PDA

View Full Version : What lens

Wreckdiver
9th November 2010, 04:43 PM
I am considering purchasing a new lens for indoor portrait work in low light levels (in churches etc.).

The choice is down to two: the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and the Sigma 50mm/f1.4 prime lenses. The attraction here is the wide f/1.4 aperture with the increase of light and the reduction of DoF.

I have several f/2.0 lenses - 50mm macro, 14-35mm and the 35-100mm but I am wondering if the extra expense of a Sigma lens to get the extra stop versus an increase in ISO (noise increase) of 1 stop is worth it. I am really after maximum image quality though.

Anyone know which of the two Sigma lenses gives the better image quality? From the Sigma website the 30mm (DC for Digital) seems to be targeted for cameras with smaller than full frame sensors whilst the 50mm (DG for Digital) seems to be targeted for full frame sensors (though with the 4/3rds system only the middle part of the glass would be used.

Decisions, decisions :confused:

Thanks,

Steve

photo_owl
9th November 2010, 05:51 PM
I find the 30 fine at 1.8 and good at 2 - at 1.4 it does the job and the IQ degredation is less than the increase in ISO at higher levels but more than at low levels ie at 1600 on the 30 I would use 1.4 rather than increase the ISO and use the 35-100; at 200 I would favour the better lens and increased ISO.

Honestly, I wouldn't expect you to use it over your SHG glass - but you need to find that out for yourself! It is smaller and lighter than the 14-35 but it's not small or light. OTOH it is a good value lens and is very good at f2

Kiwi Paul
9th November 2010, 08:06 PM
Put the money towards an E5 which is reported to have over a stop better ISO performance than the E3 / E30 then just use the SHG lenses which you already know are good wide open.

Paul

Wreckdiver
9th November 2010, 08:22 PM
I find the 30 fine at 1.8 and good at 2 - at 1.4 it does the job and the IQ degredation is less than the increase in ISO at higher levels but more than at low levels ie at 1600 on the 30 I would use 1.4 rather than increase the ISO and use the 35-100; at 200 I would favour the better lens and increased ISO.

Honestly, I wouldn't expect you to use it over your SHG glass - but you need to find that out for yourself! It is smaller and lighter than the 14-35 but it's not small or light. OTOH it is a good value lens and is very good at f2

I am tending to err towards sticking my 35-100 as it is a superb lens. I think the cost of a Sigma lens is just not cost effective for just one extra stop.

Nice idea Paul but until the price falls I ain't forking out 1.5 grand for body only, that is just stupid money. I seriously would consider the D700 (with lens) over the E-5 at that price (even though I have a small fortune in superior Zuiko glass).

Steve

Kiwi Paul
9th November 2010, 08:42 PM
Yeah I know what you mean, that's putting me off getting the E5 too so I decided to upgrade my PC in the meantime.

Personally I don't find the E3 that bad at high ISO, certainly shooting in RAW and using LR3 to deal with the residual noise keeps me happy.

Paul

Wreckdiver
9th November 2010, 08:51 PM
Yeah I know what you mean, that's putting me off getting the E5 too so I decided to upgrade my PC in the meantime.

Personally I don't find the E3 that bad at high ISO, certainly shooting in RAW and using LR3 to deal with the residual noise keeps me happy.

Paul

Yes, I recently did the same and purchased a very nice HP 18" laptop (HP Pavilion (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-dv8-1080ea-refurbished-laptop-04092377-pdt.html)). I very rarely use the higher ISOs preferring to stick to ISO100-200 and find other ways around tricky shots.

Going back to Photo_owl's comments, I find the weight of the 14-35 (and the 35-100) don't bother me too much.

Steve

Kiwi Paul
9th November 2010, 09:03 PM
Going back to Photo_owl's comments, I find the weight of the 14-35 (and the 35-100) don't bother me too much.

Steve

Same here, when I was in Slovakia and using the 35-100 lens one of the guys commented what a huge lens it was, I'm so used to it now I don't even think about the size or weight so I was a bit surprised with his comment.

Paul

Wreckdiver
9th November 2010, 09:14 PM
Same here, when I was in Slovakia and using the 35-100 lens one of the guys commented what a huge lens it was, I'm so used to it now I don't even think about the size or weight so I was a bit surprised with his comment.

Paul

It just looks big (and impresses people) when it has the hood attached ;)

Steve