PDA

View Full Version : Is E5 better with looong exposures than E30?

Ross the fiddler
13th November 2010, 01:34 PM
I asked on an Australian forum who were buying the E5 & this is one person's reply,
Not buying it. While general image quaity is no doubt very good and the are some fabulous Olympus lenses to go with it, it still has the same old sensor that is quite terrible when it comes to long-exposure image noise, limited dynamic range and it costs far too much. You can have the Nikon D7000 for less and it is a vastly superior camera in most respects.

The E5 is what the E3 should have been when it was first released.

Sticking with my Olympus E-P1 and Nikon D90 for a while.

Could an E5 user test the long exposure capability (30 secs or longer) of the E5 & post a photo please.

PeterD
13th November 2010, 01:36 PM
Hi Ross

I shall add this to my things to do. I shall post images that you can download and check for yourself too.

Ross the fiddler
13th November 2010, 01:39 PM
Hi Ross

I shall add this to my things to do. I shall post images that you can download and check for yourself too.

Thanks, that sounds great.

photo_owl
13th November 2010, 01:44 PM
whilst I can't comment in absolute terms I can't see anything beyond an incremental improvement over the E30 given that they share the same sensor family.

PeterD
14th November 2010, 05:31 AM
Thanks, that sounds great.

Good morning Ross

Please see my thread 'Night Shoot'. Exposure times of 5-6 seconds should be long enough to answer the question.

Note
Sorry Ross, just re-read your post and now realise you were looking for a >30s exposure and this does NOT meet what you asked. I only read the quote from the person on the forum and thought this would meet your request. I shall try again when the skies are clear (God only knows when that will be:mad:) and take in some stars.

Ross the fiddler
14th November 2010, 12:12 PM
Good morning Ross

Please see my thread 'Night Shoot'. Exposure times of 5-6 seconds should be long enough to answer the question.

Note
Sorry Ross, just re-read your post and now realise you were looking for a >30s exposure and this does NOT meet what you asked. I only read the quote from the person on the forum and thought this would meet your request. I shall try again when the skies are clear (God only knows when that will be:mad:) and take in some stars.

Thanks, I just posted a reply in the other thread before I saw this. The other Peter (above) is wanting to do 6 minute shots. I wonder just how good a long exposure would be with his D90. I tried a 60 sec exposure tonight but clouds are with us here too (I'll get a star trail when I can). A bit like British weather except it's been warm for the last week bringing storms with it & more cloudy wet conditions to continue. Shame I didn't get any great storm shots.

PeterD
14th November 2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks, I just posted a reply in the other thread before I saw this. The other Peter (above) is wanting to do 6 minute shots. I wonder just how good a long exposure would be with his D90. I tried a 60 sec exposure tonight but clouds are with us here too (I'll get a star trail when I can). A bit like British weather except it's been warm for the last week bringing storms with it & more cloudy wet conditions to continue. Shame I didn't get any great storm shots.

Hi Ross
Seems like you are having typical British weather - our forecast is about the same. I shall give longer exposures a go for two reasons, 1. I want to satisfy your friend that it has been done and 2. I am just darn curious*yes,

If we do do this, I think it only fair that an out of the camera image is produced from the D90;). Long exposures like this usually require that the processor core temperature is cooled as it has been long recognised that this is the source of the noise.