PDA

View Full Version : E5 test with Bigma

PeterD
11th November 2010, 02:38 AM
E5 Test using the Sigma 50-500
A really good day today so I sneaked out for an hour to test the performance with the Sigma 50-500 on the new E5.

Focussing times were swifter and the IQ has improved with the new camera. I had already compared RAW output with jpg output from the camera and was satisfied thet the benefits of the new image processor worked well on both types of output file.

I used ISO 800 to see how things would turn out.

Juvenile Black-headed Gull.
http://www.imageinuk.com/Birds/Gulls-Laridae/Black-headed-Gull-Larus/PB107364/1086042186_UeCUF-M.jpg
Click here (http://www.imageinuk.com/Birds/Gulls-Laridae/Black-headed-Gull-Larus/PB107364/1086042186_UeCUF-XL.jpg) for larger image.

http://www.imageinuk.com/Birds/Gulls-Laridae/Black-headed-Gull-Larus/PB107365/1086040551_ybq26-M.jpg
Click here (http://www.imageinuk.com/Birds/Gulls-Laridae/Black-headed-Gull-Larus/PB107365/1086040551_ybq26-XL.jpg) for larger image.

Adult Black-headed Gull

http://www.imageinuk.com/Birds/Gulls-Laridae/Black-headed-Gull-Larus/PB107334/1086059083_t395d-M.jpg
Click here (http://www.imageinuk.com/Birds/Gulls-Laridae/Black-headed-Gull-Larus/PB107334/1086059083_t395d-XL.jpg) for larger image.

http://www.imageinuk.com/Birds/Gulls-Laridae/Black-headed-Gull-Larus/PB107325/1086060058_UVriK-M.jpg
Click here (http://www.imageinuk.com/Birds/Gulls-Laridae/Black-headed-Gull-Larus/PB107325/1086060058_UVriK-XL.jpg) for larger image.

I have a few blown highlights, my problem in getting used to the settings but, other than that, I think they turned out well at the higher ISO.

shenstone
11th November 2010, 07:53 AM
Thanks for sharing ... It does look like you've got a good combination here

The size in this post doesn't show them off to their best and I would encourage people to go over to Peter's website and look at them xtra large where the 3rd looks really sharp and despite the missing wingtip is spot on

Regards
Andy

graham_jester
11th November 2010, 09:15 AM
Hi Peter
Your E-5 images look very impressive.
Could you advise what Noise Filter settings were used for the bird pictures?
Thanks
Graham

PeterD
11th November 2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks for sharing ... It does look like you've got a good combination here

The size in this post doesn't show them off to their best and I would encourage people to go over to Peter's website and look at them xtra large where the 3rd looks really sharp and despite the missing wingtip is spot on

Regards
Andy

Thanks Andy.

Hi Peter
Your E-5 images look very impressive.
Could you advise what Noise Filter settings were used for the bird pictures?
Thanks
Graham

Thanks Graham. I have used my exif tool to extract all the data which others may find helpful. The only problem is that this is a text file. How do I upload that on the forum? Can anyone help?

graham_jester
11th November 2010, 11:54 AM
Hi Peter
I did download one of your JPEG images and looked at the Exif data in Olympus Viewer 2 but, whilst I'm not too familiar with this package, I could not see any mention of Noise Filter value.
Interestingly, if you open a RAW image, then you can see Noise Filter setting.
Presumably this is because with RAW you can change it if you want to.
I understand the default NF setting on the E-5 is 'Standard'.
Graham

PeterD
11th November 2010, 12:34 PM
Hi Peter
I did download one of your JPEG images and looked at the Exif data in Olympus Viewer 2 but, whilst I'm not too familiar with this package, I could not see any mention of Noise Filter value.
Interestingly, if you open a RAW image, then you can see Noise Filter setting.
Presumably this is because with RAW you can change it if you want to.
I understand the default NF setting on the E-5 is 'Standard'.
Graham

Great - glad you managed to get the info because it is important for those wishing to experiment. The noise filter was set to 'Standard'. The menu system on the camera is very much rationalised when compared to the E3. and better use is made with the swivel screen which helps when you are changing settings. There is no doubt that the increased resolution on this screen is a great improvement. The amount of times I have looked at my friend's Nikon screen and wished we had something similar.
I am finding that the normal rules I had applied to shooting are going out of the window. The more I use the camera, the greater my confidence. IMHO The E3 was a revolution but this E5 is another step change. I really need the RAW image converter to see what further improvement I can achieve. Come on Adobe - help me with my workflow and get a new version of ACR out asap.

If anyone wants me to try something out for them, please ask. If I have the means, I shall give it a go.

Ian
11th November 2010, 01:08 PM
Yes, it's odd that you can't see the Noise Filter setting used when examining a JPEG in Viewer 2 (or it seems Master 2 and Studio 2) - it's only shown in the RAW processing mode - for RAW files.

Ian

yorky
11th November 2010, 01:25 PM
Hi, Apart from the screen resolution what if any improvements are noticable from the discontued E30?

Ian
11th November 2010, 01:39 PM
Hi, Apart from the screen resolution what if any improvements are noticable from the discontued E30?

The E-30 has the more aggressive anti-aliasing filter, so some resolution is lost compared to the E-5. There are some additional Art Filters in the E-5, plus the video recording capability. There are also more custom reset mode memories.

That's besides the pre-existing differences between the E-3 and E-30; alloy body construction, larger 100% finder, dedicated cable release socket, etc.

Ian

yorky
11th November 2010, 02:53 PM
Thank you Ian.

edmund473
11th November 2010, 03:19 PM
Yes agree with Andy you have to see them enlarged to really appreciate the PQ and sharpness thanks for posting Peter.

DerekW
11th November 2010, 04:47 PM
How are the art filter effects saved when you are taking RAW images - or do you have to save JPEG images to get the effect.

If not in the RAW file is there any addiional data that Raw comvertor programs can use to incorporate the Art filter into the final image.

Thanks for any info

Adagio
11th November 2010, 06:18 PM
Peter you must be really thrilled by these results. I too have visited your web site and looked at the 'extra large' images. No 1 especially is a wonderful capture. Congratulations. I am slightly confused by the date of 11 Oct 2010 :)

PeterD
11th November 2010, 07:52 PM
Yes agree with Andy you have to see them enlarged to really appreciate the PQ and sharpness thanks for posting Peter.

Thank you Edmund for your reply. I have had a really busy day so my apologies for not replying sooner.

How are the art filter effects saved when you are taking RAW images - or do you have to save JPEG images to get the effect.

If not in the RAW file is there any addiional data that Raw comvertor programs can use to incorporate the Art filter into the final image.

Thanks for any info

Thank you for your reply Derek. I shall take some images with the art filters, I can compare them as RAW and jpg in the Olympus software. I shall reply again when I have done this.

Peter you must be really thrilled by these results. I too have visited your web site and looked at the 'extra large' images. No 1 especially is a wonderful capture. Congratulations. I am slightly confused by the date of 11 Oct 2010 :)

Thanks for your reply David. I have been under a lot of pressure to keep my promise of last week that I got the date wrong as you have found:o

I shall try out Derek's request shortly. Is there anything else anyone wants me to try?

andym
11th November 2010, 08:04 PM
Hi Peter

Just one question which I am sure the answer will be yes(I hope).Can you set the E5 to MF mode 3 which allows you to focus with the AEL button instead of the half push of the shutter release?
On the E3 it's in Spanner 1, wrench B, AEL/AF.Then can you swap the AEL/AFL button with the Fn button,which is in Spanner 1, wrench B,AEL-Fn.
This fundamental to the way I shoot and could not be without it.

No rush as I cannot afford an E5 till the new year.

Thanks in advance and sorry to be a pain.

PeterD
11th November 2010, 08:36 PM
Hi Peter

Just one question which I am sure the answer will be yes(I hope).Can you set the E5 to MF mode 3 which allows you to focus with the AEL button instead of the half push of the shutter release?
On the E3 it's in Spanner 1, wrench B, AEL/AF.Then can you swap the AEL/AFL button with the Fn button,which is in Spanner 1, wrench B,AEL-Fn.

No problem Andy, I shall have a look at this for you later this evening and post an answer.

Derek, I shall carry out some tests tomorrow, in daylight to check your query re the filters.

In the mean-time, here is another image I took with the Bigma at 50mm, f10 and ISO 800. This sort of image seemed to encourage noise on the E3. Plenty of colours and fine detail to check.

http://www.imageinuk.com/Test-Images/Olympus-E5-Tests-1/PB107355/1086961690_gCoV4-M.jpg
Click here (http://www.imageinuk.com/Test-Images/Olympus-E5-Tests-1/PB107355/1086961690_gCoV4-X3.jpg) for larger image.

I have now created a link to the test images. You can find this on my HOME Page. The HOME PAGES option in the menu is a drop down and one of the options leads to the test images.

Wee man
11th November 2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks for sharing these shots with us now I know what will be on my Christmas list!

Greytop
11th November 2010, 10:18 PM
Thank you for sharing these Peter, they do look excellent, you must be pleased I'm sure.

I'm very much looking forward to any you can show taken with the Sigma 150mm when you have had a well earned breather *chr

PeterD
12th November 2010, 01:16 AM
Thanks for sharing these shots with us now I know what will be on my Christmas list!

Thank you Ed. I am glad to know these images have helped.

Thank you for sharing these Peter, they do look excellent, you must be pleased I'm sure.

I'm very much looking forward to any you can show taken with the Sigma 150mm when you have had a well earned breather *chr

Thank you Huw. I shall try and get some in using the Sigma 150 Macro tomorrow.

I shall also programme in the ZD 70-300 and the Kit lenses. Might even try the 1.4 converter now that I am getting this performance from the camera. Hopefully that will run through most of the lenses people use.

PeterD
12th November 2010, 07:38 AM
Hi Peter

Good morning Andy,

The short answer to your question is YES according to the manual.
I have followed the steps to set my camera up as you wanted but ended up confused. Although there has been a complete re-think and virtually all the camera settings (Gearbox now instead of Spanner) menu, the swapping of the function button eludes me for the moment. Leave it with me a little longer and I shall work it out.
I know it is not the full answer you wanted but at least I thought it better to let you know that I have looked and will try and answer more fully soon.

Ian
12th November 2010, 10:13 AM

Thanks for any info

If you haven't set your camera to record a JPEG alongside the RAW file, the camera automatically sets RAW+JPEG. The Art Filter information doesn't seem to be recorded in the RAW file metadata. While the Picture Mode set is recorded in a RAW file and shown in, say, Viewer 2, the Art Filter selection is blank by default. But of course you can apply any Art Filter effect retrospectively in Viewer 2 (or Master 2/Studio 2 if your camera is supported).

Ian

PeterD
12th November 2010, 10:41 AM
If you haven't set your camera to record a JPEG alongside the RAW file, the camera automatically sets RAW+JPEG. The Art Filter information doesn't seem to be recorded in the RAW file metadata. While the Picture Mode set is recorded in a RAW file and shown in, say, Viewer 2, the Art Filter selection is blank by default. But of course you can apply any Art Filter effect retrospectively in Viewer 2 (or Master 2/Studio 2 if your camera is supported).

Ian

Good morning Ian.
Thanks for this reply*chr. I was reading through the manual to set up an experiment. This answers the immediate question from Derek and therefore allows me to concentrate on the other tests I want to try.

Derek,
If you still want some images using the art filters I shall give it a go later. I do not think though that they will be much different to those in the other later E systems cameras - unless you know different Ian;)

Ian
12th November 2010, 10:51 AM
Hi Peter

I just selected Mode 3 and this makes the AEL/AFL button control AF, while the shutter release half press locks the exposure. Is that what you mean? Not sure what you mean about swapping the AEL/AFL with Fn - unless you want the focus control on the Fn button?

Ian

DerekW
12th November 2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks Ian and Peter - your answers imply to me that the writers of RAW decoding programs for the E5 do not have to worry about incorporating the art filter effects. So there will not be an extra delay as they attempt to support the filters or have to make an opt out decision which would cause dissent amonst the users.

Ian
12th November 2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks Ian and Peter - your answers imply to me that the writers of RAW decoding programs for the E5 do not have to worry about incorporating the art filter effects. So there will not be an extra delay as they attempt to support the filters or have to make an opt out decision which would cause dissent amonst the users.

I don't know of any third party software that emulates Olympus Art Filters (for Olympus RAW files). However, some of the filters have been copied by other camera manufacturers.

Ian

andym
12th November 2010, 10:57 AM
I just selected Mode 3 and this makes the AEL/AFL button control AF, while the shutter release half press locks the exposure. Is that what you mean? Not sure what you mean about swapping the AEL/AFL with Fn - unless you want the focus control on the Fn button?

Ian

Hi Ian

Yes thats the way I set my cameras.Manual focus mode 3 and then swap AEL/AFL button with the Fn so I can autofocus with the Fn button and lock exposure with a half push of the shutter.
This allows me to autofocus and then give it a manual tweek if needs be without having to keep the shutter half pushed as in SAF+MF.

I then asign the AFL/AEL button to my mode 1 which I normally have set to CAF plus a few other settings.

Ian
12th November 2010, 11:21 AM
Hi Ian

Yes thats the way I set my cameras.Manual focus mode 3 and then swap AEL/AFL button with the Fn so I can autofocus with the Fn button and lock exposure with a half push of the shutter.
This allows me to autofocus and then give it a manual tweek if needs be without having to keep the shutter half pushed as in SAF+MF.

I then asign the AFL/AEL button to my mode 1 which I normally have set to CAF plus a few other settings.

Yes OK - that should work just as on your E-3 :)

Ian