You're certainly getting plenty of detail and sharpness! Must be frustrating about ACR, why don't camera manufacturers liase with Adobe to synchronize releases? Still, just think what you'll get from that camera once you start using raw files! :D

Good morning John

Thanks for your reply and comments. The trouble with wildlife shooting is that you just cannot come up with a preset formulae that will suit all images. I really get annoyed with Adobe taking my images and applying a ridiculous preset to them. This happened with the upgrade to Lightroom 3. The first task is always to remove ALL the presets and start again. This is another reason I really NEED the ACR to include the E5 - it is not so easy to do this with jpg files. Still, I hope it will not be long now.

Melaka
17th November 2010, 06:59 AM
At least you've got your E5. SRS still have no delivery date for the next batch.

PeterD
17th November 2010, 08:47 AM
At least you've got your E5. SRS still have no delivery date for the next batch.

Hi David,
As I recall a similar problem happened at the E3 launch. It would seem that Olympus have mis-calculated the demand.

Greytop
17th November 2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks again for taking the time show us the Sigma 150 and E-5 combination at work. These images cement my feeling that the E-5 will fit well with my needs.

PeterD
17th November 2010, 11:07 AM
Thanks again for taking the time show us the Sigma 150 and E-5 combination at work. These images cement my feeling that the E-5 will fit well with my needs.

Thanks for your reply Huw - I apologise for it taking so long to get round to showing this combination.

My overall impression is that this camera rightly takes its place among the Canons and Nikons at a price that is cheap compared to its direct competitors. The fact that the very effective IS is built into the body adds further to the value for money the E5 represents - no need to buy image stabilsed lenses. This has camera has done what the E3 set out to prove and Olympus would be unwise to discontinue the E series 4/3 range.

Dick Bowman
17th November 2010, 12:18 PM
Hi David,
As I recall a similar problem happened at the E3 launch. It would seem that Olympus have mis-calculated the demand.

I don't think it's miscalculation - more likely a manipulation of supply to try and make sure that retail prices are maintained (I recall reading something to this effect a little while ago).

Ross the fiddler
17th November 2010, 12:26 PM
I love the detail with the E5 & that lens. I was wondering how much more detail would be extracted with that lens compared to the E30. The E5 will be the body I hope to get later on if Olympus hasn't brought out something better when I'm ready.

Thanks for showing us.

OlyPaul
17th November 2010, 12:35 PM

My favourite Raw software (silkypix) has supported the E-5 since the 11th Nov, now I just need a E-5 to go with it.;)

Very nice quality from that Sigma 150mm lens Peter.:)

PeterD
17th November 2010, 01:44 PM
I don't think it's miscalculation - more likely a manipulation of supply to try and make sure that retail prices are maintained (I recall reading something to this effect a little while ago).

Thanks Dick. You may be quite right but it would be a dangerous tactic for a manufacturer to employ unless they keep a good stock behind them. Customer loyalty could be severely affected if there is too much delay in replenishing stocks at the retailers.

I love the detail with the E5 & that lens. I was wondering how much more detail would be extracted with that lens compared to the E30. The E5 will be the body I hope to get later on if Olympus hasn't brought out something better when I'm ready.

Thanks for showing us.

I have been getting really good results with this lens on the E3 however, these are a step improvement on that.

My favourite Raw software (silkypix) has supported the E-5 since the 11th Nov, now I just need a E-5 to go with it.;)

Very nice quality from that Sigma 150mm lens Peter.:)

Thanks Paul for the tip. I have downloaded a trial version of SilkyPix and had the pleasure of seeing the RAW file output. I cannot save the images with the trial software so I shall have to wait for Adobe. It has given me even more confidence that working on the RAW files will produce an even better final image than the jpg files.

edmund473
17th November 2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the test photos with the E5 Peter also the Video I am very impressed with the PQ. JohnR.

PeterD
17th November 2010, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the test photos with the E5 Peter also the Video I am very impressed with the PQ. JohnR.

Thank you for your comments. I have enjoyed trying things out and sharing the results. For the time being, I shall continue to give full size access to the images from the E5.
The video would have come out better with the camea properly fixed on a tripod. My plan is to use this function at the Tern nesting site (the oysterbeds Hayling Island) as it will be wonderful to capture the behaviours on Video. I have seen the action but only been able to capure it on still images. I would like to show you the whole picture of what goes on.