PDA

View Full Version : What was your first SLR

andym
7th March 2008, 11:05 AM
Mine was an Praktica Nova1.It was brought my father for us both to use in I think 1970.I believe it was £24.00.
As I remember it was bigger then the E3 but not as heavy.It got passed on to a relative and then disappeared.

Jim
7th March 2008, 11:09 AM
Can't remember the exact model but mine to was a Praktica, followed by a Yashica. But this was mid to late 80's.

Andrew Riddell
7th March 2008, 11:13 AM
Moved from a Zorki (Russian Leica-clone rangefinder) to a Minolta SRT 101 in the early 70s.

Andrew

Steve Lane
7th March 2008, 11:20 AM
Zenit E back in 1980! This was a steel brick of a camera that taught me loads about metering, aperture values etc. If I recall correctly, it had a 50mm lens and I later purchased a used 135mm lens. The camera finally jammed up whilst I was on holiday in 1982, so I decided something more 'modern' was in order.

I had settled on a Pentax MX SLR, but after looking at one I did not like it. It was then that I saw the OM1n and new this was the camera for me. I am still using it today, although I must admit I only put around one or two rolls of film through it a year. It still produces great slides and looks a real classic!

Scapula Memory
7th March 2008, 11:25 AM
Mine was the OM10. I remember the salesman telling me I could have the manual adapter as a freebie as normally there was an extra charge. Still not sure if he was telling the truth :)

ianc
7th March 2008, 11:28 AM
My first SLR was a Zenit B. It featured no light meter, manual stopdown aperture and shutter speeds from 1/30th to 1/500th sec. It weighed a ton and was the most unreliable piece of kit I have ever owned. Having said all that the 58mm f2 lens it came with was incredibly sharp and when it was working I managed to get some great results from it. The other great thing about starting with a camera which did nothing for you is that you have to learn the principals of photography very quickly.

Ian C.

ianc
7th March 2008, 11:31 AM
Mine was the OM10. I remember the salesman telling me I could have the manual adapter as a freebie as normally there was an extra charge. Still not sure if he was telling the truth :)

The salesman was telling you the truth, don't you know salesmen never lie. If memory serves me correctly the manual adapter sold for about 25.

Ian C.

theMusicMan
7th March 2008, 11:32 AM
Like John, mine was also the Olympus OM-10. However, I purchased the manual adapter...:)

andym
7th March 2008, 11:33 AM
My first SLR was a Zenit B. It featured no light meter, manual stopdown aperture and shutter speeds from 1/30th to 1/500th sec. It weighed a ton and was the most unreliable piece of kit I have ever owned. Having said all that the 58mm f2 lens it came with was incredibly sharp and when it was working I managed to get some great results from it. The other great thing about starting with a camera which did nothing for you is that you have to learn the principals of photography very quickly.

Ian C.

Yes I agree,my Praktica had no light metering at all.I used to do everything by guess work.It's amazing how quickly you get used to what exposure and F stop to use without a meter.
We are probably spoiled nowadays.

E-P1 fan
7th March 2008, 11:34 AM
Like half the world my first slr was the infamous Zenit B

http://licm.org.uk/scans/ZenitB.gif

followed closely after by a Zenit E

http://www.rus-camera.com/camera/small/zenit-e_olimp_front_a.jpg

DerekC
7th March 2008, 11:51 AM
My first SLR was a Fujica (as there were called in the early 80's) STX-1. A good camera to start with a bit more advanced than the Zenith. Lack of lens was the main problem. I part exchanged it for a OM20 and haven't owned any other make camera since.

Derek C

DerekW
7th March 2008, 11:52 AM
Another Praktica user from 1968 to 1974 then Minolta SRT 303s then Minolta X700s.

dbutch
7th March 2008, 11:54 AM
My Dad had a Praktica LTL that I played with a bit, but my 1st SLR was a OM1 that I spent all my summer holiday earnings on! must of been about 1977

Dave

andym
7th March 2008, 12:03 PM
Just looked on a Praktica fan site and I think I had the price wrong.It quotes 50.00 for the Nova1 with the Zeiss Tessar lens I had.This was probably quite a lot on money in those days.
As I remember I paid 139.00 for my OM1 in 1979 with the 50mm F1.8 lens.

ndl0071
7th March 2008, 12:10 PM
OK I admit it, my first SLR was also a Praktica the model was the LB2, if my memory serves me correctly I bought it second hand from the City Camera Exchange at Canon Street Station in London, it would have been the late 70's. No idea how much it cost though as my mum bought it for me:) I no longer have it as it was traded in about 15 years ago when I upgraded to a Ca***!! (Sorry)

My dad had a Praktica LTL which I still have.

E-P1 fan
7th March 2008, 12:12 PM
I bought it second hand from the City Camera Exchange at Canon Street Station in London, it would have been the late 70's.

Small world - I bought a Konica Autoreflex from there and a Weston V :)

PeterD
7th March 2008, 01:10 PM
Asahi Pentax Spotmatic in 1967 for the equivalent of 200 in old money:eek:. Bought in Singapore so not subjected to UK Purchase Tax as it was then:rolleyes:.

Still have it as it has little residual value:(. Still, it served me well mainly with colour slides.

PeterD

snaarman
7th March 2008, 01:16 PM
First one I used was my dad's Zenit 3m in the early '60s.

First one I owned was the Practica L in 1970, plus a hand held light meter.

Best (film) SLR I owned was the Nikon FE2. A minor classic....

Aaaah :-)

P

Xpres
7th March 2008, 01:24 PM
Zenit EM in 1980 - I still have it and still use the lens.

OlyFlyer
7th March 2008, 01:25 PM
Zenit E back in 1980! Are you sure about the year? I don't know for how long they made that camera, I also started with the Zenit E but was in 1970.

Xpres
7th March 2008, 01:31 PM
Are you sure about the year? I don't know for how long they made that camera, I also started with the Zenit E but was in 1970

they were still around in 1980. the first two numbers of the serial no. are the year it was made.

Steve Lane
7th March 2008, 01:40 PM
Are you sure about the year? I don't know for how long they made that camera, I also started with the Zenit E but was in 1970.

Yep...It was a few years old and a bit unreliable when I aquired it.

Graham_of_Rainham
7th March 2008, 02:49 PM
OM10 when it first came out. It has travelled the world with me and taken many thousands of pictures. Gave it to a friend a few weeks ago when his OM2SP failed. Still have another Mint OM10 for nostalgic reasons (I think they are Brilliant) :)

I still shoot slides with my OM system and in some ways prefer it :o

Solar
7th March 2008, 02:54 PM
Minolta 7000 was my first...

shenstone
7th March 2008, 04:01 PM
Zenit E back in 1980! This was a steel brick of a camera that taught me loads about metering, aperture values etc. If I recall correctly, it had a 50mm lens and I later purchased a used 135mm lens. The camera finally jammed up whilst I was on holiday in 1982, so I decided something more 'modern' was in order.

I had settled on a Pentax MX SLR, but after looking at one I did not like it. It was then that I saw the OM1n and new this was the camera for me. I am still using it today, although I must admit I only put around one or two rolls of film through it a year. It still produces great slides and looks a real classic!

Hey Up the russians !!!

I was much more advanced .. I had the EM in about 1980 and used the 50 and then 135 lenses - I had aperture step down -- mucho advanced !:rolleyes:

http://www.rolandandcaroline.co.uk/zenitem/zenitem.html

I once saw someone drop one off Malham Cove in Yorkshire 260 foot onto solid limestone - it did not survive but it did break a boulder in 1/2!

I then went to the XP 12 which had (wait for it ... Exposure meter: Built-in CdS cell with L.E.D. indicators in the viewfinder.)

Then into Pentax and a number of P30's (all killed in caves) and then my MZ-5 which was a DARN fine camera and I've still got it with an MZ10 as as backup camera.

Sigh ...

Regards
Andy

Jim Ford
7th March 2008, 06:22 PM
Mine was the first model Zenit that came into the country in the middle 60s - before they put the 3M on it. It had a non-instant return mirror - you had to re-cock the shutter to get the mirror down. The lens was a preset 58mm f2.0 which was a copy of the pre-war Zeiss Biotar. I believe the was made on the Zeiss machinery that the Russians captured. It was solid, reliable and took wonderfully sharp pictures. I subsequently bought a 37mm Mir, 135 Jupiter and 500mm MTO mirror lens for it.

These early Zenits, before the 'E' and 'B', had a legendary reputation for ruggedness and reliablity.

Jim

shenstone
7th March 2008, 06:37 PM
Mine was the first model Zenit that came into the country in the middle 60s - before they put the 3M on it. It had a non-instant return mirror - you had to re-cock the shutter to get the mirror down. The lens was a preset 58mm f2.0 which was a copy of the pre-war Zeiss Biotar. I believe the was made on the Zeiss machinery that the Russians captured. It was solid, reliable and took wonderfully sharp pictures. I subsequently bought a 37mm Mir, 135 Jupiter and 500mm MTO mirror lens for it.

These early Zenits, before the 'E' and 'B', had a legendary reputation for ruggedness and reliablity.

Jim

I'm glad Jim is here ... I feel young !;)

CaptainD
7th March 2008, 06:40 PM
Like many others mine was a Zenit B, I never did save up enough to get the Zenit E.

Then I contracted a disease that to this day has no known cure it seems. Olympus camera syndrome is still with me but if I had never bought that OM-1 my life could be very different now!

Cheers

:eek::eek: Chris :eek::eek:

knikki
7th March 2008, 06:45 PM
Like most of the people on here I started with a Zenith EM.

My next camera was a bit of a jump an Olympus OM4 + 35mm F2 lens. Still got and still use it.

sanke
7th March 2008, 06:57 PM
I to had a Praktica the MTL-3 & moved up to the BC -1 the first Praktica with bayonet fit lenses,(I think ).
:eek:Ho and I still have them.
Karl

Invicta
7th March 2008, 07:22 PM
My first camera was also a Praktica MTL-3. Press a button to stop down and line up a needle to set exposure. Split screen for manual focusing.

How things have changed...

ianc
7th March 2008, 07:26 PM
My first camera was also a Praktica MTL-3. Press a button to stop down and line up a needle to set exposure. Split screen for manual focusing.

How things have changed...

Exposure meter AND spilt screen BLOODY LUXURY.:D

Ian C.

yorky
7th March 2008, 07:37 PM
My first camera was an Ensign Commando, good post war camera but not very strong. Then the ubiquitus Fed, which I soon changed for a Leica 3G, this in turn went to an M3 with a 35mm lens plus an old 50mm and a 90 mm Elmar. Not a bad set up and I enjoyed taking them fell walking but eventually I went in for a Minolta XG2. Boy did that camera earn me some money. It was a very reliable camera with a superb 28 mm lens. Which is one of the reasons why I think Sony will be a big force to reckon with in the future, Minolta's were superb! However, I couldn't afford film much so 20 years later I started with a 1.5 meg Minolta which was ahead of its time. I went on to a Nikon 5600 and still use some of the 5 meg piccies I took with it and its succesor the 8800. I think to date the best digi was in many ways the 8800, it did every thing right apart from being noisy and a slow shutter release, it was light and one good lens made it portable. Sure I love the Oly but with a few lenses to lug about it is not all that convenient as was the Nikon prosumers

Rod Souter
7th March 2008, 08:02 PM
My first SLR Olympus OM1 with f1.8 50mm, followed by f3.5 28mm, then the f4 75/150mm and other oly lenses all of which I still have.

DTD
7th March 2008, 08:06 PM
My dad had a Praktica LTL I used to use then an OM2, then OM1s.

IanV
7th March 2008, 09:39 PM
Howdy,
First SLR was Dad's Praktica MTL-5 (which I still have) with a selection of petacon's & Sigma's.

My first camera, that I had almost forgotten about, was a simple Hamimex 110 that I took loads of pictures with. I only seem to remember the late seventies and early eighties in shades of brown and green. It must have been the Anorak and tank-top that I was wearing. :)

IanV

R MacE
7th March 2008, 10:05 PM
My 1st SLR was an OM10 bought new, followed by various used OM's. My 2nd New SLR was a D70, 3rd an E-1, 4th an E-3.

BigD
7th March 2008, 10:23 PM
dare i say it canon 350d:D i only sold is as it never got used at the time so it felt like a waste of money :rolleyes:.

Ijay37
7th March 2008, 10:23 PM
Not strictly SLR but my first proper camera was a Leica 111F with Elmar 50mm F2.8 lens the camera was about 30yrs old and in perfect condition this was in 1960 at RAF Changi Singapura I later sold it due to a lack of Tiger beer money. Big mistake, how I wish I had kept it.
John

griffljg
8th March 2008, 08:38 AM
The first SLR that I used was a Ricoh that my father borrowed from work in the late 1970's.

The first SLR that I owned was an Olympus OM2n which I bought not long after they were released towards the end of 1980. The OM2 had been released a bit before that.

An interesting thing to note is that the OM2n cost the same proportion of a first year engineering graduate's salary in 1980 as what an Olympus E-3 does today.

My first digital SLR was an Olympus E-300 and my second is an Olympus E-3.

E-P1 fan
8th March 2008, 08:51 AM
It is instructive how many of us started with the products of the old Iron Curtain - Zenit, Practica etc - not to mention Zorki, Lubitel and Fed :)

Anyone ever had a big Kiev?

R MacE
8th March 2008, 10:20 AM
Yeah, an 88 but I don't use it so it's going to be sold I guess.

http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif
http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif

steverh
8th March 2008, 10:31 AM
I had a Kiev but it was a copy of the pre-war Zeiss Contax rangefinder camera! Never found any lenses for it so migrated to a Zorki (Leica screw mount copy).

First SLR was a Fujica ST605 (?), not a bad camera. First really GOOD camera was a Minolta X-700 SLR, which I got some really nice pictures with. Minolta lenses were much underrated I think. I still have it plus a few lenses.

Then came a Contax G-2 plus lenses - fantastic camera, sadly discontinued - amazing Zeiss lenses - I always liked rangefinder cameras. Still have it and it gets used for slides.

I dallied with a Minolta Dimage 7 before falling for the E-1...

Rawcoll
8th March 2008, 10:46 AM
Gosh, this takes me back many a year.:rolleyes:

My first SLR, bought as an impoverished student, was a Kowa SE, a fixed lens beast with a mirror slap that the whole world could hear!

My very first camera was a large plastic affair that was won at Pinner fair. It served me well though, and the 2.25" negs started me on the road to b/w printing (then contact prints only). After that I upgraded to an Agfa Isolette, a hand-me-down from my brother. My first 35mm was a Halina 35X, I think it was.

How things have changed.

Ian

nad
8th March 2008, 10:53 AM
My first SLR was a Canon TX bought in the mid 70s. In 78 i sold it and bought at OM-1 with 35/2.8 and 100/2.8. It's still working and served me well until the E-500 arrived.

niels

snaarman
8th March 2008, 12:28 PM
It is instructive how many of us started with the products of the old Iron Curtain - Zenit, Practica etc - not to mention Zorki, Lubitel and Fed :)

Anyone ever had a big Kiev?

Yes, I noticed that four thirds of us have owned Zenit/Prakticas - should we form a club? :-)

A few years back when I had connections with the local Jessops I bought a Bronica ETRSi and 3 lenses. I felt I should try medium format, prove myself a man and all that.

What a beast!! Built like a tank, fantastic quality, incredibly heavy - but oh so noisy.. The "Ger-Clack" when you fired the shutter demolished nearby buildings, scared all the local wildlife away and made frail ladies faint :D

Now I have an E-400 in my pocket. Ridiculous to the sublime I think

Pete

David M
8th March 2008, 12:33 PM
Zenit E in 74 followed by an OM1 in 76. In those days equipment prices used to go up. There was a price increase but I got the OM1 body a the pre-increase price and then had to save for a lens to go on it.

When Olympus introduced the OM1 I said I'd never use/own one due to the shutter speed dial being around the lens throat. But as soon as I looked through one I had to have one. That viewfinder was something else in the 70's.

andym
8th March 2008, 12:43 PM
Zenit E in 74 followed by an OM1 in 76. In those days equipment prices used to go up. There was a price increase but I got the OM1 body a the pre-increase price and then had to save for a lens to go on it.

When Olympus introduced the OM1 I said I'd never use/own one due to the shutter speed dial being around the lens throat. But as soon as I looked through one I had to have one. That viewfinder was something else in the 70's.

One of the things that I really liked about the OM1 was the shutter speed adjustment being round the barrel of the lens.I just felt right to me.

David M
8th March 2008, 01:12 PM
One of the things that I really liked about the OM1 was the shutter speed adjustment being round the barrel of the lens.I just felt right to me.

It felt right to me once I tried the camera.

I seem to think I got the impression it was difficult to adjust to from a magazine review before I'd tried the camera myself.

E-P1 fan
8th March 2008, 02:31 PM
Prior to the Zenit I had a Halina Paulette Electric!!!! Made in Australia I believe :) Good little rangefinder

wombat1953
8th March 2008, 05:21 PM
My First SLR was a Practica L, No luxury of a light meter:)
Must have had nearly every make of SLR over the years including the OM10, and even an OM101, Miranda's remember them. Showing my age I'm afraid:)
What goes around comes around now have an E510 & E3.
And I've noticed too.... So many ex Zenit & Practica users here, must be something in the Genes.... :)

JohnGG
9th March 2008, 12:06 AM
The first I held was an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic. The first I used was my Dad's Zenit E. The first I bought for myself was an Exakta RTL1000 (with Zeiss Pancolar 50mm f/1.8 I think) purchased in about 1972. I never got around to buying more lenses for it so, in about 1980, I got an OM10 with 50mm f/1.8, 28mm f/3.5 and 200mm f/4.0 . Compared to the Exakta the results were outstanding. I still have the 200mm which is a cracking lens.

Cheers,

JohnGG

maccabeej
9th March 2008, 10:37 AM
In 1969 I traded in an Agfa Silette for a second hand Minolta - I think SR1.
I was just about to fly out to Ecuador where my parents were living for the summer having finished at Tech College. One week after I arrived my Father took me on a trip that took in Buenos Aires, Commodoro Rivadavia and the Pampas of Southern Argentina. The latter was cold windy and inhospitable. We lived in a hotel in the middle of nowhere with demolished plate glass frontage and only a trickle of cold water. We did not bathe or shave and I followed my father around while he was troubleshooting Seismic equipment. I saw some amazing sights on this trip. So why do I not post them. The camera jammed while taking a pic out of the plane window on the flight from Quito to BA!!!!!!:mad:

It was anothe three years before I bought a Zenith E but the exciting travel with my family was over by then.

Jim

Jim Ford
9th March 2008, 11:13 AM
The first I held was an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic.

IIRC the advertising slogan at the time was 'Just hold a Pentax'!

Jim

mike_j
9th March 2008, 01:38 PM
Pentax Spotmatic, and I still have one, though not the original.

I went to a camera fair today and looked through several old SLRs - I think we forget how wonderful the viewfinders were in the days of large aperture standard lenses and fully silvered mirrors and real pentaprisms (modern mirrors let quite a lot of light through for metering and autofocus). The OM1.OM2s were particularly impressive.

PeterD
9th March 2008, 01:55 PM
Pentax Spotmatic, and I still have one, though not the original.

I went to a camera fair today and looked through several old SLRs - I think we forget how wonderful the viewfinders were in the days of large aperture standard lenses and fully silvered mirrors and real pentaprisms (modern mirrors let quite a lot of light through for metering and autofocus). The OM1.OM2s were particularly impressive.

Wow, someone else with a Spotmatic:D. Beautiful camera and superb lens.

See image below

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Pentax_Spotmatic.jpg

PeterD

E-P1 fan
9th March 2008, 02:21 PM
Not my first SLR but one of my early ones

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:yVeF4YpTDATL4M:http://image.xitek.com/forum/200609/81/8193/8193_1158863249.jpg

http://www.mediajoy.com/en/cla_came/pentax_sv/

E-P1 fan
9th March 2008, 02:23 PM
Nice write-up on the Autoreflex T in the current AP.

I had an Autoreflex A and loved the Hexanons and Hexars.

Gin Monster
14th March 2008, 12:58 PM
Olympus E-1 :)

E-P1 fan
14th March 2008, 01:08 PM
A man with style - well done GM :)

mike_j
14th March 2008, 03:06 PM
Wow, someone else with a Spotmatic:D. Beautiful camera and superb lens.

PeterD

I bought this Spotmatic solely for the f1.4 Super Takumar lens which I use on my Oly e510 as a macro lens, often with the EX-25 or a reversing ring. Excellent results.

Cathal
21st August 2008, 07:09 PM
Leaving aside a Polaroid Instant 10 a relative gave me as a Christmas present in 1977 (which I could rarely afford to use!)... my first camera was a Ricoh KR10, bought as a present for me on 16th December 1981, from Foreman Cameras, in lower Abbey St, Dublin. 153 punts... rather a lot of cash back then, and I was spoilt, as most people had the much less expensive Zenith or Practica cameras. I still have it today, and will never part with it. It's sitting on my desk beside me as I write this.

I later bought an OM2 Spot Program, which I soon sold to get an OM4. I kept the OM4 for a few years, but one it exhibited the "battery drain of death" I sold it for a Pentax SFXn.

After a while, Nikon called and I built up a rather comprehensive system, culminating in two F5 bodies and a range of pro lenses. I sold one body to fund a foray into medium format with a Bronica SQa, though being honest never quite clicked with the square format. And anyhow, by then the D100 had arrived.

Now, I'm left with a D100 with two kit lenses, my Ricoh, and as of last week... an e510 twin lens kit, to which the 25mm pancake lens was added. (I didn't think the 520 justified the additional 100) Next up will be the 35mm macro, the 9-18mm zoom if it's priced right, and possibly an FL36. I'm hoping Olympus will announce a 12mm prime at Photokina, and a 100mm f2.8 would be sweet.

The attraction of the e510 and 4/3's format is light weight and reduced size. The kit lens combination has so far produced some stunning results for me, and quality / price ratio is also outstanding.

Fluffy
22nd August 2008, 12:04 AM
My first SLR was a match needle Minolta SRT-101. Nice solid camera, nice solid lenses. Eventually moved up to the XE7 (XE-1 in Europe?), a true beast with a heavy brass chassis. If you threw it at a wall, bet on the wall falling before the camera breaking. I was of course much stronger then. Used it a lot on the water (sailing, working commercially) and it held up. I think it still exists somewhere here. My first camera was Kodak Brownie box camera - 620 film. Still have that although the case is beat up.

I went through a couple of P&S both analog and digital before I got a 510 and now an E-330.

Steve

Zuiko
22nd August 2008, 02:00 AM
My SLR history is:

Zenit EM Proof that you can blame poor pictures on your camera. Best used for banging in nails and breaking hard core.

Practica MTL3 Basic and unrefined, but light years ahead of the Zenit for reliability. Could actually use it to take photographs!

Olympus OM1n High quality precision instrument in a totally different league to my previous cameras. Small but perfectly formed, a triumph of design that set new standards for the whole industry. Just to hold it and look through the viewfinder was a revelation. Supplemented by a stunning range of lenses that, I'm sure I once heard rumoured, Leica considered to be the closest competition to their own optics in terms of overall optical quality.

Olympus OM4Ti Took over where the Om1 & OM2 left off. Quite simply, IMHO, the best ever 35mm manual focus SLR.

Bronica ETRSi Significantly superior image quality to any 35mm camera but still acceptably portable for landscape work. High quality, functional and refined machine that, combined with my Pentax digital spot meter, is pure joy to work with. Without doubt the best camera for landscapes I've ever owned, until perhaps now....

........Enter the Olympus E3 Arguably, from my point of view, currently the best DSLR for all round outdoor use and certainly the best designed. This was briefly preceeded by the E500 and E510, both well specified for their class and both of which I still use when I want to travel light (although my wife has now claimed the E510 and my daughter has her eye on the E500).

But the camera that started it all was not a SLR. It was a Zeiss Ikonta 35 viewfinder camera handed down to me by my father, complete with Weston light meter.

The camera could hardly have been more basic and yet it was the perfect tool for learning the basics of photography, such as the relationship between shutter speeds and aperture, the effect of different apertures on DOF and the relevance of shutter speeds to hand held photography and subject movement. And in Dad I could not have had a better teacher. Sadly he is no longer with me, but I'll always owe him a tremendous debt of gratitude, not only for introducing me to photography but for everything he did for me so selflessly throughout his life.

Thank you Dad. *clap*wave

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Ikonta35-PC_1_.jpg

Bob_D
22nd August 2008, 06:13 AM
My first was a Fujica STX-1......that I got as a gift from my then girlfriend (now wife of 26 years).

I thought it was brilliant..........and it got me really into photogrpahy as a hobby, which has stayed.

I still have the thing......not used it for ages, as the film transport mechanism slips a bit.......but it will always be in the house!

StephenL
22nd August 2008, 09:27 AM
A Zenith B, of course, followed by a Practica of some description then an Edixa Mat Cadet.

StephenL
22nd August 2008, 09:29 AM
Yes, I had a Pentax Spotmatic at some point, and also an Exacta Varex 3b (I think).

The first I held was an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic. The first I used was my Dad's Zenit E. The first I bought for myself was an Exakta RTL1000

JohnGG

HughofBardfield
22nd August 2008, 09:51 AM
Praktica IV F "inherited" from my father. Big, heavy and with a shutter release that almost guaranteed camera shake. The lever wind was on the bottom of the camera, but easier than using the top-plate round winder. It's still up in the loft. No metering, of course, but I had a Zeiss Ikon Ikophot meter I picked up from somewhere. Probably the best thing about it was the 50mm f2.8 Tessar lens (wonder what that would be like on 4/3rds...).

andym
22nd August 2008, 09:59 AM
Probably the best thing about it was the 50mm f2.8 Tessar lens (wonder what that would be like on 4/3rds...).

Cor this thread go back a long way.

I also had the Tessar on my Practica nova 1.Sadly got lost when pased on to another member of my family.

E-P1 fan
22nd August 2008, 10:04 AM
Zenit B then fairly rapidly the big upgrade to the Zenith E and then a long list of SLRs - Pentax, Konica etc leading up to my one and only DSLR - the E-1.

pilgrim
22nd August 2008, 03:46 PM
Zenit B, Canon AE1 and a huuuuge gap to an E500 :D

Graham_of_Rainham
23rd August 2008, 12:11 PM
OM10. I've still got 2 of the three I have owned. I gave one to a friend who's OM2sp finally gave up.

My Original OM10 has travelled the world with me and has never let me down. I estimate 600 rolls of film went through it. While I have a OM4Ti which I use a lot, for all the rough, tough environments the OM10 survived them all.

Brilliant camera and so cost effective.

*chr

tlove
23rd August 2008, 12:26 PM
First camera was an Olympus Trip (the original type, not the electronic jobbie they brought out later :D), which I think I've still got somewhere.

First 'proper' camera was an OM-1 (silver), which due to having a friend in the photographic business at the time I was able to exchange for a very sexy black OM-2 within a few months (and which I kept for quite a few years).

skyman1
19th October 2008, 09:57 PM
Started with a Zenit B about mid 60s then a Yashika 635 TLR 120 or 35mm film convertable then in 73 got an OM1 50mm 1.8 and Vivitar 35mm and 70-210mm macro zoom that i still have and now onto my (new to me) lovely E-1 :)

benvendetta
20th October 2008, 12:13 PM
1. Zenit 3M (1970) - hand-me-down from elder brother. Passed on to younger brother!
2. Praktica LLC (1973) - nice black model bought new. Died I believe.
3. Olympus OM1n (1980) - bought new. Died.
4. Olympus OM10 (1990s) - bought second hand. Sold on.
5. Nikon F70 (1999) - bought new and still have
6. Nikon FE (1999) - bought second hand but sold on
7. Olympus E-500 (2005) - bought new and still have
8. Olympus OM2n (2007) - bought second hand but sold on
9. Olympus E-3 (2007) - bought new and still have

Jim Ford
20th October 2008, 02:08 PM
1. Zenit 3M (1970) - hand-me-down from elder brother. Passed on to younger brother!

My first SLR was a Zenit before they put the 3M on it and Dixons stocked it. It was a great camera with a sharp 58mm f2.0 Helios lens (Zeiss Biotar copy). The lens was a preset design, with stop-down ring, non instant return mirror - it stayed up when the shutter was released, and a limited range of shutter speeds. In spite of its limited abilities, if I was to go back to a film camera, I'd look for a Zenit 3M again.

Jim

peak4
20th October 2008, 04:24 PM
Lots of Zenits here, my first SLR too in "B" incarnation. Sold it and bought a well used Canon F1 (pre F1n), which I still have.
Beyond that second hand E-500, E-1 & now a new E-3 :). Olympus replacement for the previous E-3 which had the odd problem.

DekHog
20th October 2008, 05:33 PM
Well, this thread and the replies in it are making me feel surprisingly young, so thanks to all for that...

My first 'real' camera was a Chinon CE-4 (Dixons own brand rubbish), which I loved to death and learned so much with.

andym
20th October 2008, 05:53 PM
[QUOTE=DekHog;27907]Well, this thread and the replies in it are making me feel surprisingly young, so thanks to all for that...

QUOTE]

Oh dear,I started this what seems like ages ago and it's just raised its head again.

make me feel very old(which I suppose is what I am):(.

Very interesting though.:)

Lord Minty
6th November 2008, 08:54 PM
Interesting thread :)

My first proper camera circa 1982 was a used Olympus Trip 35 - the real Trip, great little camera, still got it along with the optional Olympus close up lenses and it still works.

First SLR around 1988/9 was a Praktica BX20 - effectively a Praktica copy of the OM4 but without some features. Superb camera - so good I bought another BX20 body after the Berlin Wall came down and then my wife inherited her Dad's BX20 too! Got a huge collection of PB bayonet lenses...

So... I did a lot of research about DSLRs that I could use these on and then bought a Pentax K to 4/3rds adapter off eBay. Some weeks later I'd fettled it into a pretty reasonable Praktica B to 4/3rds adapter!

First DSLR was an E-500 SE twin lens kit from Dixons - came with 17.5-45 & 40-150. Fantastic bargain.

Then got hooked and went to sample a cheap E-1 but got seduced by an E-330 and LiveView with 14-44...

michaelavis
8th November 2008, 05:47 PM
I think it was a Pentax way back in 1980 (or maybe it was a Nikon). I used it for a couple of years. My parents, who are now getting on a bit, still have the portrait of their beloved dog I took hangling in their lounge, still giving them pleasure.

I then spent 25 years in the photography wilderness thinking anything that didn't fit in my pocket and more recently wasn't embedded in a mobile phone was in a technology backwater and too much hassle. Missed a trick there I think.