PDA

View Full Version : I will have my E5 on Monday

PeterD
5th November 2010, 01:09 PM
I have just confirmed my order for the E5. Park Cameras will despatch today for delivery on Monday!

I can hardly wait.

shenstone
5th November 2010, 01:14 PM
We look forward to some speedy and excellent results

Regards
Andy

Jim Ford
5th November 2010, 01:44 PM
We look forward to some speedy and excellent results

I don't - they may make me pine for one!
;^)

Jim

gooner3900
5th November 2010, 02:28 PM
Lucky devil SRS saying not until the end of next week

PeterD
5th November 2010, 03:07 PM
Lucky devil SRS saying not until the end of next week

I have just been offered one from SRS and I am about to decline the one reserved for me. They only recieved a small initial batch. Leave it 5 mins and maybe someone else will be lucky:).
I had reserved from both sources as I believe in shortening the odds:D

gooner3900
5th November 2010, 03:33 PM
Just spoken with srs still saying end of next week before they will get them.

Barr1e
5th November 2010, 05:04 PM
Hi Peter -

I have heard that initial numbers will not cover the demand. Just think, perhaps we could get a premium on ours!

I collected mine from SRS earlier in the day. I was fortunate in getting my name on the list (which I headed) some months ago after the initial announcment.

I'm sure it will more than suit our needs IMHO.

Regards. Barr1e

Ian
5th November 2010, 05:24 PM
Hi Peter -

I have heard that initial numbers will not cover the demand. Just think, perhaps we could get a premium on ours!

I collected mine from SRS earlier in the day. I was fortunate in getting my name on the list (which I headed) some months ago after the initial announcment.

Regards. Barr1e

Yes, Barr1e is correct. I spoke to Olympus today and the first batch in is with a couple of dealers (primarily Park Cameras and SRS) but not all pre-orders will be fulfilled. Customers are also a higher priority than our hire service, so we too will have to wait for the next batch.

Ian

Garrie
5th November 2010, 05:49 PM
Nice one Peter. I look forward to seeing your results from it:)

PeterD
5th November 2010, 06:07 PM
Hi Peter -

Regards. Barr1e

I am glad you have got yours Barr1e*chr. The only shame is that you beat me to it;).

I am absolutely sure that you are correct in saying it will meet our needs:). I too felt comfortable with the camera at the launch and reserved it with both SRS and Park Cameras. I guessed that the initial deliveries would be low. I take comfort that someone on the SRS list will get the camera that was reserved for me so they too will be pleased.

Take care and GOOD SHOOTING.*chr

Blincodave
5th November 2010, 06:33 PM
Clearly you folks will now need to dispose of your unwanted E-3s and I would only be too happy to offer one a home. Anybody willing to take £300 as a charitable act?

No, I didn't think so!! Enjoy your purchases and give us plenty of updates on your progress. Yours jealously, Blincodave.

gregles
5th November 2010, 10:46 PM
Really looking forward to seeing some shots from all you lucky guys*yes

ndl0071
5th November 2010, 11:03 PM
I've planned to take the long 10min walk over to Park Cameras tomorrow, I'm wondering though if they will have any E5s on display, perhaps if I mention your order Peter they'll let me try yours before they put it in the post box, if it looks like it's just a teeny bit used when it arrives, it's because it is:D

gooner3900
6th November 2010, 04:37 PM
Got home from work late last night to find I had been rang by SRS. So I rang them this morning only to be told that they had gone down their list and anyone that answered got the E5. WAS NOT AMUSED AT ALL:mad:

PeterD
7th November 2010, 12:43 AM
Got home from work late last night to find I had been rang by SRS. So I rang them this morning only to be told that they had gone down their list and anyone that answered got the E5. WAS NOT AMUSED AT ALL:mad:

I am sorry to hear your experience. What a dreadful disappointment. I take it you will get one later in the week - I hope*yes

gooner3900
7th November 2010, 08:59 AM
Yes they are hoping to some more at the end of next week.

PeterD
7th November 2010, 01:20 PM
Yes they are hoping to some more at the end of next week.

Good luck *chr

ndl0071
8th November 2010, 08:54 AM
By the look of the weather today Pete, it looks like you'll need the E5:D

PeterD
8th November 2010, 10:42 AM
By the look of the weather today Pete, it looks like you'll need the E5:D

Thank you Neil,

The wind has at least died down now and the sun is coming out:). For how long.....who can say.

I was a bit concerned that deliveries would be cancelled because of the wind.

Looking on the bright side, assuming the camera arrives in daylight hours, I can at least prove the weather sealing;)

PeterD
8th November 2010, 08:57 PM
Well, the moment arrived at about 4pm. I opened the box with great anticipation. Barrie has already shown the unpacking so I would not want to repeat it. I hid the E3 out of sight, not wanting to upset it as it is now relegated to back-up.

I had a couple of BL -1 batteries on charge all day ready for this moment. The camera felt strangely light in weight until it dawned on me that the lens adds significantly so I fitted the 12-60 to it and the same familiar weight returned.

I had a quick scan of the handbook which I think has been a great improvement on that supplied with the E3. I loaded mu brand new SD card (ordered and received 3 weeks ago) and took some brief shots to get the feel of the camera. I was in so much of a rush (with the fading light) that I forgot to set the date and time:o.

I then loaded the software and that is where I had a shock. Bundled with the Olympus Viewer 2 comes Olympus ib. Never heard of it but it looks to be a great piece of software which does something similar to Lightroom but in some respects more. Downloaded the images then realised I had better get to know this software first. I did view the images I had taken and boy am I impressed. There is very little difference between jpg and RAW output which settled my worry that the new image processor would not give much improvement on RAW files.

I shall spend the rest of today getting familiar with the camera and software and take some images tomorrow which I shall share with you.

BTW, if anyone has had experience with Olympus ib I would appreciate your comments on this package.

Cheers for now.

Ulfric M Douglas
9th November 2010, 07:58 AM
... I hid the E3 out of sight, not wanting to upset it as it is now relegated to back-up...
It'll be out in the light as soon as you want to do some same-scene comparisons. :)
Do us all a favour and use C-AF on a speeding car or something? I know your 12-60 isn't for Birds in flight...

PeterD
9th November 2010, 08:21 AM
It'll be out in the light as soon as you want to do some same-scene comparisons. :)
Do us all a favour and use C-AF on a speeding car or something? I know your 12-60 isn't for Birds in flight...

Thanks for your reply.
We are in the middle of a thunderstorm at the moment, hopefully it will improve later in the day. If it does, I shall take some BIF using the Bigma, Macro using the Sigma 150. If the weather does not improve, I shall be left with the 12-60 only.
The big stumbling block I have come across is the lack of RAW file support from Adobe:(. This means I shall have to master the Olympus software - unless someone knows different;) At worst, I shall convert the RAW output to jpg to post.
Took a few indoor shots with the room just illuminated by 40W tungsten bulbs and no flash. I used ISO 1600 and ISO 3200 (yes 3200) and the images came out quite acceptable. Unheard of previously with my E3 where ISO 800 was my limit.

ndl0071
9th November 2010, 08:26 AM
Hi Peter

Why not convert your RAW to DNGs and open in ACR from there?

I do this with all my E30 RAWS, it works well.

PeterD
9th November 2010, 08:43 AM
Hi Peter

Why not convert your RAW to DNGs and open in ACR from there?

I do this with all my E30 RAWS, it works well.

Good morning Neil
My problem is that the only E5 RAW file capable program seems to be the Olympus software and .DNG is not available as an output option. I could export it as tif but the files would be very large. Or am I missing something?

ndl0071
9th November 2010, 08:59 AM
Peter, if you convert the E5 RAW to DNG, open the DNG in ACR and adjust to taste, open into PS or whatever you use final adjust then save as either tiff or Jpeg (or one of the other choices) does this help?

Greytop
9th November 2010, 09:02 AM
Hi Peter, you could also use a Hex editor to change the initial 'E-5' reference to say 'E-30' and process your ORF file as normal. Something like XVI32 http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm#overview should do it for you.

Looking forward to seeing some images, I'm particularly interested in your 12-60 and Sigma 150 shots ;)

PeterD
9th November 2010, 09:13 AM
Peter, if you convert the E5 RAW to DNG, open the DNG in ACR and adjust to taste, open into PS or whatever you use final adjust then save as either tiff or Jpeg (or one of the other choices) does this help?

Thanks Neil. It's the first step of converting to .DNG that has me stumped. If I could do that then Lightroom would not be a problem. What is ACR?:o

Hi Peter, you could also use a Hex editor to change the initial 'E-5' reference to say 'E-30' and process your ORF file as normal. Something like XVI32 http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm#overview should do it for you.

Looking forward to seeing some images, I'm particularly interested in your 12-60 and Sigma 150 shots ;)

Hi Huw
I would be a bit worried about mucking about with the files as, if it was that easy, why create seperate RAW files for each camera? Surely this is not the only thing that changes when say Adobe releases new versions of its RAW file converter to add new cameras.

Ian
9th November 2010, 09:32 AM
Adobe Camera RAW 6.3 release candidate is out now (as is RC 3.3 for Lightroom) but the E-5 is not supported.

Just over a week ago Olympus released an update to Viewer 2 that incorporated E-5 compatibility, but it doesn't offer a DNG export option. Bibble might have an update for the E-5, but I haven't checked yet.

Ian

Ian
9th November 2010, 09:33 AM

I'd be cautious about this method...

Ian

Greytop
9th November 2010, 09:35 AM
Hi Huw
I would be a bit worried about mucking about with the files as, if it was that easy, why create seperate RAW files for each camera? Surely this is not the only thing that changes when say Adobe releases new versions of its RAW file converter to add new cameras.

Hi Peter, if you create a backup of each RAW file you've nothing to lose.
There are probably subtle differences/optimisations in how a RAW converter deals with an E-30 verses an E-5 file but I doubt it would be anything major. Colour balance should be pretty close, so I suspect it would probably be default noise and sharpness settings but these are easily changed.
I've played around with a couple of E-5 ORF files in CaptureOne Pro (my favoured RAW converter) after hex editing, it worked out quite well :)

PeterD
9th November 2010, 09:37 AM
Adobe Camera RAW 6.3 release candidate is out now (as is RC 3.3 for Lightroom) but the E-5 is not supported.

Just over a week ago Olympus released an update to Viewer 2 that incorporated E-5 compatibility, but it doesn't offer a DNG export option. Bibble might have an update for the E-5, but I haven't checked yet.

Ian

Thanks Ian, that is what I too have found with ACR and the Olympus software. Not sure about Bibble as I have not heard of it.

PeterD
9th November 2010, 09:43 AM
Hi Peter, if you create a backup of each RAW file you've nothing to lose.
There are probably subtle differences/optimisations in how a RAW converter deals with an E-30 verses an E-5 file but I doubt it would be anything major. Colour balance should be pretty close, so I suspect it would probably be default noise and sharpness settings but these are easily changed.
I've played around with a couple of E-5 ORF files in CaptureOne Pro (my favoured RAW converter) after hex editing, it worked out quite well :)

Thanks Huw.
Yes, if I back up all my files (which is what I do) then I would be safe to experiment. It is more to do with spending too much time on fumbling in the dark that puts me off this approach. I was an electronic engineer in anoher life and used to programme but one thing I have learnt from this experience is not to dabble too much when you do not know what you are doing.

Ian
9th November 2010, 10:08 AM
I don't recommend hacking E-5 files this way (making them look like E-30 RAW files for example). The E-5 has a completely different low pass (anti-aliasing) filter so the processing of the files to minimise moiré will be very different.

I would recommend using Olympus Viewer 2, which is now completely compatible with the E-5, for now.

Bibble is an independent RAW conversion program and they often achieve compatibility with new cameras before Adobe.

Ian

PeterD
9th November 2010, 10:24 AM
I don't recommend hacking E-5 files this way (making them look like E-30 RAW files for example). The E-5 has a completely different low pass (anti-aliasing) filter so the processing of the files to minimise moiré will be very different.

I would recommend using Olympus Viewer 2, which is now completely compatible with the E-5, for now.

Bibble is an independent RAW conversion program and they often achieve compatibility with new cameras before Adobe.

Ian

Thanks Ian:).

Greytop
9th November 2010, 10:46 AM

Ian

Hi Ian, I agree with you in that hex hacking of the RAW file wouldn't be my definitive solution to processing E-5 files. However to try a few out I'm sure it wouldn't hurt :)
Having said that the Oly software package is probably the best solution for Peter at the moment.
With regard to the low pass filter, it was my understanding (from what I have read) that processing of the files to minimise moiré is largely handled by the E-5 camera electronics prior to the production of the RAW (or Jpeg) file. This is one factor that attracts me to the E-5 as an upgrade because I tend to work with RAW pretty much 100%.

PeterD
9th November 2010, 11:16 AM
Hi Ian, I agree with you in that hex hacking of the RAW file wouldn't be my definitive solution to processing E-5 files. However to try a few out I'm sure it wouldn't hurt :)
Having said that the Oly software package is probably the best solution for Peter at the moment.
With regard to the low pass filter, it was my understanding (from what I have read) that processing of the files to minimise moiré is largely handled by the E-5 camera electronics prior to the production of the RAW (or Jpeg) file. This is one factor that attracts me to the E-5 as an upgrade because I tend to work with RAW pretty much 100%.

Hi Huw

Have a look at this thread > http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11687. Whilst this is a review of the E5 it does go through the techy bits very well and there is a couple of block diagrams which I am sure you will find useful (I did) on how the hardware operates between the Image Processor and Sensor.
I have already done a quick comparison between RAW and jpg output from the camera (comparing the two files output when set to RAW +jpg). They look very similar and from that I concluded that RAW was not a poor cousin of jpg. I shall try and post some images for this comparison later. I too wanted RAW performance to be very good.

Greytop
9th November 2010, 11:30 AM
Hi Huw

Have a look at this thread > http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11687. Whilst this is a review of the E5 it does go through the techy bits very well and there is a couple of block diagrams which I am sure you will find useful (I did) on how the hardware operates between the Image Processor and Sensor.
I have already done a quick comparison between RAW and jpg output from the camera (comparing the two files output when set to RAW +jpg). They look very similar and from that I concluded that RAW was not a poor cousin of jpg. I shall try and post some images for this comparison later. I too wanted RAW performance to be very good.

Thanks Peter, that is very useful.
It's also good to hear that your results are showing this too. I look forward to seeing some examples *chr

PeterD
9th November 2010, 12:43 PM
These are all with the ZD 12-60 lens fitted. BO post processing. The RAW images have merely been converted to jpg (High Quality) for comparison.
I have chosen this particular subject because of the colours and for sharpness.

ISO 200
http://peterd-2009.smugmug.com/Test-Images/Zuiko-12-60-lens/Olympus-E5-Test-Images/PB097258/1084058553_KX5ss-XL.jpg
JPG O/P

http://peterd-2009.smugmug.com/Test-Images/Zuiko-12-60-lens/Olympus-E5-Test-Images/PB097258ISO-200-RAW-File/1084068645_rcwK2-XL.jpg
RAW O/P

ISO 1600
http://peterd-2009.smugmug.com/Test-Images/Zuiko-12-60-lens/Olympus-E5-Test-Images/PB097259/1084059161_Py3oh-XL.jpg
JPG O/P

http://peterd-2009.smugmug.com/Test-Images/Zuiko-12-60-lens/Olympus-E5-Test-Images/PB097259-ISO-1600-RAW/1084069086_cxPZc-XL.jpg
RAW O/P

ISO 3200
http://peterd-2009.smugmug.com/Test-Images/Zuiko-12-60-lens/Olympus-E5-Test-Images/PB097260/1084059052_PeNa6-XL.jpg
JPG O/P

http://peterd-2009.smugmug.com/Test-Images/Zuiko-12-60-lens/Olympus-E5-Test-Images/PB097260-ISO-3200/1084068899_yerZw-XL.jpg
RAW O/P

I have deliberately keprt the sizes down to extra large to save people time.
If you want the oiginal size images, you can select them from my website by selecting O from the popout when hovering over the image.

More to come later.

Greytop
9th November 2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks for posting these Peter, it's very useful to get real world feed back like this.
Having downloaded the full size images (again thank you) it looks to me like ISO 1600 is very good and 3200 is pretty useable.
Looking good *chr

Ian
9th November 2010, 01:20 PM

This is a subject of much debate. In theory, raw files should be just that, the un-processed data right out of the analogue to digital converter. The TruePic image processing engine does process the RAW data to produce JPEGs, but just how much it affects the RAW data before it is saved as an ORF file on your camera's memory card is a good question.

Ian

PeterD
9th November 2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks for posting these Peter, it's very useful to get real world feed back like this.
Having downloaded the full size images (again thank you) it looks to me like ISO 1600 is very good and 3200 is pretty useable.
Looking good *chr

Thanks - thats how I thought about it last night when taking the indoor shots under weak lighting.
It is clear to me that the improvements are not just a tweak. Now, with the extended useable ISO range, I expect to be able to use this for my wildlife shooting using the Bigma, increasing the shutter speed in dull and overcast conditions. Another experiment to carry out soon:).

PeterD
9th November 2010, 01:29 PM
This is a subject of much debate. In theory, raw files should be just that, the un-processed data right out of the analogue to digital converter. The TruePic image processing engine does process the RAW data to produce JPEGs, but just how much it affects the RAW data before it is saved as an ORF file on your camera's memory card is a good question.

Ian

My thoughts too. I have seen the images of both output types and could see very little difference between them. Given the fact that I cannot usefully upload the RAW files themselves, I thought that the way I have produced them (without additional processing save conversion to jpg) would give some idea of the performance.

Zuiko
9th November 2010, 02:20 PM
Ahh, at least I won't have any concerns about raw compatability by the time I get my E-5. :D Unless, of course, by then the E-5 is obsolete and no longer supported. :(

andym
9th November 2010, 02:34 PM
Ahh, at least I won't have any concerns about raw compatability by the time I get my E-5. :D Unless, of course, by then the E-5 is obsolete and no longer supported. :(

More likely Raw will have disappeared by the time you and I get one.:D

Barr1e
9th November 2010, 06:15 PM
More likely Raw will have disappeared by the time you and I get one.:D

Just like the weather today. *snowflake

Regards. Barr1e