PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out there still using the OM System?

Steve Lane
7th March 2008, 09:36 AM
I have been using the OM system since 1982 and, although I use the E-system, cannot let go of film technology due to my love of projected slides. For local walks and some ‘serious’ landscape photography, I use my E-1. But for family holidays and the occasional nostalgic ‘need’ to use film, I reach for my OM’s.

I was wondering how many of you out there still use the OM system cameras alongside the E-System? I am not talking about using OM lenses on E bodies, but the urge to still use the OM system.

Regards, Steve.

Hiding_Pup
7th March 2008, 10:02 AM
I have an OM-2n in the cupboard which gets a little outing from time to time when I want my favourite 24mm and 50mm to behave like a 24mm and 50mm.

andym
7th March 2008, 10:07 AM
I have a working OM1(n) but have not used it for a long time.

I'll alway keep it though

Xpres
7th March 2008, 10:11 AM
I still use an OM1 which is one of my favourites and also have an om2 and 4 in my box of old bits and bobs which get a trip out now and again. the om1 and 24mm is a great combination.

E-P1 fan
7th March 2008, 10:20 AM
I wish I still had the OMs I had in the past.

I use some OM lenses with my E-1 though.

If I had room for a darkroom, I'd be very tempted back to the dark side ;)

Scapula Memory
7th March 2008, 10:47 AM
I wish I still had the OMs I had in the past.

I use some OM lenses with my E-1 though.

If I had room for a darkroom, I'd be very tempted back to the dark side ;)

Agree, I let my OMs go a long time ago but in hindsight wish I had kept them. Mind you I was clearing out some drawers a few days ago and found a Minolta 505 si film camera from many moons back, amazing what you can stash away and forget about!

David M
7th March 2008, 10:56 AM
I've been using the OM system since 1976 and still use it very occasionally.

I've got half a dozen bodies and a dozen primes but the only OM lenses I use on the E system are the macros and the 350mm.

DTD
7th March 2008, 11:03 AM
Have 2 OM-1n's 24/35/50/100mm lenses. Extension tubes, winder and varimagnifier. Not used them for a year or two. In my opinion they were one of the best film cameras ever made.

Still use film in a Ricoh GR-1 compact and Leica M6. Also have an Olympus Ecru as a novelty. keeping an eye out for a reasonably priced O-Product.

elwynjones
7th March 2008, 12:44 PM
Yes - still using s/h OM2n and OM1n bought in recent years. Mainly because of b&w work for my course. They were (are) lovely cameras though. I'll have to weed out some lenses now that I have a new E-510 to play with too!

Steve Lane
7th March 2008, 01:46 PM
It's good to know that some of you still use or have them! I have a handful of lenses that have not been used for a few years, and a 4Ti that has not been used much lately. I cannot bear to part with them. Still use a 3Ti and occasionally my OM1n with 21 f2, 35 f2, 50 f1.2, 135 f2.8 and 180 f2.8 lenses. Sometimes, going manual still does it for me!

Hiding_Pup
7th March 2008, 02:06 PM
What a fantastic collection of Zuikos. Those will get you an E-3 if you ever want to trade them in I reckon (not that you would).

Graham_of_Rainham
7th March 2008, 02:23 PM
Absolutly YES! along with my 35RD which I still rate as the best rangefinder ever.

The lenses from my OM system give me a range up to 2400mm when bolted onto the E-system and the Bellows unit provides for some incredible capability.

I still use the OM4Ti for slide competitions and it really paid off last night with a 1st place win in a competition with an external judge.

So yes the "analogue camera" has not yet gone the way of the slide rule.;)

IanV
7th March 2008, 08:53 PM
Howdy,
OM-10, 50mm f/1.8, 28mm f/2.8, 70-200mm, T32 flash, Winder 2
Almost exclusively use XP2 these days & dev and CD for £2 from Tesco's

Love the om-10 & 28mm as a travel package

Still looking for the om-2n & 100mm f/2.8 combo of my dreams though

vicb981
7th March 2008, 09:11 PM
Still have my 28 year-old OM2n; in fact had slide film returned from processors this morning! Also another OM2n I was given, and OM20. I use these on holiday mostly and one has been all around the world. In past 3 years have used in conjunction with 5MP mu digital.
Looking at 510 now, especially as 25 mm lens available. But OM is alive and well here and in frequent use!