PDA

View Full Version : Lumix DMW - FL500 TTL Question

Garrie
31st October 2010, 02:59 PM
Hi All,

About a 18 months ago I managed to get myself a brand new Lumix FL500 for 100. Its pretty much the same as the Oly FL50 I think.

Now I don't really use flash alot (if at all). My question is will this do TTL on my E3 and how to I check its doing correctly?

I normally just keep it in auto mode but I've noticed there is TTL and TTL FP. Is TTL better than auto? I'm confussed lol.

Any tip or help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Garrie

Bikie John
31st October 2010, 04:45 PM
Garrie - I don't know about compatibility but you might find some info buried in the oly or (more likely) Panny website.

The difference between TTL and TTL FP:

TTL is "normal" - the unit gives a single flash, the TTL bit is that the camera decides when it has had enough light and sends a signal to the flash to turn off. I think this is called a quench signal. Advantage - it's simple. Disavantage - it doesn't work with fast shutter speeds. This is because the flash is very short, of the order of a thousandth of a second. You need a slow enough shutter speed that the focal plane shutter is completely open. At higher speeds it acts like a slit travelling across the sensor, and only the bit not covered by the shutter blinds gets the benefit of the flash. The camera's manual should tell you what the fastest speed is that you can use. IIRC it is 1/180 for the E-3.

TTL FP is a funny beast. It gives a longer flash (it doesn't really, it give a series of short pulses but the effect is the same). Then in efect the flash starts, the shutter does its stuff then the flash closes. Advantage - you can use higher shutter speeds because the flash is on for the whole of the exposure. This can be helpful when using it for fill-in in bright conditions. Disadvantage - exposure is harder to work out. The flash manual should tell you how to work it out. I imagine that the Panasonic and Olympus manuals are very similar in this respect, at least one of them might be online somewhere.

Cheers, hope this helps ... John