PDA

View Full Version : Video from E5

PeterD
12th November 2010, 05:40 PM
This is my first attempt at Video.
Things I learnt
1. Remember to take the tripod shoe next time to ensure the camera is held rock steady:o.
This was taken using the tripod as a rest.
2. Using the swivel screen on the back of the camera in any other position than flat on the camera body was terribly disorientating. This should improve when I have the camera properly fixed to the tripod.
3. Audio could be improved with an external mic. I shall have to get one to try it. I think that the major problem with this was the fact I did not have the camera secured and what can be heard is the movement between the camera body and tripod.

Still, here is the video link Aggregates Wharf, Langstone Harbour

The description is with the Video.

SteveJ
12th November 2010, 05:46 PM
Hello Peter,
I watched it full screen 720p and i think it is great. Colours and detail are excellent. Does the I.S work when in video ?

Regards
Steve

PeterD
12th November 2010, 06:19 PM
Hello Peter,
I watched it full screen 720p and i think it is great. Colours and detail are excellent. Does the I.S work when in video ?

Regards
Steve

Thanks for your reply Steve.
You have just reminded me that I should have switched IS off!!!:eek: Another thing to remember.

I am very disappointed in how the video has rendered in YouTube. It's the first time I have tried it and it looks far better from the file out of the camera:confused:. I wonder if Ian can advise on this? I have a feeling it has something to do with the upload processing but I am no expert, just a beginner.

Ian
13th November 2010, 12:18 PM
Hi Peter, the file will be compressed by YouTube so there is some reduction in quality, but I wonder if you watched it on YouTube in HD resolution? (720p mode). This isn't the default; 360p is (only a quarter of the resolution). I watched in full screen at 720p and the word 'Tarmac' on the ship is clearly legible in 720p mode, but practically unreadable in 360p mode.

I'm a bit confused about the references to the use of a tripod - did you use the tripod? (you seem to indicate you had one but cast doubt on whether it was used properly! :)).

The use of a good quality stereo external microphone will improve the audio significantly. It's possible the IS system you left running might introduce some jitter. But otherwise the quality was about what I expected.

ian

PeterD
13th November 2010, 12:49 PM
Hi Peter, the file will be compressed by YouTube so there is some reduction in quality, but I wonder if you watched it on YouTube in HD resolution? (720p mode). This isn't the default; 360p is (only a quarter of the resolution). I watched in full screen at 720p and the word 'Tarmac' on the ship is clearly legible in 720p mode, but practically unreadable in 360p mode.

I'm a bit confused about the references to the use of a tripod - did you use the tripod? (you seem to indicate you had one but cast doubt on whether it was used properly! :)).

The use of a good quality stereo external microphone will improve the audio significantly. It's possible the IS system you left running might introduce some jitter. But otherwise the quality was about what I expected.

ian

Thanks for your reply Ian. This answers some of the queries I have with IQ on YouTube. Would it have been improved had I saved it as a wmv file before upload?
I did use a tripod but only as a rest:o. The shoe to secure the camera/lens was not fitted so I could not secure it properly. Had I been able to do so it would have come out much better and I think some of the noise on the video would have not been there.
What I am finding is that playing around with the camera is the quickest way to learn. Yes, I make mistakes but hopefully they will prevent others from doing so if I or others point them out. It is very much a learning experience but fun none the less:)
I am in the process of uploading some images using the ZD 70-300. Not a lens of choice for me but I was interested to see its performance with the E5. More on that later

Did you see the post by Barr1e re camera performance? From my limited use with the E5 (given the weather:mad: and lack of time:() I am not surprised at the result. Only when looking at the price comparisons between those above and below the E5:D.