PDA

View Full Version : Tripod / monopod suggestions?

Wee man
13th November 2010, 05:43 PM
I have a Manfrotto 190XPROB which I find heavy and tall when on a backpack for walking in the hills. Can anyone suggest a small, light tripod for use with an E30 and 12-60mm and possibly a 50- 200 with adaptor? Or can anyone comment on the Trek Pod monopod/hiking stick range? landscape and bird use. Many thanks

Poacher
13th November 2010, 06:49 PM
I have just purchased a Vanguard Tracker AP284 monopod .

Folded Height: 550mm

Extended Height: 1580mm

Leg Diameter: 28mm

Leg Sections: 4

Monopod Foot:Yes (Rubber articulated foot with spike option)

Weight: 0.6kg

Supplied with karabiner which clips onto belt or pack.

40 from scopenskies.com

Excellent piece of kit.

Ellie
6th December 2010, 02:33 PM
Have a look at the Velbon tripods (http://www.velbon.co.uk/newvelbon/pages/geo1.html). I've got a four section carbon fibre one that's very light and easy to use, it took a while for it to come up on an auction site, but was well worth the wait.

rsh1960
6th December 2010, 04:18 PM
Subsribe to digital camera magazine for 6 months 27.50, get a Manfrotto Monopod 679b Free

pandora
1st January 2011, 01:29 PM
Save your money Ed and improvise.

I own a heavy Manfrotto pro monopod that I bought on a whim for weddings, but hardly used.

I now use a single high tensile telescopic aluminium walking pole, adjustable in height.
But if there is a tree, a post, a wall, a railing or a rock against which to brace the camera, then I use that.

Develop the technique with IS switched ON and your pics should be pin sharp.
Furthermore, he who travels light travels faster and shoots more pics while others trip over their gear.

Just my humble opinion, of course. :)

Barrie Norman
1st January 2011, 02:28 PM
I use a Giottos Professional Aluminium monopod with a Manfrotto 322RC2 head, I use this in conjunction with the following lens, Sigma 150 macro Oly 50-200 and Oly 300, mainly for photographing dragonflies to get good results especially with a long lens you need to angle the monopod away from you so that you form the tripod. If you just attach the camera to the monopod the camera will move around and you will get camera shake. I do agree with Marks comments about using whatever is available but using a monopod with long lens has proven very successful for me. also go for the aluminium ones as they are not very much heavier than CF, but do get a sturdy one as if you are using the technique I have described you will be putting a fair amount of weight on it.

Garrie
1st January 2011, 03:27 PM
although I haven't got a monopod I can recommend the Giotto stuff. I have one of the pro alu tripod and its a superb bit of bit, very well made :)