PDA

View Full Version : E-3 Tip: Button Timer

dlinney
23rd November 2007, 02:46 PM
This may be old hat to most of you (I don't know if other models have it) but I found a really, really useful feature tucked away in the menus of the E-3: Button Timer.

I couldn't get used to the having to hold down the ISO, WB or other buttons while also turning the dial to change settings (maybe I'm just cack-handed). Then I found Button Timer which when set, to say 5 seconds, has the effect of "keeping" the button pressed. So you can press and release ISO say and then just turn the dial without having to keep the button depressed.

Ian
23rd November 2007, 03:00 PM
This may be old hat to most of you (I don't know if other models have it) but I found a really, really useful feature tucked away in the menus of the E-3: Button Timer.

I couldn't get used to the having to hold down the ISO, WB or other buttons while also turning the dial to change settings (maybe I'm just cack-handed). Then I found Button Timer which when set, to say 5 seconds, has the effect of "keeping" the button pressed. So you can press and release ISO say and then just turn the dial without having to keep the button depressed.

Yes indeed - you may have noticed that the E-3 I brought with me on Tuesday had button timer set to 8 seconds :)

There are a number of things that can be discovered and there is a massive thread on our other site, Four Thirds User, which discovers lots of things about the E-3:

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?t=666

Another worth looking at is:

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?t=728

Ian

PeterD
29th November 2007, 11:21 PM

Derek
This tip was very handy. Why Olympus ship the camera expecting one to hold down a button whilst spinning the thumbwheels am at loss to understand. I found it imposible to do. I too have put a 5sec delay on and all of a sudden I find that adjustments are easy. This makes the lack of a rotary mode switch not important any more. All I have to do is get used where the many buttons are. I use the E500 and always seemed to catch the direct buttons whilst taking shots. There is so much room in the right thumb area that I doubt if I will ever have this problem with the E3.
I love the preview facility and te button placement for this is in exactly the right place.

Anyway, thanks again for your tip.

PeterD

art frames
30th November 2007, 08:49 AM
My camera arriving on Monday :). I had two calls yesterday selling available stock - DD were first up, Park two hours after.

I will be taking this good advice and setting the button timer as I need all the help I can get!

I am worried about the E3 having two many options and buttons. I will try setting up the two favourite modes as a first step to simplifying.

.. hoping for good autumn weather for all of next week if anyone has any influence on the Met Office here!

Ian
30th November 2007, 08:52 AM
My camera arriving on Monday :). I had two calls yesterday selling available stock - DD were first up, Park two hours after.

I will be taking this good advice and setting the button timer as I need all the help I can get!

I am worried about the E3 having two many options and buttons. I will try setting up the two favourite modes as a first step to simplifying.

.. hoping for good autumn weather for all of next week if anyone has any influence on the Met Office here!

Autumn?! It's winter now as far as I'm concerned :D

Ian

art frames
30th November 2007, 09:15 AM
Ian

You keep hoping for snow. I'll keep wishing for good Autumn weather. :D

Some might say we both are deluded. :eek:

Peter

PeterD
30th November 2007, 09:18 AM

Look on the bright side - ou can test the weatherproofing out for yourself. I shall, going out today but must remember to keep the lens face dry;)

PeterD

art frames
30th November 2007, 05:11 PM
Having told DD I'm out today they agreed to deliver on Monday... and then they sent it today regardless!

Luckily my neighbour was in and accepted it and I have it!

So If I see snow over the weekend Ian I'll be taking a picture!

Or, as I am playing father Christmas at my wife's school fair tomorrow perhaps she'll take pictures of that. What am I saying! No pictures

I'm going to play now.

Peter

Barr1e
30th November 2007, 05:29 PM
Having told DD I'm out today they agreed to deliver on Monday... and then they sent it today regardless!

Luckily my neighbour was in and accepted it and I have it!

So If I see snow over the weekend Ian I'll be taking a picture!

Or, as I am playing father Christmas at my wife's school fair tomorrow perhaps she'll take pictures of that. What am I saying! No pictures

I'm going to play now.

Peter

Be bold Peter:D

Regards. Barr1e

art frames
30th November 2007, 05:33 PM
It depends if there is a battery awarded for the picture!

Peter :) :) :)