PDA

View Full Version : Hi, from Malaysia

blu-by-u
6th March 2008, 02:28 AM
Hi,

Signing in from Malaysia. Hope to learn more about photography. Please excuse this newbie and correct me where necessary.

Cheers and thanks in advance. :D

OlyFlyer
6th March 2008, 06:57 AM
Another familiar face...

;) :D :)

Hi Blu,

Welcome. Not much else I can say except, Don't call me Uncle! Makes me feel old. :mad:

Cheers!

PeterD
6th March 2008, 07:34 AM
Hi Blu

Welcome to the site. Plenty of support if you need it. Look forward to seeing some of your images in the gallery.

PeterD

emirpprime
6th March 2008, 07:45 AM
Hello and welcome :D
Phil

blu-by-u
6th March 2008, 07:50 AM
Hi Olyflyer...nice to see you here also...ok...no uncle olyflyer.

PeterD, my images so fars nothing but garbage. Composing is one thing I have yet to learn.

Haisbro
6th March 2008, 08:01 AM
Hi,

Signing in from Malaysia. Hope to learn more about photography. Please excuse this newbie and correct me where necessary.

Cheers and thanks in advance. :D

Where are you based in Malaysia

David

PeterD
6th March 2008, 08:09 AM
Hi Olyflyer...nice to see you here also...ok...no uncle olyflyer.

PeterD, my images so fars nothing but garbage. Composing is one thing I have yet to learn.

Hi blu

I have looked at your images and can say that they cannot be described as garbage. Yes, there are opportunities to improve but they definitely are NOT bin items.

I love the richness of colours and the subjects chosen. Why not try posting a couple in our fotofare section and see what others can offer you.

My questions are, what post processing application are you using and are these straight from the camera?
I think tonal changes and sharpening up some of the images would go a long way. Particularly in the case of the macro shots.

Give it a whirl - what have you to lose?

Enjoy your stay here. We all want to help each other.

PeterD

blu-by-u
6th March 2008, 08:18 AM
Hi Haisbro, Me hails from the state of Selangor. My place of resident is Subang Jaya, just outside of the capital of Kuala Lumpur.

PeterD, let me have enough courage to put my stuff up. As for the post processing, I am using the Olympus Master 2 and Faststone viewer. The earlier photos of a 6 months back were all done with the RAW Shooter Premium.

PeterD
6th March 2008, 08:28 AM
Hi Haisbro, Me hails from the state of Selangor. My place of resident is Subang Jaya, just outside of the capital of Kuala Lumpur.

PeterD, let me have enough courage to put my stuff up. As for the post processing, I am using the Olympus Master 2 and Faststone viewer. The earlier photos of a 6 months back were all done with the RAW Shooter Premium.

Take you time blu. We try always to give positive feedback as this is the only way to help and support each other.

I lived in Ipoh, Perak, for 3 years in the 1950's (oops, giving my age away). I loved Malaysia and Singapore where I lived for 3 years in the 1960's. I can still remember the evening chorus of the insects and the wonderful fresh smell after a monsoon.

PeterD

blu-by-u
6th March 2008, 08:50 AM
Oh..you are a M'sian also?

It's really sad case here in Subang Jaya. We are loosing all the majestic old trees to "progress" :(

It's haze, smog and nothing interesting to shoot these days and hence I only shoot when I am on tours.

jmoh
6th March 2008, 09:06 AM
Well, well, well........And A Big Hello To You Blu!.....Welcome Here Brudder!....Wah Another anak Malaysia and a Good Oly Buddy here!!!.....Post Your PANAROMA Here Blu........ ''SELAMAT DATANG BRUDDER ''....*waving*waving*waving......Thanks....James.

Barr1e
6th March 2008, 09:06 AM
Hi blu -

Welcome to e-group. Hope you enjoy this wonderful site.

Regards. Barr1e

PeterD
6th March 2008, 09:07 AM
Oh..you are a M'sian also?

It's really sad case here in Subang Jaya. We are loosing all the majestic old trees to "progress" :(

It's haze, smog and nothing interesting to shoot these days and hence I only shoot when I am on tours.

No blu,

I lived there on the first occasion when my Father served there in the Army and the second occasion when I served there too, again in the Army.

Whilst in Malaysia (Malaya as it was then) I went to school in the Cameron Highlands. We travelled by train to Tipoh and then in a Military Convoy to the school. At the time there was a lot of problems with CTs. Whilst at school though, I used to wander far and wide through the highlands admiring nature, catching butterflies and bringing large lizards and other creatures (alive of course) back to school for temporary display before being released. It was my time doing this that I really got to appreciate the beauty about us. Its sad to think that a large part of the Highlands is now under water with the Dam that was created in the 1960's and I understand that a proposal to create a highway through the Highlands was rejected. I know we need to progress but we tend to destroy our heritage in doing this. It seems that checks are now made against wanton destruction and this was the reason for the rejection of the highway scheme.

PeterD

Ian
6th March 2008, 09:17 AM
No blu,

I lived there on the first occasion when my Father served there in the Army and the second occasion when I served there too, again in the Army.

Whilst in Malaysia (Malaya as it was then) I went to school in the Cameron Highlands. We travelled by train to Tipoh and then in a Military Convoy to the school. At the time there was a lot of problems with CTs. Whilst at school though, I used to wander far and wide through the highlands admiring nature, catching butterflies and bringing large lizards and other creatures (alive of course) back to school for temporary display before being released. It was my time doing this that I really got to appreciate the beauty about us. Its sad to think that a large part of the Highlands is now under water with the Dam that was created in the 1960's and I understand that a proposal to create a highway through the Highlands was rejected. I know we need to progress but we tend to destroy our heritage in doing this. It seems that checks are now made against wanton destruction and this was the reason for the rejection of the highway scheme.

PeterD

Peter, I know what you mean :)

I spent stints in Indonesia (Jakarta), Malaysia (KL) and the Philippines as a child, though this wasn't because of the military. My mother is from the Philippines and my father was seconded to various institutions for agricultural economic projects around the Far East.

I remember the local tropical fish seller visiting our home in Jakarta - with a shoulder 'yoke' balancing several large jars of fish at either end. Of course we had a pond and most of the tropical fish lived outside in the pond. The geckos, other exotic lizards, flying fish, big rats, toads - so many memories! :)

Ian

Haisbro
6th March 2008, 10:13 AM

Welcome, I have had some great holidays in Malaysia, Langkawi, Penang KL and Sabah(Borneo), very friendly people and great food!

David

blu-by-u
7th March 2008, 12:51 AM
Hi all...never expected to feel so welcome to any community before than this...WOW!!!

Thought Malaysia is only a small dot in this huge globe we called earth...With many asking if Malaysia is in Singapore!!! kekekeke.. I guess all of you know this hot wet humid place I call home. :rolleyes:

And Uncle James!!! hehehe Followed you posting of cicak's niece here...:D
Where can my lowly panoramas meet the standards of this place. I am still learning and have a long way to go.

PeterD
7th March 2008, 04:55 AM
Hi all...never expected to feel so welcome to any community before than this...WOW!!!

Thought Malaysia is only a small dot in this huge globe we called earth...With many asking if Malaysia is in Singapore!!! kekekeke.. I guess all of you know this hot wet humid place I call home. :rolleyes:

And Uncle James!!! hehehe Followed you posting of cicak's niece here...:D
Where can my lowly panoramas meet the standards of this place. I am still learning and have a long way to go.

blu Good morning

If you want to see my efforts when I first started out with the E3, they were rubbish. But as time has gone on I have improved and yes, I still have a mountain to climb. Its the good guys here who have helped. Its very difficult to try and improve on your own. It could take a very long time.

Not wanting to put pressure on you but, take a deep breath and post one image in the gallery then show it fotofare. You will be surprised at the response you will get.

You mention Singapore. What are the relations like between Malaysia and Singapore? They were not that brilliant in the '60s.

PeterD

blu-by-u
7th March 2008, 05:02 AM
Hi PeterD..I took your advice..I posted in the shoot me section.

I was in London more than 3 decades ago and while touring there, there were people who actually asked me where Malaysia was...They have heard of Singapore but not Malaysia..Some actually asked me if Malaysia was in Singapore. There were some who thought Malaysians still lived in trees...but of course we did not...(maybe them houses on stilts) that have changed...may be for the worst now as we now are constantly plagued by flash floods...we may be better off living in boats!!!

(oops my age is reveled)

PeterD
7th March 2008, 10:20 AM
Hi PeterD..I took your advice..I posted in the shoot me section.

I was in London more than 3 decades ago and while touring there, there were people who actually asked me where Malaysia was...They have heard of Singapore but not Malaysia..Some actually asked me if Malaysia was in Singapore. There were some who thought Malaysians still lived in trees...but of course we did not...(maybe them houses on stilts) that have changed...may be for the worst now as we now are constantly plagued by flash floods...we may be better off living in boats!!!

(oops my age is reveled)

Hi blu

Checked the site for your image that you posted - couldn't find it.

Its such a shame that the traditional houses are being replaced with 'modern' style housing outside of the towns/cities. They were so sensible and in some ways better places to live. Still, they call that progress.

I remember in the 1960's kampongs were being removed on Singapore to make way for high rise flats. I am not sure that the villiagers were happy with this change. I am sure the island will not bear much resemblance to what I remember, nor Malaysia from what you say.

PeterD

blu-by-u
12th March 2008, 07:30 AM
Think these are the only stilt houses you will ever find in the near future...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2327864299_8883c0cdda.jpg (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2327864299_8883c0cdda_b.jpg)

BTW, it's taken with the 70-300 from across a sea inlet..A 6 picture panorama!!! hehehe.

PeterD
12th March 2008, 07:47 AM
Think these are the only stilt houses you will ever find in the near future...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2327864299_8883c0cdda.jpg (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2327864299_8883c0cdda_b.jpg)

BTW, it's taken with the 70-300 from across a sea inlet..A 6 picture panorama!!! hehehe.

Very nice blu and the houses are much grander than I remember them. The ones I recall are those found along rivers and on the coast which were basically long houses. The purpose of course being that they were kept well above flood plains. Have these all gone then?

PeterD

blu-by-u
12th March 2008, 08:26 AM
Some are still around but you really got to go out looking for them. I think one can still find them in to really out skirts of the towns and in the farms.