PDA

View Full Version : I have a new Toy!

Crippledsandwich
12th November 2010, 10:20 AM
Just brought and recieved from another forum, a Sigma 105mm Macro:)

I have been dreaming about this lens for ages, I never thought I could ever afford one. Specially with the little one on the way.

Does this now mean that my 35mm Macro is obsolete?

Plus does anyone have any advice on using this lens? camera set ups and so and so?

Any help and advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Chris

Ian
12th November 2010, 10:53 AM
Just brought and recieved from another forum, a Sigma 105mm Macro:)

I have been dreaming about this lens for ages, I never thought I could ever afford one. Specially with the little one on the way.

Does this now mean that my 35mm Macro is obsolete?

Plus does anyone have any advice on using this lens? camera set ups and so and so?

Any help and advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Chris

I think only you will be able to judge as to whether the Sigma will make your 35mm redundant :)

The 105 is probably a more versatile lens and it's faster. It also means you don't have to be right on top of your subject for macro shots.

Ian

Crippledsandwich
12th November 2010, 04:40 PM
I'm looking forward the greater distance. I have seen some excellent shots in the forum and on Flickr. Amateur Photographer also rated this lens really highly.

Invicta
12th November 2010, 06:07 PM
I have been looking at the Sigma Macro lens as well ever since it became clear Oly had abandoned their 105mm macro that had been on the Zuiko road map for so long.

I would be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Crippledsandwich
13th November 2010, 02:36 AM
I have been looking at the Sigma Macro lens as well ever since it became clear Oly had abandoned their 105mm macro that had been on the Zuiko road map for so long.

I would be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Well for starters is a solid bit of kit, feels nice too. hopefully i will have some time to run off some pictures and post a couple on this thread tomorrow

Crippledsandwich
28th November 2010, 11:07 PM
Finally found the time to take some photos using this lens today:)

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?p=92590#post92590

Ross the fiddler
29th November 2010, 01:50 AM
I believe that lens requires you to turn off "lens return to home" in the camera menu & setting the camera to MF (when needed) as well as the lens to avoid motor damage & also moving the focus ring to engage/disengage. Others with that lens would be best to advise on that, otherwise you will enjoy the great photos you can achieve with it.

Crippledsandwich
29th November 2010, 08:06 AM
Thanks Ross that's really helpful.

Fn button on my 520 is set to manual focus, I use a few OM lenses and use it to change when they're attached. is this the same method incamera as you have explained?

Chris

Ross the fiddler
29th November 2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks Ross that's really helpful.

Fn button on my 520 is set to manual focus, I use a few OM lenses and use it to change when they're attached. is this the same method incamera as you have explained?

Chris

I'm glad that I could offer you something. I believe it does function quite well in AF but sometimes that can be counter productive for macro shots. There are some people that swear by using CA-F as they get more keepers (that came from a Sigma 150 macro lens user but should be the same for this lens too if focus speed can keep up with the movement).

It is the "lens reset" that I think needs to be turned off (it is usually on a note with a new lens). On the E520, it is in Menu spanner A list.

I would suggest starting a new thread asking for hints on using that lens & that way you should get plenty of help (hopefully). That's what I did when I got the 150 macro lens & got some helpful hints from experienced users.

Have fun with it.

Crippledsandwich
29th November 2010, 09:24 PM
Your right AF is pretty good though I have noticed that in low light it seems to search for ages, and most of the time I have found it easier in Manual mode. Its a huge step up for me Macro wise. I have been using an OM 50mm reversed on to another 50mm with a set of extension tubes. I did get some decent shots but light or lack of it became a huge problem.

I will take a look at the camera settings, thanks again for telling me where it is located.

Chris

Ross the fiddler
30th November 2010, 12:16 AM
Your right AF is pretty good though I have noticed that in low light it seems to search for ages, and most of the time I have found it easier in Manual mode. Its a huge step up for me Macro wise. I have been using an OM 50mm reversed on to another 50mm with a set of extension tubes. I did get some decent shots but light or lack of it became a huge problem.

I will take a look at the camera settings, thanks again for telling me where it is located.

Chris

Yes, I have done that too, including bellows or just on fixed extension tubes. The lighting & aperture on the reversed lens (when only using it) became a problem stopped down as focus became very difficult when chasing a larger DoF. Since buying my Sigma lens (150mm) I have arranged 2 X FL36R flashes & also for night shooting of macro things, a LED ring light on the front works well as a focus aid (not strong enough light for that length of lens to use by itself) & gives me some good results.
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11841 & with a sample of using it http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11821

I modified a cheap twin flash bracket to achieve this.

Hope that is helpful.

PS Don't forget, if you have an EX25 extension tube, it will get you closer when you need it & may give about 50% more magnification on that lens (adds 35% on 150mm macro lens).

Crippledsandwich
30th November 2010, 09:19 PM
That's one hell of a set up mate and the Macro shots are so clear what sort of spider is that?!

I have thought about making an LED light ring for my 35mm macro and now the sigma, you can get some very bright LEDs that run on minimal battery power. i have one FL36r flash so i could set that up remotely to add some more light. but i like the brackets you have got, its given me some ideas of my own.

With the EX25 extension tube, does it effect the AF and metering at all?

Chris

Ross the fiddler
1st December 2010, 12:38 AM
That's one hell of a set up mate and the Macro shots are so clear what sort of spider is that?!

I have thought about making an LED light ring for my 35mm macro and now the sigma, you can get some very bright LEDs that run on minimal battery power. i have one FL36r flash so i could set that up remotely to add some more light. but i like the brackets you have got, its given me some ideas of my own.

With the EX25 extension tube, does it effect the AF and metering at all?

Chris

I wouldn't spend any time making an LED ring light when these work quite good for their price (36 pounds posted). http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Macro-RING-LED-Light-49mm-52mm-55mm-58mm-62mm-67mm-LENS-/170526281607?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_ CameraFlashUnits_JN&hash=item27b4288f87
I don't know if these LEDs can be replaced with anything brighter as they aren't too bad, but to get a good exposure you need good daylight or equivalent artificial light (or if stopping down to f16 or more, then brighter). The shorter length lens benefits from the lighting being closer (& stronger) & that is why it gets a bit weak for the distance I want it for (when stopped down).

Here is the twin flash bracket that I modified. It is a bit hard to tighten the mount to the camera & the assembly has a tendency to move a bit, but I have it good now (with shoe sole rubber & a larger screw knob). You could try replacing the rubber for better nonslip.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Twin-Flash-Bracket-Pentax-K-5-K20D-K-x-K-7-K-m-K-r-/260695629377?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_ CameraFlashUnits_JN&hash=item3cb2ab9e41

Here is another idea but I wouldn't trust it to hold much weight.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dual-Mount-Flash-Bracket-Canon-MT-24EX-Macro-Twin-Flash-/220641623982?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item335f43ffae

The EX25 allows auto focus within limited distances for each lens, check the compatability charts for Oly lenses ( http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/compati/di004042e.cfm )& metering etc is all compatable & also works with Sigma 4/3 lenses. One thing to remember with the Sigma 105 lens is when focusing close, the lens extends & effectively reduces the aperture & I'm not sure if it is indicated on the camera or not. In other words, maximum aperture is only achieved at maximum distance (infinity), but wouldn't normally matter, as you would probably want to close down the aperture to try & get enough DoF in macro use. Another note: the EX25 will show up in the EXIF data (in Oly Viewer & Kuso EXIF reader).

Hope that helps you Chris.

Hope you stay warm too.

Crippledsandwich
1st December 2010, 09:53 PM
I wouldn't spend any time making an LED ring light when these work quite good for their price (36 pounds posted). http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Macro-RING-LED-Light-49mm-52mm-55mm-58mm-62mm-67mm-LENS-/170526281607?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_ CameraFlashUnits_JN&hash=item27b4288f87
I don't know if these LEDs can be replaced with anything brighter as they aren't too bad, but to get a good exposure you need good daylight or equivalent artificial light (or if stopping down to f16 or more, then brighter). The shorter length lens benefits from the lighting being closer (& stronger) & that is why it gets a bit weak for the distance I want it for (when stopped down).

Here is the twin flash bracket that I modified. It is a bit hard to tighten the mount to the camera & the assembly has a tendency to move a bit, but I have it good now (with shoe sole rubber & a larger screw knob). You could try replacing the rubber for better nonslip.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Twin-Flash-Bracket-Pentax-K-5-K20D-K-x-K-7-K-m-K-r-/260695629377?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_ CameraFlashUnits_JN&hash=item3cb2ab9e41

Here is another idea but I wouldn't trust it to hold much weight.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dual-Mount-Flash-Bracket-Canon-MT-24EX-Macro-Twin-Flash-/220641623982?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item335f43ffae

The EX25 allows auto focus within limited distances for each lens, check the compatability charts for Oly lenses ( http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/compati/di004042e.cfm )& metering etc is all compatable & also works with Sigma 4/3 lenses. One thing to remember with the Sigma 105 lens is when focusing close, the lens extends & effectively reduces the aperture & I'm not sure if it is indicated on the camera or not. In other words, maximum aperture is only achieved at maximum distance (infinity), but wouldn't normally matter, as you would probably want to close down the aperture to try & get enough DoF in macro use. Another note: the EX25 will show up in the EXIF data (in Oly Viewer & Kuso EXIF reader).

Hope that helps you Chris.

Hope you stay warm too.

HaHa Yeah, the heating bill this month is going to be through the roof. So fed up with the snow now its just becoming a nuisance.

I have seen a few EX25 going second hand so it might be worth an investment, as soon as i pay off the rest of the lens. thanks for the 2 links, the 1st looks really good, specially when you see the price of the Olympus branded kit for Macro flash. the second looks like the blower from the fret saw we have at work so your probably right in thinking that it wouldn't hold much weight.

As for making my own LED flash light you probably right about cost but im quite handy when it comes to stuff like that. i was thinking of getting a Cokin ring adaptor the same you use with their filter system and then just building off the side of that. then maybe an old flash hotshot glued onto a battery holder, so i could connect it to the top. Just haven't gotten round to it yet lol

Have you seen this guys work before? http://www.behance.net/gallery/herbalizers/419219

He was in Practical Photography magazine a while back. He uses an E3 with the 50mm macro and 105 macro, all natural light. it was one of the reasons i got the lens because of the quality of the results he had got.

Chris

Ross the fiddler
1st December 2010, 11:37 PM
HaHa Yeah, the heating bill this month is going to be through the roof. So fed up with the snow now its just becoming a nuisance.

I have seen a few EX25 going second hand so it might be worth an investment, as soon as i pay off the rest of the lens. thanks for the 2 links, the 1st looks really good, specially when you see the price of the Olympus branded kit for Macro flash. the second looks like the blower from the fret saw we have at work so your probably right in thinking that it wouldn't hold much weight.

As for making my own LED flash light you probably right about cost but im quite handy when it comes to stuff like that. i was thinking of getting a Cokin ring adaptor the same you use with their filter system and then just building off the side of that. then maybe an old flash hotshot glued onto a battery holder, so i could connect it to the top. Just haven't gotten round to it yet lol
Have you seen this guys work before? http://www.behance.net/gallery/herbalizers/419219

He was in Practical Photography magazine a while back. He uses an E3 with the 50mm macro and 105 macro, all natural light. it was one of the reasons i got the lens because of the quality of the results he had got.

Chris

Sometimes it is worthwhile making your own stuff & sometimes it's quicker, cheaper & tidier to buy somethings. When I bought my LED ring light, I got the one with the extra ring for 72mm (for the Sigma 150 lens), although I had to trim the opening back of the LED ring housing to allow it to slip over the 72mm filter. I didn't realise they were actually the same as the Cokin filter rings (I just compared them), that means I can use my Cokin copy filter kit on any of my lenses now I have all those ring sizes (I had 58 & 67mm previously).
Getting back to making things, I would recommend getting this kit with all its rings & you will find the LEDs are pretty bright, you might find something even brighter, maybe & if it was worth it, replace each LED (as the housing is a nicely finished unit) with brighter ones, if you can find any (check luminance specs on available LEDs first). I think there is a much more expensive LED ring light on the market (USA I think) that uses 2 rows of LEDs which would probably be quite good.

Those photos are really great from that guy, like works of art. He is using wide open apertures on a number of them (thankfully the EXIF is there to check) & up to about f4 for some which is why he can use natural light, plus he has kept his ISO at a max of 400. He wouldn't be able to if he was using f16 or higher. He has really used the narrow DoF to great advantage in his photos & his artistic eye with these are something to be wished for by the rest of us.

I will be continuing to experiment with my flash set up, but if there is background that can be lit (without the black surround), it will look more natural but with greater DoF, I hope.

Cheers *chr

Crippledsandwich
2nd December 2010, 08:03 AM
Maybe you could use one of those reflectors to bounce the light behind the subject? have you ever used a soft box as well, i have seen those on Ebay and other places. Cheap and they can fold up, roughly 50 with different backdrops.

I think i may be swayed into your thinking, regarding the LED light ring. Some more research into brightness, design and finish might be needed.

Chris

Ross the fiddler
2nd December 2010, 09:26 AM
Maybe you could use one of those reflectors to bounce the light behind the subject? have you ever used a soft box as well, i have seen those on Ebay and other places. Cheap and they can fold up, roughly 50 with different backdrops.

I think i may be swayed into your thinking, regarding the LED light ring. Some more research into brightness, design and finish might be needed.

Chris

Yes I forgot about reflectors, even though I've bought some for that use. I guess I just get carried away with chasing the bug at hand. I have to get off now because a storm is brewing around us & I don't want our gear fryed.

See ya

Crippledsandwich
2nd December 2010, 09:31 PM
lol yeah by the time you have the reflectors set up the bug would of moved or flown away :o